Page 10 of 16
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Media Center>Windows 11
eDave 06:48 PM 06-15-2021
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

[Reply]
lewdog 07:30 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
By that I mean you will be unable to upgrade.
Ugh.

Is that going to be a problem?
[Reply]
eDave 07:32 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Ugh.

Is that going to be a problem?
Nope.

That goes for you too, displacedinMN.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:58 AM 06-25-2021
Nope.

That goes for you too, displacedinMN.
my home laptop is about 3 years old. Once bugs get worked out on Win 11, I will buy a new one anyway.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:49 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Windows 11 will be fine. Windows updates/upgrades are infinitely better than they were a decade ago. It's a free and painless process these days for the typical end user. Some here are exaggerating the concerns quite a bit. Outside of lazy IT management, updates/upgrades shouldn't be avoided these days....
Yep.

The biggest, and really only, issue I have with Windows Update these days is getting it to run flawlessly. Sometimes it might go a month installing silent updates and none of my users even know. Then all of the sudden one little hot fix comes through and gets stuck, Windows Update just stops working and you have to go through cleaning it all it to get it running again.

The chances of this happening on a single machine aren't great but when you're support 8 Windows devices, it can get kind of annoying.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:53 AM 06-25-2021
And I should add, when you support 8 windows devices that are used by other people, people that aren't as techy as you and don't truly understand the value of things like data backup and system integrity, you have to be proactive a lot of the times with Windows Update.

It might stop downloading updates but not fire off any error messages but rather just quietly keep trying to update even though it's stuck. My windows users would get months behind on updates if I didn't check once in a while because they don't understand the whole continuous update concept. Hell, even when it's working correctly, they'll ignore reboot prompts for weeks...
[Reply]
BleedingRed 03:06 PM 06-25-2021
Windows 11 will be fine. Windows updates/upgrades are infinitely better than they were a decade ago. It's a free and painless process these days for the typical end user. Some here are exaggerating the concerns quite a bit. Outside of lazy IT management, updates/upgrades shouldn't be avoided these days....
.......... I guess you don't pay attention to Microsoft fuck ups.

A) Windows 11 will be a resource hog and they still cant get HDR to work right on Window 10

B) Microsoft has a storied history with fuck ups when it comes to updates/upgrades. Including fucking baking in open back doors to their own software.

C) Window 11 is doomed to fail, its tradition... Every other OS has sucked balls, and bringing back and pushing widgets is fucking retarded.

Window 98 > Windows ME > Window XP > Windows Vista > Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Windows 10 > (We are here) Windows 11
[Reply]
Fish 04:07 PM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
.......... I guess you don't pay attention to Microsoft fuck ups.

A) Windows 11 will be a resource hog and they still cant get HDR to work right on Window 10

B) Microsoft has a storied history with fuck ups when it comes to updates/upgrades. Including fucking baking in open back doors to their own software.

C) Window 11 is doomed to fail, its tradition... Every other OS has sucked balls, and bringing back and pushing widgets is fucking retarded.

Window 98 > Windows ME > Window XP > Windows Vista > Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Windows 10 > (We are here) Windows 11
A isn't necessarily just a Windows issue. HDR in Windows is still rather new, considering it wasn't even included in the initial release of Win10. It has a combination of requirements that many people just can't figure out. You must have a compatible CPU, GPU, monitor, cable, graphics driver, and correct Windows version just to start. Not sure what you mean saying Win11 will be a resource hog.

Concerning B, as I already mentioned the Windows update/upgrade process is 1000x better than it was in prior releases. There's no intentional back door installed, don't be silly.

C is fallacy.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:30 PM 06-25-2021
Soooo, this TPM bullshit

Sucks, my MOBO is 'too old' even though all the specs are 10x what Win11 needs, . . . and it even HAS a TPM header to plug in a module. But Asus uses that internally and doesn't vend the module for consumers.

Attached: TPM.jpg (86.8 KB) 
[Reply]
RustShack 04:47 PM 06-25-2021
Lol you’re only on windows 11? I’m on 98.
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:00 PM 06-25-2021
I just added some ram to my dad's laptop. The task manager says that there are two available slots. When I opened it up it only had one slot. There is a space for an additional slot but there aren't anything there. Is that unusual?
[Reply]
Fish 05:18 PM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I just added some ram to my dad's laptop. The task manager says that there are two available slots. When I opened it up it only had one slot. There is a space for an additional slot but there aren't anything there. Is that unusual?
Occasionally a laptop will have 1 "slot" which is a RAM module soldered onto the motherboard, along with 1 additional slot that is user accessible. You can only add to the user accessible slot.
[Reply]
Mennonite 06:25 PM 06-25-2021
Occasionally a laptop will have 1 "slot" which is a RAM module soldered onto the motherboard, along with 1 additional slot that is user accessible. You can only add to the user accessible slot.

Yeah, but this one says that only one slot of two is in use. The slot that I can access already has a stick in it so unless one of the two (potential) sticks is faulty something doesn't add up.

Update: i was reading while i typed this. There is a thread on the hp help site where someone says that models with a certain processor actually only have one slot even though it says it has two. They claim that it is because different models use the same motherboard but have different processors. Who knows?

Either way he went from 4 to 8 so there is still a noticeable improvement.
[Reply]
eDave 12:13 AM 06-26-2021

Thanks to Windows 11, people are scalping TPM2.0 modules as well now.

$24.90 ➡ $99.90 in just 12 hours pic.twitter.com/9TTHC2c47w

— Shen Ye (@shen) June 25, 2021

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:15 AM 06-26-2021
You know there are idiots paying the drastically inflated price.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:38 AM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by RustShack:
Lol you’re only on windows 11? I’m on 98.
I just got Windows10 3 days ago so I'm in no hurry...
[Reply]
Page 10 of 16
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up