ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 127 of 934
« First < 2777117123124125126127 128129130131137177227627 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:54 PM 04-13-2018
I have a new plan. If you take a $100 thats had the corner torn off into a bank , they will trade it out with a new one , just as long as it has 3 corners.

Sooooo, thats right start tearing corners and save them up to mak new $100 bills.

Tear the corner off 3 bills and you have a fourth with a little tape job. I think just take each one into a different bank so they don't catch on.

Can anyone tell me how many banks there are in Texas and Oklahoma and New mexico. I don't want to spend too much on gas.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:15 PM 04-19-2018
Just got email from TD Ameritrade that I have an option expiring tomorrow. I didn’t know they would do reminders on things like that.
[Reply]
scho63 09:56 AM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Just got email from TD Ameritrade that I have an option expiring tomorrow. I didn’t know they would do reminders on things like that.
All brokerages are required to send you an option expiration warning.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:21 PM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by scho63:
All brokerages are required to send you an option expiration warning.
That's mighty nice of them Scho!
[Reply]
scho63 04:18 PM 04-20-2018
That's mighty nice of them Scho!
It's important to know why.

If you buy an option and you want to exercise it or sell it because it's worth money or value, you don't forget and let it expire worthless when it's worth money.

I'll explain at our next meetup. Must be before we start drinking! :-)
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 08:04 PM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If you're saving it for retirement, I'm the boring one and would just put it into some index funds. Target date if you don't want to mess with it at all, some combination of U.S. stocks, international stocks, and bonds if you want a little more control.
I like boring answers like that. Here is a boring question.

Daughter earned $1000 as a lifeguard. I matched that so she could start a Roth IRA (technically I started a minor Roth IRA for her). All of the mutual funds and ETFs require $2500 before they can be purchased.

She can do a stock trade for $4.95. What, if anything, does she buy until she reaches the $2500 necessary for an index fund?

BRK.B is about all I can come up with. Other suggestions?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:08 PM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by Infidel Goat:

Daughter earned $1000 as a lifeguard. I matched that so she could start a Roth IRA (technically I started a minor Roth IRA for her). All of the mutual funds and ETFs require $2500 before they can be purchased.

She can do a stock trade for $4.95. What, if anything, does she buy until she reaches the $2500 necessary for an index fund?

QQQE is a Nasdaq index fund doesn't require the 2500. My daughter just bought it a month ago.
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 08:27 PM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
QQQE is a Nasdaq index fund doesn't require the 2500. My daughter just bought it a month ago.
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion!
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:40 AM 04-21-2018
Congrats on getting your daughter into the high stakes world of investing and tax fraud at a young age! wtf, bud. Remove your "match" ASAP, lol.

It sounds like youre with Fidelity? based on the stock purchase cost and minimums. You have access to the largest asset management firm in the worlds ETFs. If so, I'd recommend IJS, it's the S&P 600 value fund. Small cap value has outperformed over the really long term historically and your daughter likely has a long time before retirement. If not, check ITOT or IVV. Those should be the S&P 500 and complete market ETFs.
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 07:20 AM 04-21-2018
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Congrats on getting your daughter into the high stakes world of investing and tax fraud at a young age! wtf, bud. Remove your "match" ASAP, lol.

It sounds like youre with Fidelity? based on the stock purchase cost and minimums. You have access to the largest asset management firm in the worlds ETFs. If so, I'd recommend IJS, it's the S&P 600 value fund. Small cap value has outperformed over the really long term historically and your daughter likely has a long time before retirement. If not, check ITOT or IVV. Those should be the S&P 500 and complete market ETFs.
Lol. Thanks. Technically, it was her earned income that went toward the ROTH IRA and my gift (which is well below the yearly allowed by the IRS) simply went to her. :-).

All look like great ideas and I appreciate the suggestions.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:35 PM 04-26-2018
Just put sizable capital on BABA for a nice run (hopefully) before earnings report.

Will lock in some profits with a Stop loss above a certain level but hope to ride a decent gain before selling for some decent profits in the next few weeks. We’ve got too much money sitting in savings so I’m looking to swing trade a portion of our money into some income. I always place a stop loss when entering a new position as to not lose my ass. Should be interesting if nothing else!
[Reply]
wutamess 12:13 PM 04-27-2018

I had that same problem starting out. Called Fidelity and they allowed me to enter one of those limit MF's early. It may have been because I was getting money auto deposited every month but they let me do it. Might give them a call and see.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:35 PM 05-03-2018
Just put sizable capital on BABA for a nice run (hopefully) before earnings report.

Will lock in some profits with a Stop loss above a certain level but hope to ride a decent gain before selling for some decent profits in the next few weeks. We’ve got too much money sitting in savings so I’m looking to swing trade a portion of our money into some income. I always place a stop loss when entering a new position as to not lose my ass. Should be interesting if nothing else!
Did you sell? It definitely ran into earnings despite market choppiness. You're probably up 9-10 bucks/share if still holding.

I'd love for Tencent to keep dropping. Keeping my eye on that
They're supposed to IPO tencent music later this year
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:48 PM 05-03-2018

Have you come to a formula for where to set your stop loss? I've learned setting them too tight they get triggered and then the stock rebounds after and you end up losing the gain for the day.
[Reply]
lewdog 11:03 PM 05-04-2018
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Did you sell? It definitely ran into earnings despite market choppiness. You're probably up 9-10 bucks/share if still holding.

I'd love for Tencent to keep dropping. Keeping my eye on that
They're supposed to IPO tencent music later this year
Got in at $173 for 58 shares. Put a stop loss at $176 after a few days but that was unlikely to hit based on earnings speculation, it was just a precaution on my part.

Up 9% in a week on this.

I think it pushes near $200 shortly but I'll probably set my stop loss at $180 now and still lock in some profit if it turns. If it pushes over $190 for a few days, I will change that stop loss to $184 or so. It's been known to be very volatile and shift without notice especially around earnings reports.

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Have you come to a formula for where to set your stop loss? I've learned setting them too tight they get triggered and then the stock rebounds after and you end up losing the gain for the day.
I try to set them the morning of, after reading futures reports. Usually about 3-4% lower than previous days close, or I widen that gap if I've already made profit and think it will go higher. I'm using it more as a safety net to not have a drastic drop in the $10k I am playing with on these swing purchases. It's better to make a few hundred dollars profit (up 1-3%) than to get greedy attempting for more and losing hundreds of dollars on a quick swing.

My goal with this is generating a few hundred dollars a week swing trading different ETFs or individual stocks. This could also include something like SDOW (inverse) if futures and market outlook predicts sudden drops and trends.
[Reply]
Page 127 of 934
« First < 2777117123124125126127 128129130131137177227627 > Last »
Up