View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 51 of 343
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Halfcan 12:00 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I hope he does sit out and the chiefs ball out to prove you dont need to sign him. That'd be great
:-)

Yeah, and Mahomes gets hurt because there is a scrub blocking for him instead of Brown.

That will show him!!
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:20 PM 06-18-2022
Here's something else to consider.

It was a pretty deep draft class of OTs the year we traded for OBJ, even for us having the 31st pick. A trade up likely would have been necessary, but we could have had a shot at a couple of what many scouts viewed as potential longterm starters. Maybe that guy we get isn't world class but he's also not an absolute turnstile, much like OBJ. Well, at least we'd be able to pay him on a rookie contract exactly what he's worth and no higher, right?

Sounds good to me. The problem is that's not how Veach saw it.

He went ultra aggressive at then 32-year old Trent Williams. Didn't get him. Okay, well... back to the draft. The team isn't going to be picking in the top half of the 1st round for awhile, so if the class is this deep now, you may as well take your shot while you can, right? Nope. He wanted an established starter. He knew there might be growing pains with that guy, but none of them would be potentially as bad as what you might get out of rookie growing pains. He wanted a solid LT right then there and now. He didn't even have the patience or the faith in Eric Fisher for a single season.

Many posters are not at all afraid of jettisoning OBJ if his ability doesn't match his contract, and few have any answers for how to replace him other than "Draft! Or free agent! Or something!" Kccrow DID offer up some real ideas with real names at least. But I don't think Veach is up for fucking around with that shit. The time to draft a new LT if there was such a time was in 2021, and Veach said, "No, thank you." Having gotten burned by Trent Williams, he's also not willing to risk banking on just signing the top free agent for the most money, especially because it's rare that you see a starting caliber LT like Trent Williams available in free agency. And OBJ for that matter is also a rarity. A Pro Bowl OT at both LT and RT, who plays for a franchise that is willing to grant trade requests to a guy still on his rookie deal all because he doesn't want to play RT? And letting him go for the equivalent of a 2nd round pick?

So we have three options for potentially replacing OBJ on the table. Roll the dice with the market, roll the dice on a rookie, or roll the dice starting some dude like Geron Christian or Lucas Niang, because at least "they're not getting overpaid!" I don't think Veach likes any of those odds, which is why he's been so direct with the media about how willing he is to get OBJ a lucrative extension.
[Reply]
Halfcan 12:31 PM 06-18-2022
OBJ and Mahomes are close personal friends. He is not going anywhere.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:53 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
How would him being overpaid not affect the cap? If he's being paid like a top 3 LT but is playing like the 12th best LT, that's going to affect the cap because we're getting negative value. If he does play like a top 3 LT, then yeah we would be getting great value.

But to act like overpaying a player doesn't affect the cap is weird. Or that only reason you shouldn't worry about it is because it's not our money.
Why do you ask questions in this thread if you're going to ignore the answers and just keep spouting the same old bullshit tomorrow?
[Reply]
BossChief 12:57 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
How would him being overpaid not affect the cap? If he's being paid like a top 3 LT but is playing like the 12th best LT, that's going to affect the cap because we're getting negative value. If he does play like a top 3 LT, then yeah we would be getting great value.

But to act like overpaying a player doesn't affect the cap is weird. Or that only reason you shouldn't worry about it is because it's not our money.
You are either simply unable to grasp why your thought pattern is short sighted and foolish on this topic (and most others)…or, you’re trolling.

I’m not sure why anyone wastes any time trying to explain it to you anymore.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:19 PM 06-18-2022
I think OBJ signs as long as they offer him something around top 5 money, which is fair because it will be top 15 money in a few years. All this posturing makes me think maybe he's protesting a little too much, and he's just trying to squeeze the max offer - but has no intention of walking away.

Kind of like me trying to talk a big game at the car dealership. Salesmen see right through that shit and can tell I'm a noob.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:43 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
OBJ and Mahomes are close personal friends. He is not going anywhere.
Tyreek was too, .who had years more of continuity
[Reply]
BWillie 01:45 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
:-)

Yeah, and Mahomes gets hurt because there is a scrub blocking for him instead of Brown.

That will show him!!
Lets be honest, Mahomes doesn't really utilize the pocket. He isnt a pocket presence passer. Any LT we have is probably less valuable for us than 90% of other teams.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:51 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Tyreek was too, .who had years more of continuity
The point is that one would think if Mahomes is the least bit satisfied with how his blindside is being protected, he'd make an adjustment. No, he wouldn't scheme and convince Veach to get rid of him, but he would sure as hell talk to the coaching staff about what he'd like to see differently from Brown.
[Reply]
-King- 02:01 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
You are either simply unable to grasp why your thought pattern is short sighted and foolish on this topic (and most others)…or, you’re trolling.

I’m not sure why anyone wastes any time trying to explain it to you anymore.
You can ignore my posts if you want. You have my permission.
[Reply]
-King- 02:03 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Why do you ask questions in this thread if you're going to ignore the answers and just keep spouting the same old bullshit tomorrow?
Cause you didn't answer. What's the value in paying the 12th best LT to one of the highest lineman deals in history?
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:18 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
The point is that one would think if Mahomes is the least bit satisfied with how his blindside is being protected, [b]he'd make an adjustment>/b]. No, he wouldn't scheme and convince Veach to get rid of him, but he would sure as hell talk to the coaching staff about what he'd like to see differently from Brown.

Why have the Half-Billion Dollar Man change his style which got him and his team a Superbowl and his personal accomplishment of a league & Superbowl MVP?

If you to facilitate for a lesser player he shouldn't break the bank.

Play him on the tag, because I don't trust he's team motivated to win but just to get paid.

After this year if OBJ is lazy as shit to keep in shape, and is a speed rushers turnstile then I'll keep bringing up

The Backup LT comment of his
[Reply]
BWillie 02:27 PM 06-18-2022
The Chiefs just need any skinny LT that has lateral quickness like big fish.

This is how a dynasty fails. You let your QB draft CEH with your 1st and now hes gonna make you massively overpay for an unathletic LT who doesn't really fit your system.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:33 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The Chiefs just need any skinny LT that has lateral quickness like big fish.

This is how a dynasty fails. You let your QB draft CEH with your 1st and now hes gonna make you massively overpay for an unathletic LT who doesn't really fit your system.
You are beyond fucking reeruned.

Mahomes did not "draft CEH with your 1st", and he's not the guy making the decision to sign Orlando Brown to an extension.

You have to be absolutely fucking clueless to beleive this.

And :-) @ "any skinny LT"

This is one of the dumbest post I've seen on CP all year.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:34 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They're worrying too much about $2-3M a year in AAV and not being realistic about the cost and risk associated with trying to find an alternative.
If it were actually 2-3 AAV then it would be a moot discussion but it's 7-8 AAV and that's another good starter. It's not just about him not being worth the top pay at the position because he's fully a tier below that and that's the exception people are taking. He's not good enough to command that salary and the issue is that the Chiefs will pay it because they basically have to. Their chance to address it was making a move to 17 for Trevor Penning this year and they didn't do it.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 343
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Up