ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 128 of 189
« First < 2878118124125126127128 129130131132138178 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What strains of weed are you currently smoking?
Coochie liquor 06:14 PM 11-07-2014
Since we have a what are you drinking thread, I think we need a what strain are you smoking thread. Hope it's not a Q.

I'll start. I've got 2 kinds currently 1) Cherry Berry, which is a cross between Berry White and Cherry Kush 2) some fire ass Blue Dream. Hard to pick which I like better but leaning towards Cherry Berry. All the Berry White strains I've had are funk!!
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:52 AM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Yeah, clones gotta come from somewhere, lol

You start, say, 5 or 6 seeds of a certain phenotype, and keep the 2 or 3 strongest, heartiest, best looking to clone when they're at the veg stage and those plants are the 'mothers' that the clones are cut from
Of course. It's not only easy, it's how you ensure consistency of the strain going forward.

I can't imagine anybody grows from seeds, other than for starters.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:35 PM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Do producers really grow from seed? That's like the ancient method. It's so easy to clone plants nowadays.
Only for pheno hunting. Once a pheno is selected, if at all, then cloning
can happen But it always starts with a seed. Sure there are clones bought/sold/shared amongst those growing commercially. But then you have things that can one clones final product in one facility may not seem like the same product from another. Grower, environment, genetic drift, etc. can all play a part in it.

Commercial growers never stop searching for that next strain to market. Doesn't matter if it comes from an existing clone or seed.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:38 PM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Yeah, clones gotta come from somewhere, lol

You start, say, 5 or 6 seeds of a certain phenotype, and keep the 2 or 3 strongest, heartiest, best looking to clone when they're at the veg stage and those plants are the 'mothers' that the clones are cut from
Commercially you would like to start at least 100. Not saying you can't do it, but a 5 pack of F1 seeds you might not get exactly the best choices of phenos.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:46 PM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Only for pheno hunting. Once a pheno is selected, if at all, then cloning
can happen But it always starts with a seed. Sure there are clones bought/sold/shared amongst those growing commercially. But then you have things that can one clones final product in one facility may not seem like the same product from another. Grower, environment, genetic drift, etc. can all play a part in it.

Commercial growers never stop searching for that next strain to market. Doesn't matter if it comes from an existing clone or seed.
See to me, that's R&D. Whereas commercial production would be mostly, if not all, cloning.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:47 PM 11-10-2022
Commercially you would like to start at least 100. Not saying you can't do it, but a 5 pack of F1 seeds you might not get exactly the best choices of phenos.
A 5 packs of seeds might not even produce a viable plant. I once planted 4 seeds and all 4 of them ended up being "males".
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:48 PM 11-10-2022
Of course. It's not only easy, it's how you ensure consistency of the strain going forward.

I can't imagine anybody grows from seeds, other than for starters.

Clones can genetically drift and get tired and putter out.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:58 PM 11-10-2022
A 5 packs of seeds might not even produce a viable plant. I once planted 4 seeds and all 4 of them ended up being "males".
That can happen.

Males are important though. Find a breeding male and you can make millions.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:01 PM 11-10-2022
Clones can genetically drift and get tired and putter out.
That is true. There's definitely a slow degradation of genetics the more you clone something. It's like taking a Xerox copy and putting on the copy machine. The more you do it, the lighter the ink becomes until you can no longer read it and the source material is gone.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:01 PM 11-10-2022
That can happen.

Again, true. Doesn't do much for a guy growing 4 plants in his closet though. :-)
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 01:03 PM 11-10-2022
See to me, that's R&D. Whereas commercial production would be mostly, if not all, cloning.
You thinking of a facilities that like to turn and burn. They won't last in the long term when the hammer comes down.

I'm thinking of facilities that are thinking long term. Those that realize that eventually IP rights are coming down on cannabis strains at some point and don't want to be holding someone else's bag with a future residual payment attached to it from past years worth of profits.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 01:03 PM 11-10-2022
Again, true. Doesn't do much for a guy growing 4 plants in his closet though. :-)
Pfft easily solved. Get another closet.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:04 PM 11-10-2022
You thinking of a facilities that like to turn and burn. They won't last in the long term when the hammer comes down.

I'm thinking of facilities that are thinking long term. Those that realize that eventually IP rights are coming down on cannabis strains at some point and don't want to be holding someone else's bag with a future residual payment attached to it from past years worth of profits.
For sure. I wasn't talking about cloning someone else's plants. I was talking about controlled growing of seedlings specifically for the purpose of cloning. Which you can't do forever, as you previously said.

So good growers are going to be constantly doing both - R&D and production.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:13 PM 11-10-2022
That can happen.

You can herm a female to create pollen for seeds.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 01:16 PM 11-10-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You can herm a female to create pollen for seeds.
Yes you can. A mixture of silver thiosulfate and silver nitrate will do it.

or you can just grow and stress it long enough for it to throw male stamens
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:19 PM 11-10-2022
This thread has ended up being pretty educational. I love this place.
[Reply]
Page 128 of 189
« First < 2878118124125126127128 129130131132138178 > Last »
Up