ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 29
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Frazod 11:03 AM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
I haven't seen the new one yet (seeing it tomorrow), but I imagine they didn't go much into the Baron's sexual preferences. Tough to have an evil pederast villain in this day and age.
Not at all. Of course, the key scene where that comes into play that may or may not make the cut would be in the second part.

The Emperor was discussed but not shown. There was also no mention of the Fenrings, but again they wouldn't appear until part 2. The scene where Jessica finds the note from Lady Margot was not in the movie.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:23 AM 10-22-2021
Was disappointed not to see the space guild.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:46 AM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Wait.

No fucking guild navigator scene?
[Reply]
Frazod 12:08 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Pretty sure they showed some guild members, but no navigators.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:13 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Pretty sure they showed some guild members, but no navigators.
What in the actual fuck.

Are they going to show that scene as a flashback to reveal a conspiracy?
[Reply]
Frazod 01:03 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
What in the actual fuck.

Are they going to show that scene as a flashback to reveal a conspiracy?
I was not consulted.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:26 PM 10-22-2021
Really good take on a really tough to film book (which I've probably read 15 times, it's my favorite...)
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pants 01:48 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I was not consulted.
They fucked up. :-)
[Reply]
HC_Chief 01:55 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
If you had read the books you would understand how bad Lynch F'ed up that movie and the mini-series tried but failed. I really hope this one clicks.
Lynch's Dune was both awful and awesome. It is one of those "good bad movies". I am referring to the theatrical version, with the pared down exposition, not that fuckawful abortion of an edit made for television release. The TV cut was "extended" to allow for more commercial slots, and included the worst exposition ever captured on film. FFS, much of it was accompanied by horrible drawings and matte stills too shitty for use in the theatrical release. When I saw that cut I wondered if that was the version Roger Ebert watched and described as the worst movie ever made?

I liked the SyFy mini series. They did the best job covering this admittedly difficult series of books (well, at least the first two).
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:35 PM 10-22-2021
Still very different from my own mental images from the text, but much better and accessible. At least it's not distractingly weird in and of itself, just distracting for someone with strong existing mental imagery.

The gom jabbar scene was great. The overall cinematography wasn't all that flashy or anything, but Chalamet's presence and expressiveness along with the score really knocked it home, . . . legit lumped up and almost had to bow out for a moment.

One weird, thing that was massively distracting once I actually noticed. Never in my life did it even occur to me to enunciate 'Muad'Dib' as Mahdy. Many more syllables in my own head, . . . something along the lines of Mwah-DEEB-uh. Didn't even register that's what they were referring to at first.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:57 PM 10-22-2021
He hasn't taken the name Muad'dib yet. What you heard was Mahdi, the messianic figure put into place by the Bene Gesserit.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:57 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
He hasn't taken the name Muad'dib yet. What you heard was Mahdi, the messianic figure put into place by the Bene Gesserit.
Look at this fucking nerd. I love it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:03 PM 10-22-2021
So Star Wars meets GoT meets Tremors.

I dug it.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:10 PM 10-22-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
They did show the mouse a couple of times, though.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:18 PM 10-22-2021
No one complaining about all the fucking lasers?
[Reply]
Page 15 of 29
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up