ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 12
« First < 56789 101112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:14 PM 08-17-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
KCUnited always killing it. I may try that.

I got my lids and started a garlic, habanero, onion and peach ferment. Will go 2-4 weeks before making the hot sauce.

These lids seems pretty legit and the glass weights are super heavy.

Mind sending me your recipe for this?
[Reply]
lewdog 03:03 PM 08-17-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Mind sending me your recipe for this?
I have no idea what I’m doing! I just threw some random stuff in there and probably too many habaneros (8). I’ll blend at the end of the month and let you know. Lol
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:05 PM 08-18-2021
I have no idea what I’m doing! I just threw some random stuff in there and probably too many habaneros (8). I’ll blend at the end of the month and let you know. Lol
I followed your advice and threw a bunch of shit in a mason jar! Onion, garlic, habanero, a jalapeño (had a spare), some bell pepper and carrot.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:50 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I followed your advice and threw a bunch of shit in a mason jar! Onion, garlic, habanero, a jalapeño (had a spare), some bell pepper and carrot.
All the alpha males are hitting this thread man.

Love it!
[Reply]
srvy 07:36 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Got about 10lbs of peaches from my neighbors tree. Going to give this recipe a go.

TL;DW - Fresno peppers, peaches, red onion (will likely add a hab or 2 to up the heat)

Yeah the fresno is about the equal of jalapeno on the Scoville scale. Might need to kick it up a bit with a few Habs.

I am getting bids on removing a 36in diameter Pin Oak right square in middle my backyard. It completely shades the backyard and makes a garden impossible. I miss fresh tomato vegis and Peppers.

My wife keeps a couple of potted Thai peppers. She will take an empty wine bottle place TP, red onion. garlic and some stuff I don't what it is. fill with apple cider vinegar. then blend for a Thai pepper sauce.
[Reply]
kstater 07:54 PM 08-18-2021
Got that kit tonight. Basically our garden was a bust this year other than peppers, so hot sauces it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:05 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yeah the fresno is about the equal of jalapeno on the Scoville scale. Might need to kick it up a bit with a few Habs.

I am getting bids on removing a 36in diameter Pin Oak right square in middle my backyard. It completely shades the backyard and makes a garden impossible. I miss fresh tomato vegis and Peppers.

My wife keeps a couple of potted Thai peppers. She will take an empty wine bottle place TP, red onion. garlic and some stuff I don't what it is. fill with apple cider vinegar. then blend for a Thai pepper sauce.
I'm actually struggling to find Fresno's here so am subbing with red jalapenos.

Also, I'm giving a bottle to my neighbor who's peach trees are hanging over my fence that I'm yielding from. I don't know them super well, so don't want to light them up too much.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:10 PM 08-18-2021

Also, I'm giving a bottle to my neighbor who's peach trees are hanging over my fence that I'm yielding from. I don't know them super well, so don't want to light them up too much.
How do you strain after blending? What are you using?
[Reply]
srvy 08:31 PM 08-18-2021

Also, I'm giving a bottle to my neighbor whose peach trees are hanging over my fence that I'm yielding from. I don't know them super well, so don't want to light them up too much.
Instacart type in the search for a specific pepper, take note of who they deliver from and find nearest to get in-store or just have them delivered if preferred.

I tried to find Scotch Bonnets to no avail this way. I finally just typed fresh peppers to see who had. Doing that I saw that Sprouts carry Fresno's if you have in Illinois. Also, Whole Foods carry a variety of Peppers.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:47 AM 08-19-2021
How do you strain after blending? What are you using?
I just use a strainer into a Pyrex measuring cup then pour through a funnel into the bottles. Something like a rubber spatula helps press the mixture through the strainer.

Its similar to these.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CTG...02976934&psc=1
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:51 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
Instacart type in the search for a specific pepper, take note of who they deliver from and find nearest to get in-store or just have them delivered if preferred.

I tried to find Scotch Bonnets to no avail this way. I finally just typed fresh peppers to see who had. Doing that I saw that Sprouts carry Fresno's if you have in Illinois. Also, Whole Foods carry a variety of Peppers.
We use Instacart every weekend for groceries. Our drivers wouldn't know a Fresno pepper from from a cantaloupe. Most times we end up with a handful of things we didn't order and missing stuff that we did.

There's a Sprouts by the Home Depot I go to so I'll try swinging through there one of these days.
[Reply]
kstater 02:53 PM 08-21-2021
Left to right

Salsa, Kimchi, Jalepeno Pineapple hot sauce.

Salsa is fully from garden. About half the Jalepenos are.

About to have a ton of red chilli's to do one with.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:10 AM 08-29-2021
Red jalapeños, peach, Tamari, and garlic

[Reply]
KCUnited 10:14 AM 08-29-2021
Originally Posted by kstater:
Left to right

Salsa, Kimchi, Jalepeno Pineapple hot sauce.

Salsa is fully from garden. About half the Jalepenos are.

About to have a ton of red chilli's to do one with.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Pan over to show the rest of them beers
[Reply]
lewdog 03:24 PM 08-29-2021
Red jalapeños, peach, Tamari, and garlic

Blend before fermenting?
[Reply]
Page 9 of 12
« First < 56789 101112 >
Up