ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 300 of 361
« First < 200250290296297298299300 301302303304310350 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 AM 08-06-2021
That is, indeed, a big ass rocket. I wish we had a F9 beside it to compare.

The first ever full stack of Starship Super Heavy. @NASASpaceflight pic.twitter.com/zwdcLpErSn

— Jack Beyer (@thejackbeyer) August 6, 2021

[Reply]
Donger 08:16 AM 08-06-2021

[Reply]
allen_kcCard 02:19 PM 08-06-2021
Those aerial work platforms are kinda nuts too. Could you imagine being on one of those extended that high? I bet that thing sways like a mofo.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:26 AM 08-07-2021

pic.twitter.com/T6r96fqlPG

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 7, 2021

[Reply]
Donger 09:03 AM 08-08-2021

[Reply]
unlurking 03:36 PM 08-09-2021
Starliner had issues with 13 valves, not just the one they initially reported. They've been able to "coax" open 7 of them so far. This seems like a much larger, systemic problem than just a couple valves failing to open. Their latest update does not engender confidence.

https://starlinerupdates.com/boeing-...tion-facility/

Originally Posted by Boeing:
Boeing Advances Starliner Solutions in the Vertical Integration Facility

This weekend, Boeing restored functionality on more of the 13 CST-100 Starliner propulsion system valves that did not open as designed during prelaunch system checks last week.
Boeing has completed physical inspections and chemical sampling on the exterior of a number of the affected valves, which indicated no signs of damage or external corrosion. Test teams are now applying mechanical, electrical and thermal techniques to prompt the valves open. Seven of the 13 valves are now operating as designed, with inspection and remediation of the remaining affected valves to be performed in the days ahead.
Boeing is working a systematic plan to open the affected valves, demonstrate repeatable system performance, and verify the root cause of the issue before returning Starliner to the launch pad for its Orbital Flight Test-2 mission.
The company is assessing multiple launch opportunities for Starliner in August and will work with NASA and United Launch Alliance to confirm those dates when the spacecraft is ready.
Boeing will continue to provide information at www.StarlinerUpdates.com as it becomes available.

[Reply]
DaFace 03:56 PM 08-09-2021
(sigh)

So bizarre. What in the world happens to have them just get stuck like that? I hope it's an easy explanation. You wouldn't think you'd still be having issues like this after all of this time.
[Reply]
unlurking 04:36 PM 08-09-2021
With that many valves, I can only imagine there is a manufacturer's defect in the valves or the valve controls. (yay for a distributed jobs program vs vertically integrated system) I hope that root cause doesn't end up pointing at another dozen valves that operate after launch being a problem too. That could end up as severe as the software issues and end up requiring a significant hardware review that delays Starliner another year. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 12:15 PM 08-10-2021

[Reply]
Donger 09:32 AM 08-11-2021

[Reply]
Donger 02:45 PM 08-11-2021
So cool...

We spy with our little eye... a rover! ��#MarsHelicopter spotted @NASAPersevere during its 11th flight. You can see Ingenuity’s foot to the left, its shadow at the bottom center, & if you look up & slightly to the right, you’ll see our robotic scientist. https://t.co/6GT4JkiJsg pic.twitter.com/gRUWWi4DEi

— NASA JPL (@NASAJPL) August 11, 2021

[Reply]
unlurking 03:36 PM 08-11-2021
lol

Where's Percy?
[Reply]
unlurking 03:39 PM 08-11-2021
I think I'm done with hoping BO turms things around and succeeds. Plenty of other potential competitors outside the likes of Boeing, ULA, LM, and BO.

[Reply]
DaFace 04:18 PM 08-11-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I think I'm done with hoping BO turms things around and succeeds. Plenty of other potential competitors outside the likes of Boeing, ULA, LM, and BO.
Yeah, I've tried really hard to be "Team Space," but BO's tantrums and general approach of being obstructive rather than constructive have really turned me off.

I'm still generally a fan of ULA (Tory Bruno is great at least). LM is great at satellites - just not launchers. Boeing is...a mess it seems.

But yeah, beyond those, I'm much more excited to see what the plethora of startups can come up with.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:33 PM 08-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, I've tried really hard to be "Team Space," but BO's tantrums and general approach of being obstructive rather than constructive have really turned me off.

I'm still generally a fan of ULA (Tory Bruno is great at least). LM is great at satellites - just not launchers. Boeing is...a mess it seems.

But yeah, beyond those, I'm much more excited to see what the plethora of startups can come up with.
Mostly agree. I like Bruno, but I still can't get over the birth of ULA. It's the "punishment" for the criminal activity of too big too fail corporations. It's just a reminder of the corruption at the top for me. If Shelby and Bezos had a baby, it'd be named ULA.

/rant off
[Reply]
Page 300 of 361
« First < 200250290296297298299300 301302303304310350 > Last »
Up