6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:32 AM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
He's useful don't get me wrong but I thought there was at least a small amt of power in there. His swing now doesn't look like he's even capable of hitting a home run.
Lopez would be an outstanding 2B option if he can hit 8th or 9th and just contribute like he is now.

He adds so much value at 2B and is a tough AB in the bottom of the lineup with some speed and the ability to put the ball in play.

If you're getting a lot of offense from C, SS, and CF (which the Royals are primed to do over the next several years, at least at C and SS and possibly CF if they move Mondesi out there and he can stay healthy), you can get by with a great glove/no pop 2B who is a pest.

If Hunter Dozier and Jorge Soler are hitting anywhere close to expectations, I think the story is how Lopez is a great fill-in for Mondesi.

I could see something in 22 (late in the year) that looks like this:

1. Merrifield RF
2. Witt SS
3. Benintendi LF
4. Perez C
5. Santana DH
6. Mondesi CF
7. Pratto 1B
8. Dozier 3B
9. Lopez 2B

In 23, once Melendez is ready, he would conceivably slide into the rotation at C and you'd use Perez in more of a 50/50 mix as C/DH.

If they decide to keep Benintendi long-term (And I could see them extending him in the offseason), Witt and Pratto could make the lineup deep enough for that to work long-term.

Of course, you also have Edward Olivares and Kyle Isbel lurking at the upper reaches of the minors, as well, guys they need to figure out and give another shot at some point. Hopefully this year...
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:59 AM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I’m tired of this fucking moron.

No MLB draft analyst had projected Mozzicato to go that high. Most, in fact, believed the Royals, which have benefited from a college pitching-laden 2018 MLB Draft class, would select Vanderbilt righty Kumar Rocker. That they didn’t sparked numerous questions; about what the Royals saw; about what the Royals were doing.

The answers to those questions lay in a word general manager Dayton Moore used 11 times Sunday night: upside.

“As we all know, you can never have enough pitching,” Moore said. “We’re going to have to take guys who have a chance to be No. 1 and No. 2 starters. You can look at certain college players, and you know they’re going to make it to the major leagues. But really, what’s their upside? No. 4 or No. 5 starters? No. 4 and No. 5 starters aren’t going to win championships. We’re going to be really aggressive. (Royals owner) John Sherman has spoken about sustained success. I’ve spoken about it. (Manager) Mike Matheny has, too. If you want sustained success, you’ve got to fill the pipeline with upside talent, and we’ve got to transition it and develop it properly. It’s going to take a little bit longer. We understand that. But we’re willing to pay the price for what we have to do long-term.”

We bought/traded for any and all 1 and 2 pitchers when we won the World Series, Dayton. You ass. You don’t even remember your own formula for success.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:36 AM 07-17-2021
Sustained success, something Moore has never managed to do in his career and he’s all of a sudden going to pull it out of his ass.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:34 PM 07-17-2021
@DetroitTigersPR: The Tigers have announced the following roster moves:

*Optioned INF Willi Castro to Triple A Toledo

*Designated OF Nomar Mazara for assignment

Shouldn't the Royals try to grab a guy like Mazara?

@BHIndepMO: Around Baseball: The Tigers DFAed Nomar Mazara, who didn't play enough games at Kauffman Stadium this year to save his spot.

Mazara is younger than every active Royals hitter (and is 3 months older than Mondesi) https://twitter.com/BHIndepMO/status...535425/photo/1

@BHIndepMO: This Royals team is righty-heavy on most nights, so if any team could use a question mark LH bat to play instead of a question mark RH bat, it's KC. Mazara's hitting was held to a high standard for his Rangers years due to the ballpark so his OPS+ has been under 100 every year.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:23 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
@DetroitTigersPR: The Tigers have announced the following roster moves:

*Optioned INF Willi Castro to Triple A Toledo

*Designated OF Nomar Mazara for assignment

Shouldn't the Royals try to grab a guy like Mazara?

@BHIndepMO: Around Baseball: The Tigers DFAed Nomar Mazara, who didn't play enough games at Kauffman Stadium this year to save his spot.

Mazara is younger than every active Royals hitter (and is 3 months older than Mondesi) https://twitter.com/BHIndepMO/status...535425/photo/1

@BHIndepMO: This Royals team is righty-heavy on most nights, so if any team could use a question mark LH bat to play instead of a question mark RH bat, it's KC. Mazara's hitting was held to a high standard for his Rangers years due to the ballpark so his OPS+ has been under 100 every year.
No, I don't think they should.

The guy is pretty MEH at best and been really bad since he got out of the hitter's haven in Arlington.
[Reply]
sedated 03:32 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
We bought/traded for any and all 1 and 2 pitchers when we won the World Series, Dayton. You ass. You don’t even remember your own formula for success.
The formula changes as the market changes
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:52 PM 07-17-2021
No surprise, but Mozzicato signed.

Wade Davis is back, Swarzak is DFA’d (which is funny, because they are basically the same pitcher in terms of their effectiveness anymore).
[Reply]
srvy 05:06 PM 07-17-2021
I half expected Mondi would have returned last night. The guy is often hurt and the slowest healer ever.

Makes one wonder if its a way to get shipped out of here.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 05:24 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
I half expected Mondi would have returned last night. The guy is often hurt and the slowest healer ever.

Makes one wonder if its a way to get shipped out of here.
He has a 2 to 4 month injury.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:44 PM 07-17-2021
Mozzicato signed for 3.5 million. 1.95 million under slot.

I’d expect most of that to be splashed on Kudrna, Wilson, and Nico Tresh.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:45 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Mozzicato signed for 3.5 million. 1.95 million under slot.

I’d expect most of that to be splashed on Kudrna, Wilson, and Nico Tresh.
I'd start to feel more "meh, okay" about the draft if we landed Nico.

Opinions could still swing very much if it turns out we drafted Colon instead of Sale again.
[Reply]
Dartgod 05:50 PM 07-17-2021
Fucking Brady pitching batting practice.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:58 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Fucking Brady pitching batting practice.

The story Hudler just told about Singer is infuriating.

Talked to Matheny. Asked about Singer’s changeup. Said they’ve told him he needs to throw it more but he doesn’t feel comfortable with it.

Well. Then. Make him use it and work on it. Or send him down to work on it.

Also said “we’re trying to win games here. Not developmental.”
[Reply]
tk13 06:03 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
The story Hudler just told about Singer is infuriating.

Talked to Matheny. Asked about Singer’s changeup. Said they’ve told him he needs to throw it more but he doesn’t feel comfortable with it.

Well. Then. Make him use it and work on it. Or send him down to work on it.

Also said “we’re trying to win games here. Not developmental.”
I was about to come in here and literally make this exact same post. That story seemed like a little aside from Rex but it was a really telling story. That answer was some vintage St. Louis Mike Matheny right there. Those are the type of things he always said to get the reputation for not handling young players well.

Obviously the main goal is to "win games" and the manager should be pushing that and not letting guys think it's ever okay to lose, but sometimes you have players who need to work on their game or develop parts of it, that's true in any sport. Especially when you've got a team full of young pitchers who are learning the game.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:06 PM 07-17-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
I was about to come in here and literally make this exact same post. That story seemed like a little aside from Rex but it was a really telling story. That answer was some vintage St. Louis Mike Matheny right there. Those are the type of things he always said to get the reputation for not handling young players well.

Obviously the main goal is to "win games" and the manager should be pushing that and not letting guys think it's ever okay to lose, but sometimes you have players who need to work on their game or develop parts of it, that's true in any sport. Especially when you've got a team full of young pitchers who are learning the game.
Funnily enough, Hud's "little stories" have resulted in some of the most condemning anecdotes about Matheny and Eldred this year.

I don't know what Brady expects. But he's not going to win using two pitches as a starter, and yeah, maybe he needs the Moose treatment and some time in triple A to make that realization (it's what got Moose to FINALLY start hitting the other way).
[Reply]
Page 253 of 440
« First < 153203243249250251252253 254255256257263303353 > Last »
Up