ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 221
« First < 81415161718 192021222868118 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:29 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Our boat is stored near Bucksaw, so usually in that area if we are just down there for the day. If we're camping for the weekend we go to Long Shoal.
Same as above to you. I don't work on boats though...lol.

if you ever need a tow to anywhere do not call precision tow.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:35 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
I fished it once. I didn't catch anything, but I buy bait from a guy over there who claims it's a decent crappie lake.
Yea i'm trying to find some good spots. I've been there a few times and haven't caught anything but I love the lake it's gotta be the biggest lake in JOCO.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 10:51 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Not really, one aisle mainly lures in the $5-6 range. It's kind of surprising, they use to carry a lot of lures. I haven't shopped for lures in 10 years though.
Do a craigslist search for "Fishing" and you can usually find someone selling out for cheap. Ebay also has some fantastic deals on fishing lures. If you find some you like, check and see if the seller has a store - that way you can stock up and only pay for shipping once.
[Reply]
tooge 11:49 AM 04-04-2011
my kids and I caught some real nice bluegills in our pond on a little minnow "fly" in sort of a crawdad color. dont even cast it out, just use a long crappie pole I have that is 9 feet long, and dangle it out in the pond. I gutted, scaled, scored, breaded, and deep fried the 'gills. They were tremendous. Love watching the kids eat the fins and tails like potato chips
[Reply]
philfree 12:10 PM 04-04-2011
My favorite lures are an old Jitter Bug and an old Lucky 13.

PhilFree:-)
[Reply]
Old Dog 01:06 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by scott free:
go to the bass pro site & order at least 1 of anything that looks cool
If I tried that, it would take Bill Gates to pay the tab. They have way too many things that just scream, "That thing HAS to catch fish".

It seems like 90% of the time I end up going back to a jig of some sort, a crankbait, or a plastic of some type anyway. But it is fun trying out the newest "must-have"
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 01:31 PM 04-04-2011
What ever you do don't start watching the "Bassmasters" I find myself having to have everything that Kevin Van Damn catches a fish on... And that dude catches a lot of fish.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 01:52 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by JimBaker488:
Anybody here done much fly fishing using non fly fishing equipment, i.e., a spinning reel & rod ? It's well known that a lot of so called fly fishing is really done with nymphs and other lures to fish for trout sub-surface. As a matter of fact I understand in many areas most of the "fly fishing" is done sub surface ?
I don't really understand your question, but if you want to use spinning equipment to throw small nymph-like creatures, you might want to google "trout magnets"
[Reply]
tooge 03:39 PM 04-04-2011
Or, just use a very small (1/64) weight pinched about a foot above the nymph, and a clear bubble float with a small floresent orange dot painted on it so it also acts as an indicator. You can't really throw dry's this way, but any subsurface fly, yes
[Reply]
R8RFAN 05:18 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by tooge:
my kids and I caught some real nice bluegills in our pond on a little minnow "fly" in sort of a crawdad color. dont even cast it out, just use a long crappie pole I have that is 9 feet long, and dangle it out in the pond. I gutted, scaled, scored, breaded, and deep fried the 'gills. They were tremendous. Love watching the kids eat the fins and tails like potato chips
Those kids will remember that for life.... :-)
[Reply]
munkey 05:46 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by tooge:
lol....when I was 12 I lived in a condo community that had these HUGE ponds filled with Coy...My buddy thought it would fun to go out on a tube late at night and catch a couple of them....well we did...we gutted, scaled, dredged in flour, fried and fed them to my little brother. I got busted because the little asshole loved the fins....:-)

To this day my mother will bring up that story because the little bastard said "Mom...."those fins were nice and crispy"...

Good times...
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 08:18 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by philfree:
My favorite lures are an old Jitter Bug and an old Lucky 13.

PhilFree:-)
Old school. Add a hulapopper and you have a tackle box
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 02:13 PM 04-13-2011
Pretty exciting day for me as a Dad. Baby girl caught her first fish with very little assistance.
Attached: 207400_1948632924049_1489371463_32164992_3354597_n-1.jpg (66.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Old Dog 02:16 PM 04-13-2011
Congrats to your Little Princess, and to you too, Dad.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 02:17 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Old school. Add a hulapopper and you have a tackle box
Mepps and Rooster Tail spinners, I’ve been very few places that I couldn’t pull something out of the water with one of those.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 221
« First < 81415161718 192021222868118 > Last »
Up