ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:58 PM 08-29-2021
Right. Making a fermentable mash and I get more in the container.

Not sure if its better, I've just had success doing it this way.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:28 PM 09-09-2021
30 day ferment on the onion, garlic, habanero and peaches.

Blended much smoother than my last attempt. I made "3" different thicknesses. 1st is the thickest with a small amount of brine added to thin out but nothing else, 2nd was more brine/vinegar added plus 1/8 tsp xanthan gum, 3rd with 1/4 tsp xanthan gum. Xanthan gum gives a smoother texture for sure. This really made a ton once I added brine/vinegar to the mix. Got the two bottles pictured plus a 12 oz jar. Hard to see consistency though in these cheap plastic bottles. Someday I'll upgrade to the clear, I just like the ease of using these.

Heat is medium/hot. A really good garlic taste to the spice, which I love.

[Reply]
KCUnited 08:20 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Red jalapeņos, peach, Tamari, and garlic

Finished product.

Really happy with how it turned out. I had read online about peach flavors not really coming through and it being more of an aroma thing, but this has a definite fruitiness that I really enjoyed upon tasting.

Also might be worth noting that I used a combo of ripe and under ripe peaches as I had read where ripe fruits mostly get fermented out and under ripe provides more flavor. So take that FWIW.

I will say that this guy had a very active fermentation, likely from the additional sugars from the peaches. It pushed through my airlock which is one reason why I always leave my fermentation jar in a bucket to catch any potential overflows.

I also went semi-pro on that ass by applying shrink wrap to the one I'm giving my neighbor for use of their peaches.

[Reply]
KCUnited 03:29 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Thinking about taking a stab at a crushed red pepper sauce for pizza. Similar to Melinda's which is decent but would like more zing.

https://melindas.com/shop/melindas-p...-pepper-sauce/

I like the idea of cayenne and sweet red peppers with garlic.
Finally getting around to attempting this.

Using red fingers and a few sweet minis for balance and color. Super small batch.

[Reply]
lewdog 02:07 PM 02-25-2022
Damn, this had way more fire than I expected. Very good!

[Reply]
gblowfish 03:06 PM 02-25-2022
I'm going to try making jalapeno poppers this weekend. Question: Do you boil the peppers first to soften them up and cut down the heat, or do you just cut them in half and put them in the oven raw with no pre-boiling? I've seen recipes that do one or the other. Cream cheese spread and bacon wrapped around each pepper half. How do you like to do it?
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:13 PM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I'm going to try making jalapeno poppers this weekend. Question: Do you boil the peppers first to soften them up and cut down the heat, or do you just cut them in half and put them in the oven raw with no pre-boiling? I've seen recipes that do one or the other. Cream cheese spread and bacon wrapped around each pepper half. How do you like to do it?
I go raw peppers. I also like to flavor the cream cheese with at least garlic powder, bbq rub, etc. Even better to mix in something like leftover pulled pork, chopped brisket, crab, shredded cheeses, etc. Really just anything to add an additional layer of flavor as cream cheese is pretty flavorless on its own. I wrap in bacon and then dust with another layer of rub and then sauce half of them with your favorite bbq sauce to give a variety.
[Reply]
Fish 03:16 PM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Never heard of that. Also never had any issue with the peppers being too firm. I don't see why it would be necessary. You have to cook it long enough and hot enough to cook the bacon. That's more than enough to soften up a jalapeno.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:55 PM 02-25-2022
I use full jalapenos and mix the seeds back into the cream cheese for more heat
[Reply]
threebag 11:07 PM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I use full jalapenos and mix the seeds back into the cream cheese for more heat
Do you remove the pith?
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:13 AM 02-26-2022
I made some Cane's sauce the other night from a recipe I saw online.

Tasted just like the real stuff. I was impressed.
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:15 AM 02-26-2022
do you all fucks wit pickled pigs feet?
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:17 AM 02-26-2022
Originally Posted by kstater:
Left to right

Salsa, Kimchi, Jalepeno Pineapple hot sauce.

Salsa is fully from garden. About half the Jalepenos are.

About to have a ton of red chilli's to do one with.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

damn kstater runnin' up! Look at you big boy!
[Reply]
TambaBerry 12:18 AM 02-26-2022
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Do you remove the pith?
I clean out all the seeds and white part in it. Chop it up and put it in the cream cheese.
[Reply]
Fish 12:35 AM 02-26-2022
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Do you remove the pith?
Like from a peathch?

[Reply]
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Up