ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) with Denzel Fucking Washington
listopencil 10:59 AM 08-31-2021
Are you shitting me? Denzel Washington chewing scenery as MacBeth in a movie written and directed by Joel Cohen? Why have I not heard anything about this?

[Reply]
Molitoth 03:03 PM 08-31-2021
For some reason I know nothing of this story, (even after touring Scotland a couple years back) and it's making me feel.... dumb?

That said, anything with Denzel is gold.

I will be there.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:32 PM 08-31-2021
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
For some reason I know nothing of this story, (even after touring Scotland a couple years back) and it's making me feel.... dumb?
You may not have read it or watched the play but I guarantee that there are probably a half dozen quotes from it that you have heard before. I'd also be willing to bet that you've seen several tv shows and movies that have borrowed elements of the plot.

It's one of the easier Shakespeare plays to read; you should definitely give it a go. It always helps to have an annotated version, of course.
[Reply]
EPodolak 08:24 PM 08-31-2021
Wonder who is cast as his wife. I love the story, interested to see how the Coens treat it.

Edit: should have known Frances McDormand is Lady Macbeth. Hmm...need a woman who can become a real viper for that role....
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:04 AM 09-01-2021
I've watched several versions. Not my cup of tea these days but, I agree Mr. Washington is one of the best working actors today.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:58 AM 09-01-2021
Looked this up. I’m in.

Interesting that the other Coen brother isn’t involved?
[Reply]
listopencil 07:17 AM 09-02-2021
I've been trying to find a trailer for this. Found a few fake ones and that's it.
[Reply]
sully1983 10:19 AM 09-02-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Looked this up. I’m in.

Interesting that the other Coen brother isn’t involved?
Yeah apparently Ethan Coen didn't want to make any more movies at the time (instead he wants to focus on writing stage plays and other stuff ) Sounds like its just a temporary thing and he's just taking a break.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/co...es-1234655537/

I can't wait to see Denzel and Frances McDormand in this. Even though Macbeth has been done to death this is getting the Joel Coen treatment and should be a fresh take on it.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:51 PM 09-02-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
You may not have read it or watched the play but I guarantee that there are probably a half dozen quotes from it that you have heard before. I'd also be willing to bet that you've seen several tv shows and movies that have borrowed elements of the plot.

It's one of the easier Shakespeare plays to read; you should definitely give it a go. It always helps to have an annotated version, of course.
Yep. Get the Riverside Shakespeare.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:21 AM 02-12-2022
So...this is a thing now.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:05 PM 02-12-2022
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yep. Get the Riverside Shakespeare.
Scotland, PA with Christopher Walken, Maura Tierney, James LeGros and Amy Smart

[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 10:52 AM 02-13-2022
Oof...I'm not artsy enough to handle raw Shakespeare.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 02:52 PM 02-13-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Are you shitting me? Denzel Washington chewing scenery as MacBeth in a movie written and directed by Joel Cohen? Why have I not heard anything about this?

there's a lot of these shakespeare movies with big name actors that get made and no one knows about them.

there was a version of Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino as Shylock, although the movie makes him much more sympathetic than the original play did

I'm definitely going to have to check this out
[Reply]
Up