ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Media Center>$2,000 Phone - Galaxy Fold
BWillie 07:30 PM 03-01-2019
It's beautiful. I'm getting one if it has 5G capabilities.

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/1...e-announcement

Samsung first teased its foldable phone back in November, and at the company’s Galaxy Unpacked event today, it’s further detailing its foldable plans. Samsung’s foldable now has a name, the Samsung Galaxy Fold, and the company is revealing more about what this unique smartphone can do. Samsung is planning to launch the Galaxy Fold on April 26th, starting at $1,980, through AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, with a free pair of Samsung’s new wireless earbuds. There will be both an LTE and 5G version of the Galaxy Fold, and Samsung is even planning on launching the device in Europe on May 3rd, starting at 2,000 euros.

Samsung is using a new 7.3-inch Infinity Flex Display that allows the phone itself to have a tablet-sized screen that can be folded to fit into a pocket. The main display is QXGA+ resolution (4.2:3), and when it’s folded, a smaller 4.6-inch HD+ (12:9) display is used for the phone mode. Samsung is using 512GB of Universal Flash Storage 3.0 (eUFS) for fast speeds, alongside a Qualcomm 7nm octa-core processor and 12GB of RAM. Samsung has even built two batteries for its Galaxy Fold, that are separated by the fold but combined in the Android operating system to represent a total of 4,380 mAh.

Samsung has built a sturdy backbone to the device, with a hinge system that has multiple interlocking gears. All of these gears are hidden at the rear of the device, and allow the Galaxy Fold to transform from tablet to phone modes. Samsung says it’s able to fold at least 200,000 times, which works out to over 5 years if you fold it 100 times a day. At the rear of the device there’s also a triple-camera system that will be used for both tablet and phone modes. There’s a 16-megapixel ultra-wide camera, alongside 12-megapixel wide-angle and telephoto cameras at the rear, and a 10-megapixel cover camera for selfies. Samsung is also creating four different colors for the Galaxy Fold, but it’s the main tablet display that’s key here.

Samsung is allowing the Galaxy Fold to run three apps at once on this Android device, and it’s using an app continuity system to adjust these apps when you move between tablet and phone modes. Apps like WhatsApp, Microsoft Office, and YouTube have all been optimized for the new display and modes, and Samsung has been working with Google to ensure Android 9 Pie fully supports this display.

Samsung demonstrated a variety of apps running in this mode, and the switching from phone to tablet and vice versa. It looks rather smooth in the software right now, but it’s fair to say that the Galaxy Fold looks far better when it’s folded out than being used as a traditional phone. The phone display is clearly designed to be used with one hand, but it’s flanked by large bezels that aren’t found on the tablet mode. We’ll need to get a closer look at the Galaxy Fold to find out exactly how this impacts the device usability, though.

Samsung isn’t the only smartphone maker creating a foldable device, but it’s certainly one of the first to make it widely available. Xiaomi teased its own folding phone recently, that looked like the best concept we’ve seen so far. Huawei is also reportedly planning to release a foldable handset this year, and Lenovo has started to tease its own prototype. LG has also been developing flexible OLED displays and TVs that roll up into a box. If all these manufacturers progress toward shipping a device like Samsung, then expect to see a lot of foldable phones in 2019 and beyond.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:43 PM 03-02-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
Nobody in this site should be calling me cheap ever again. Even I don't settle for a $100 phone.
:-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:14 PM 03-02-2019
When my last phone broke, I went to the store and said, "Just give me your cheapest phone". My theory was that they pretty much all do the same thing now.

And I kind of feel like I was right. The only things that I miss about the more expensive phone were the fingerprint security and the higher photo quality. The keyboard is a little less sensitive too, which isn't great, but everything else is exactly the same.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:39 PM 03-02-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I buy cell phones for about $100 and use them for 5+ years. Buying a phablet for $2k that the manufacturer says should last for 5 years is fucking stupid.
You like your Jitterbug, eh?
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:04 AM 03-03-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I buy cell phones for about $100 and use them for 5+ years. Buying a phablet for $2k that the manufacturer says should last for 5 years is fucking stupid.
Yeah, well, I use the every loving fucking shit out of my phone. Data service in BFE was game changer for my operation.

I pay for a phone that works. It's worth the money.

That being said, I don't drop that kind of dough on a gimmicky tablet. I am pragmatic enough to buy an $800 phone and a $200 tablet and deal with the shortage of convenience.

ESPECIALLY with a goddamned Android tablet.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 PM 03-05-2019
Anybody interested in a phone that flips along the OTHER axis?

While Samsung is headlining with their phone-to-tablet foldable, Apple and Google appear to be developing prototypes that, unfolded, have the form factor of today's large smart phone but fold in half for pocket storage, similar to a wallet. It's essentially a flip phone but with screen on both sides instead of keys like in the old days.

I'm sure Samsung is working on one too, I just haven't seen it.

Personally, I'm not interested in a double-wide but I'd definitely be interested in something with a large screen that could be smaller when stowed away.
[Reply]
Fish 11:32 PM 03-05-2019
So how much confidence does this give?

They went so far as to put it inside a display case that was surrounded by mirrors in order to prevent anybody from taking a clear picture of it. Let alone hold it. And this $2k phone is supposed to be released next month...

Originally Posted by :
We get it, Samsung. Intrigue builds anticipation, and when manipulated correctly, this can quickly turn into feverish excitement. Exactly what you need for a new premium gadget these days, if you’re going to want to sell more than a few dozen.

If that’s what Samsung’s attempting to do with the Galaxy Fold, by not letting any attendees of the international launch event on Feb. 20 or the tens of thousands at Mobile World Congress touch or use it, then we’ve got some bad news. It’s not building anticipation. It’s making many think the Galaxy Fold either isn’t ready, isn’t very good, or worse, that Samsung’s regretting the launch entirely.

[...]

Sure enough, the Galaxy Fold was there — behind glass, in cases filled with mirrors to make photographing it an almost impossible task.

This isn’t a prototype due in 2020 we’re talking about here. It’s going to be released on April 26, and if it’s not in a fit state to be handled now, then we question whether it will be ready for the public in about two months time.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...g-galaxy-fold/

[Reply]
Buehler445 12:18 AM 03-06-2019
That’s remarkable.

If it’s truly not ready not pushing the rollout is intergalactically stupid.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:52 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
Nobody in this site should be calling me cheap ever again. Even I don't settle for a $100 phone.

Meh. I'm really not all that attached to my phone. A simple smart phone is actually more than I need.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:56 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You like your Jitterbug, eh?

Nah. But my LG Stylo 3 is more than adequate for what I do.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:58 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:

They went so far as to put it inside a display case that was surrounded by mirrors in order to prevent anybody from taking a clear picture of it. Let alone hold it. And this $2k phone is supposed to be released next month...

No way! So, you're saying that it might not actually be worth $2,000?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:47 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:

Meh. As long as it doesn't blow up we're moving in the right direction.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:31 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Meh. As long as it doesn't blow up we're moving in the right direction.
:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:35 AM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Good question - I just heard within the next year carriers will start coming out with it. I'm going to switch to Verizon from Sprint. I'm tired of shitty data.
You won't get better data from Sprint, especially not 5G. They're pretty far behind right now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 AM 03-06-2019
FYI, there's a lot of buzz right now about these foldable screens needing to be heated and there's some speculation that this particular Samsung phone has a heated screen. Apparently, extreme cold is bad for the screens? LOL.

Seriously though, how reliable are these screens going to be with so many one-off, proprietary requirements?
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:39 AM 03-06-2019
So from it looks like.....I can basically have a phone that's the size of two phones in my pocket now....for twice the cost.

Yeah....fuck no.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up