ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Media Center>Top Gun 2
thabear04 11:07 PM 05-24-2017
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...2-is-happening

On my phone can't post the video up of Tom saying it.
[Reply]
eDave 01:20 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'll post more if/when I hear more plot details but as of now, the script doesn't even exist, just the basic outline of the new generation of drone fighters vs. old school dogfighting.

Tom Cruise has been fighting for this film for a decade and if they've finally cracked the nut, it should be a fun ride, although I'd set my expectations fairly low because the first film was genius.

The other challenge they face (and IMO, it'll make or break the film), is that the cast of Top Gun featured so many mid-20's talented actors like Cruise, Kilmer, Tim Robbins, Anthony Edwards, Adrian Pasdar and even Rick Rossovich.

The talent gap is huge in 2017 versus 1985 (when the movie was filmed).

Who are they going to cast? A bunch of Disney kids?
This is sounding like it's going to be awful actually.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:57 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
This is sounding like it's going to be awful actually.
And don't forget, the score by Harold Faltermeyer, along with the Oscar winning Take My Breathe Away by Berlin, along with the The Top Gun Theme with Steve Stevens, is as iconic as the film itself.

I think it would best to pivot to something uniquely different than the original.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:55 PM 05-26-2017
And don't forget, the score by Harold Faltermeyer, along with the Oscar winning Take My Breathe Away by Berlin, along with the The Top Gun Theme with Steve Stevens, is as iconic as the film itself.

Very good point.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:20 PM 05-26-2017

I think it would best to pivot to something uniquely different than the original.
Bruckheimer involved at all?

It was basically one of the first pics that started his 'brand'
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:28 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Bruckheimer involved at all?

It was basically one of the first pics that started his 'brand'
Yes, he's co-producing
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:36 PM 05-26-2017
On the flipside, Tom Cruise is the biggest movie star in the world, bar none.

He has a ridiculously successful franchise in Mission Impossible, created the storyline for the sequel to Edge of Tomorrow and joined Universal's Dark Universe, which features Johnny Depp, Russell Crowe, Javier Bardem with word on the street that Angelina Jolie comes on board as Bride of Frankenstein.

The bottom line is that he doesn't need to do Top Gun 2, so if he's doing it, it'll likely be at least good, if not very good.

But they'd best avoid a The Force Awakens type of situation.
[Reply]
eDave 03:48 PM 05-26-2017

Yea. And name it something else.
[Reply]
eDave 03:50 PM 05-26-2017
On the flipside, Tom Cruise is the biggest movie star in the world, bar none.

He has a ridiculously successful franchise in Mission Impossible, created the storyline for the sequel to Edge of Tomorrow and joined Universal's Dark Universe, which features Johnny Depp, Russell Crowe, Javier Bardem with word on the street that Angelina Jolie comes on board as Bride of Frankenstein.

The bottom line is that he doesn't need to do Top Gun 2, so if he's doing it, it'll likely be at least good, if not very good.

But they'd best avoid a The Force Awakens type of situation.
Out of curiosity, why is it that this has taken a guy like Cruise so long?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:50 PM 05-26-2017
Nobody's gonna mention Kenny Loggins killing the intro?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:51 PM 05-26-2017
Seriously - is this movie 60% as good without the opening setup? Screaming jets, chaos on the flight deck, slow top gun theme transitioning into the frenetic organ and power chords....

....I just came a little. Sorry.

And yes, each and every single surround sound system I have ever purchased/installed has necessitated that I buy the newest version of Top Gun to blast the shit out of and give the system a proper test drive. I have the damn song on my phone to try out car stereos on test drives.

That is the ultimate go-fast, adrenaline fueled anthem...
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:56 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's a given
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:58 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Out of curiosity, why is it that this has taken a guy like Cruise so long?
It's a tough nut to crack. The original was so perfect in every way that how could it be followed up with anything even half as good?

I think waiting 30 years, much like with the latest Star Wars sequels, was a good idea. As mentioned, dogfighting really doesn't exist anymore but drones are every where, all over the world. But then again, I don't think anyone wants to watch a bunch of guys basically playing video games, either.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:00 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, the opening sequence was just flat out amazing and Kenny Loggins absolutely killed it.

We saw him at the Hollywood Bowl over 4th of July weekend a couple of years ago and he fucking killed there, too. Unreal band, amazing voice, multi-generational songs.

He's very, very under-appreciated.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:06 PM 05-26-2017
It's a tough nut to crack. The original was so perfect in every way that how could it be followed up with anything even half as good?

I think waiting 30 years, much like with the latest Star Wars sequels, was a good idea. As mentioned, dogfighting really doesn't exist anymore but drones are every where, all over the world. But then again, I don't think anyone wants to watch a bunch of guys basically playing video games, either.
Here's the other problem - has ANYTHING military captured the public's imagination quite like the damn Tomcat? The thing just looked like a fighter jet. And swept wings, specially designed missiles...jesus, the thing was a marketing poster.

And for (many) of us, the timing can never be recaptured. I was 6 when we got our first copy and can you imagine a 6 yr old kid watching those friggen jets screaming about? I remember making little fake control yokes out of my crinkle tubes (have no idea what those plastic bendy toys were actually called) and sitting in my room flying that jet.

"I'm gonna hit the breaks" {start bending stupid crinkly tubes about}

No, there's no approaching Top Gun. There can't be. But so what?

Tom Cruises half-asses exactly nothing. I think he's weird as shit but he's also my favorite actor to watch because he's balls to the walls every minute the camera is rolling. He will not let this suck. I refuse to believe it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:09 PM 05-26-2017
{watches intro again}

[Reply]
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up