View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 50 of 343
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100150 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:20 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
So what's the threshold for giving OBJ the bag? Can he improve a little bit from last year and demonstrate health and consistency over two seasons and get it? Or does he have to be Orlando Pace?
When you're talking about handing a guy the biggest bag, then yeah, he should be in the type of conversation that evokes "one of the top few tackles in the NFL." Brown simply isn't.

Originally Posted by SAGA45:
It helps him to eventually get the deal he wants or something close, whether it's from the Chiefs or another team.

Brown is 26 with elite size and durability (played more snaps than any tackle in the league last season per PFF ). He seems fully aware of his value at a premium position and appears prepared to sit out the entire season if it comes to that.
There is a lot to be said about durability, I'll definitely give credence to that. It's kind of like the Trent Williams and Tyron Smiths of the world. Sure, they ARE among the top few tackles in the NFL, but they aren't always available.

I think this makes it more worth paying the guy than any other argument brought up yet. He's simply nowhere near good enough to deserve the biggest bag but he's there every day and that's valuable on its own.

For me, availability and other needs are what makes it hard to not pay him. If it's only about talent, then no I wouldn't, or at least not yet. I think the Chiefs should play him on the tag and see what the returns are. If he won't play on it, then I guess you see what Geron Christian brings. He did have a solid start through 7 games or so for Washington a couple of years ago before an injury derailed him. You're not risking much from the Chiefs' standpoint by playing Brown on the tag. In actuality, it's probably better to have that first-year discount of a long-term deal next season than it is this one. I doubt he's suddenly going from 25 per to 30 per a season, so I wouldn't be overly concerned there.

As for the risk of replacing him, yes, I do think there are a handful of very solid LT prospects next year if the Juniors declare that should. If I'm hand-picking a LT for Mahomes, it's probably Zion Nelson from Miami. That said, I really don't think KC is going to let him go in any facet.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:20 PM 06-17-2022
It helps him to eventually get the deal he wants or something close, whether it's from the Chiefs or another team.

Brown is 26 with elite size and durability (played more snaps than any tackle in the league last season per PFF ). He seems fully aware of his value at a premium position and appears prepared to sit out the entire season if it comes to that.
I hope he does sit out and the chiefs ball out to prove you dont need to sign him. That'd be great
[Reply]
BossChief 09:02 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I hope he does sit out and the chiefs ball out to prove you dont need to sign him. That'd be great
What’s wrong with some of you?
[Reply]
BWillie 09:04 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Shit John Dorsey woulda signed him for 250M. Lets go down that road
[Reply]
-King- 09:46 AM 06-18-2022

Hes the 17th ranked T on PFF.

He's not going to get the contract he wants after being the 8-14th best LT in the league AND taking a year off.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:20 AM 06-18-2022
They're worrying too much about $2-3M a year in AAV and not being realistic about the cost and risk associated with trying to find an alternative.
[Reply]
TEX 10:25 AM 06-18-2022
He's good, but not all that good.Certainly not worthy of bring paid as the top LT. What's wrong with some of you?
[Reply]
BossChief 10:35 AM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They're worrying too much about $2-3M a year in AAV and not being realistic about the cost and risk associated with trying to find an alternative.
It’s just wild that there are still people out there wanting to toss a top 10 (with upside) LT in the trash heap over such a small amount…but are totally ok trading multiple premium picks to trade from the end of the first to the top 10 to replace him with an unknown.

This year and next are the last years with smaller increases to the cap. In 2024, it’s skyrocketing.

The best answer is to pay him top 5 (or even top of market) AAV over a 6 year deal. In 2 years (when the bigger cap hits kick in) his salary will barely be top 10.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:39 AM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
He's good, but not all that good.Certainly not worthy of bring paid as the top LT. What's wrong with some of you?
Sorry, Tex. But you are being completely unrealistic.

Your stance (and others) is based in a fantasy world where elite LTs just fall from the sky.

Orlando improved tons over the course of the season and has seemingly lost 15-20 pounds of fat so far this offseason and has been working non stop on his technique. He’s only 26 and his best ball is in the future.

There are only 2 quality LTs in this next draft.

If we don’t pay Orlando and he sits out…you should take a second and look at the pass rushers we face this year and realize without Orlando, just that position would likely derail our whole season.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:40 AM 06-18-2022
Welcome to the N F fucking L.

Players who are not at the best at their position get paid like the best.

EVERY TEAM has those guys.

The only reason why people are bitching about paying OBJ is because we traded Tyreek and they foolishly cling to this narrative of "Veach chose OBJ over Tyreek" while completely fucking ignoring the compensation we received for trading Tyreek. We didn't just take two players, decide that we could only pay one of them, and then told the other to leave without getting anything in return.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:41 AM 06-18-2022
It's not your money, who gives a shit if he's overpaid?

If it doesn't screw up the cap I guess you're just going to have to find a way to live with it. Y'all are really doubling down on some dumb positions.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 11:04 AM 06-18-2022
I am opposed to making him the highest paid for sure but I definitely don't want him sitting out.
[Reply]
-King- 11:15 AM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
It's not your money, who gives a shit if he's overpaid?

If it doesn't screw up the cap I guess you're just going to have to find a way to live with it. Y'all are really doubling down on some dumb positions.
How would him being overpaid not affect the cap? If he's being paid like a top 3 LT but is playing like the 12th best LT, that's going to affect the cap because we're getting negative value. If he does play like a top 3 LT, then yeah we would be getting great value.

But to act like overpaying a player doesn't affect the cap is weird. Or that only reason you shouldn't worry about it is because it's not our money.
[Reply]
-King- 11:18 AM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Welcome to the N F fucking L.

Players who are not at the best at their position get paid like the best.

EVERY TEAM has those guys.

The only reason why people are bitching about paying OBJ is because we traded Tyreek and they foolishly cling to this narrative of "Veach chose OBJ over Tyreek" while completely fucking ignoring the compensation we received for trading Tyreek. We didn't just take two players, decide that we could only pay one of them, and then told the other to leave without getting anything in return.
For the most part it's you guys bringing up Tyreek for some reason. I've already said that while I hate the trade, I understand the logic of it.

And again, do you think he's going to actually sit out? If we're not willing to give him the deal he wants this year unless he proves himself, how would his negotiating stance improve by sitting out a year?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:46 AM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
How would him being overpaid not affect the cap? If he's being paid like a top 3 LT but is playing like the 12th best LT, that's going to affect the cap because we're getting negative value. If he does play like a top 3 LT, then yeah we would be getting great value.

But to act like overpaying a player doesn't affect the cap is weird. Or that only reason you shouldn't worry about it is because it's not our money.

Here’s how:

If he is given the biggest contract for a LT ever (which I expect) with the most guaranteed (which I expect) with a balloon year or two at the end that drive up the overall value but which are clearly cut or extend points (which I expect) he can both be the highest paid LT (technically) while also being a very reasonable cap hit, relative to a player of his skill set for the next 3-4 years, especially once the cap starts to drastically increase in a few years.

That’s the type of deal we’re going to see, IMO. Initial details (years and total value) will look crazy, maybe. Then we’ll see the structure and it will look better. Then a few years will pass and it will look even better.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 343
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100150 > Last »
Up