DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
eDave 07:58 AM 06-25-2021
It's still a 401K.
[Reply]
Chazno 08:10 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Is that the same as a Roth IRA? I've contributed to it with post-tax money since it's inception so I'm assuming so.. but figured I'd ask people here who know better.
Its still a 401k. You'll be taxed on distributions. Don't contribute post tax dollars to it, open a Roth IRA and put those dollars there.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:14 AM 06-25-2021
That reminds me: so I had a 401k through a previous job with T. Rowe Price. When I left that job, I stayed with T. Rowe Price and now it's labelled as a Rollover 401k.

Is that the same as a Roth IRA? I've contributed to it with post-tax money since it's inception so I'm assuming so.. but figured I'd ask people here who know better.
I'm 95 percent sure that's different. If it went through your employer it likely wasn't a Roth then, so unless you specifically converted it (paying some extra taxes in the process), it's not a Roth now.

If you're contributing post-tax dollars and it's not a Roth, you should be deducting those contributions on your tax forms.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:23 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
It's still a 401K.
Originally Posted by Chazno:
Its still a 401k. You'll be taxed on distributions. Don't contribute post tax dollars to it, open a Roth IRA and put those dollars there.
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm 95 percent sure that's different. If it went through your employer it likely wasn't a Roth then, so unless you specifically converted it (paying some extra taxes in the process), it's not a Roth now.

If you're contributing post-tax dollars and it's not a Roth, you should be deducting those contributions on your tax forms.
Motherfucker! Sounds like I fucked myself a bit.

Thanks, guys.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:23 AM 06-25-2021
That reminds me: so I had a 401k through a previous job with T. Rowe Price. When I left that job, I stayed with T. Rowe Price and now it's labelled as a Rollover 401k.

As others said, it's still a 401k. They probably just change the title in your account to reflect that it's no longer associated with your previous employer.

You can either just leave it alone or roll it over to a different type of retirement account. I'd be a little cautious about continuing to contribute to it without talking to T. Rowe Price about it, though. I'm not sure what the contribution rules are for an orphaned account like that.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:27 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
As others said, it's still a 401k. They probably just change the title in your account to reflect that it's no longer associated with your previous employer.

You can either just leave it alone or roll it over to a different type of retirement account. I'd be a little cautious about continuing to contribute to it without talking to T. Rowe Price about it, though. I'm not sure what the contribution rules are for an orphaned account like that.
I will speak to a rep to be sure, but just to clarify my situation a bit more: it's apparently got a $6000/year limit on contributions. So my dumbass contributed the max $6000 for the years of 2020 and 2021 (or maybe 2019 and 2020, idk). I contributed that money directly from my linked bank account so it's definitely post-tax. If I'm understanding correctly, I will have already paid taxes on that money as it was previously earned and then they will tax it when I withdraw it upon retirement. That's some bullshit.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:31 AM 06-25-2021
Basically he was only able to pull this off because he was a accredited investor who had access to shares of his own company before anyone else.

No, the average person cannot pull this off.
This is correct also.

I’m just noting that he pays no taxes on any realized gains in a ROTH while his tax bill in a standard brokerage account would have been huge with these realized gains.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:34 AM 06-25-2021
I will speak to a rep to be sure, but just to clarify my situation a bit more: it's apparently got a $6000/year limit on contributions. So my dumbass contributed the max $6000 for the years of 2020 and 2021 (or maybe 2019 and 2020, idk). I contributed that money directly from my linked bank account so it's definitely post-tax. If I'm understanding correctly, I will have already paid taxes on that money as it was previously earned and then they will tax it when I withdraw it upon retirement. That's some bullshit.
If it's got a $6k cap on there, I bet they automatically rolled it into a traditional IRA. It's roughly the same in terms of tax implications, but it has lower caps and obviously doesn't have an employer contributing to it.

A little confusing if they called it a "Rollover 401k" since that's not really a thing, but that almost has to be what's going on. Again, I'd contact them about it.

EDIT: Although the "directly from my linked bank account" part is odd, since that would suggest a Roth instead of a Traditional IRA. That's definitely confusing.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:40 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If it's got a $6k cap on there, I bet they automatically rolled it into a traditional IRA. It's roughly the same in terms of tax implications, but it has lower caps and obviously doesn't have an employer contributing to it.

A little confusing if they called it a "Rollover 401k" since that's not really a thing, but that almost has to be what's going on. Again, I'd contact them about it.
Hah. I am a total dipshit.

It is labeled as a rollover IRA. My mistake! Sorry, I wasn't 100% informed on the difference between 401ks and IRAs so I guess I kinda looked at them as interchangeable terms.

I appreciate the help.

EDIT for your edit: Whenever they rolled it over after I left my previous employer, I just let it sit for quite some time, but not too long ago I linked my bank account to it so that I could transfer funds. That's how I contributed the $6k for the two previous years, just moved the money straight from my bank account into the rollover retirement account.. if that makes sense.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:44 AM 06-25-2021

It is labeled as a rollover IRA. My mistake! Sorry, I wasn't 100% informed on the difference between 401ks and IRAs so I guess I kinda looked at them as interchangeable terms.

I appreciate the help.
The fact that you've been able to contribute directly is a little odd, though. For tax purposes, Traditional IRAs and 401ks are roughly the same, while Roths are pretty different (and I'm pretty sure you would have known about that happening).

But if they converted it to a Traditional, you shouldn't be contributing to it directly. Or at least if you are, those dollars should be tax deductible. At a minimum, you need to confirm what type of an account it is, and if it's a Traditional IRA, I'd dig into whether you can get some tax money back for what you've contributed.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:51 AM 06-25-2021
Yep, I will speak to a rep. Thanks for the help, bros.
[Reply]
eDave 08:52 AM 06-25-2021
Yep, I will speak to a rep. Thanks for the help, bros.
Bringing this tread back to it's roots.
[Reply]
-King- 11:03 AM 06-25-2021
Bringing this tread back to it's roots.
Yeah I don't like it.

Virus, after you talk to the rep, tell them to transfer the entire balance to AMC and Dogecoin.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:58 AM 06-25-2021

I appreciate the help.

EDIT for your edit: Whenever they rolled it over after I left my previous employer, I just let it sit for quite some time, but not too long ago I linked my bank account to it so that I could transfer funds. That's how I contributed the $6k for the two previous years, just moved the money straight from my bank account into the rollover retirement account.. if that makes sense.
Yeah. It will be taxable on withdrawals but you should be able to deduct the contributions from the your taxable income the year you made them. If you did it this year for sure deduct them. Might be worth amending your return if your preparer works cheap.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:03 PM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Yeah I don't like it.

Virus, after you talk to the rep, tell them to transfer the entire balance to AMC and Dogecoin.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 686 of 934
« First < 186586636676682683684685686 687688689690696736786 > Last »
Up