ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 28
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Media Center>The Boys (Amazon)
BigRichard 07:09 PM 04-17-2019
This looks great and I love Karl Urban in everything he shows up in .

[Red Band Trailer] F*ck superheroes. Why? Because when people score limitless power, they become a**holes. Drunk with power and fame. That’s where The Boys come in. from u/TheBoysTV

[Reply]
Bowser 06:14 PM 06-17-2022
"It'z lahk Kermit the Frog had a right wank in yor mouf"

:-)
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:13 PM 06-18-2022
THE MESSAGE!!! is getting to be more and more of a glaring point in this show... Police hate the black community... it is racist to patrol the black neighborhoods... yada yada yada

I also see that piece of shit Seth Rogan showed up in this episode as well.

God... I want this show to be better than that... I love the general plot but here we go with this stupid fucking bullshit.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:22 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
THE MESSAGE!!! is getting to be more and more of a glaring point in this show... Police hate the black community... it is racist to patrol the black neighborhoods... yada yada yada

God... I want this show to be better than that... I love the general plot but here we go with this stupid fucking bullshit.
You realize he's EP. Him and Evan picked up options on a ton of comic book properties, they EPed Preacher too, TMNT, Invincible, . . .

That said, yeah it was a wet fart of a comedic scene.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:49 PM 06-18-2022
I am shocked that a tv series based on a comic book that was a commentary about the shittiness of the bush administration and the war on terror could have anything that could be interpreted as commentary about the shittiness of radical evangelical alt right neonazis and their golden calf, president twittler. Inconceivable!
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:56 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I am shocked that a tv series based on a comic book that was a commentary about the shittiness of the bush administration and the war on terror could have anything that could be interpreted as commentary about the shittiness of radical evangelical alt right neonazis and their golden calf, president twittler. Inconceivable!
I don't know if you watch, but there's the concept of satirical viciousness, and then there's the execution.

And while I enjoy the show overall, the fit and finish is pretty ham-handed.

They'll have someone making a point about one issue, and then the chyron, or a reaction soundbite, references a completely unrelated buzzword.

For instance in the last episode, they replayed some of Homelander's speech from the previous episode about how he's tired of pretending he isn't superior to the rest of mankind, and the banner at the bottom of the broadcast said something about 'Homelander complains about cancel culture.'

That's a case of not respecting the intricacy of the source narrative and just wanting to insert buzzword snark.

Like I say, I mostly enjoy the show, . . . but the satire 'updating' is pretty amateurish.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:21 AM 06-19-2022
This show is woke garbage that won't be relevant 5 years from now.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:31 AM 06-19-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
This show is woke garbage that won't be relevant 5 years from now.

Is it?

Or is it consistent with the source material?

The comics were a satirical reflection of how shitty super power human beings would actually be, paralleling the challenges ordinary folks face with power, self-delusion, greed, and loss of inhibitions, while also exploring the dangers of unchecked, unmitigated corporate self-interest and manipulation.

It is a vehicle intended to shine a reductio ad absurdum light on our American society and make people think about things that might flit by unnoticed in your day-to-day grind.

If it makes you uncomfortable, it is functioning as intended.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:15 PM 06-19-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I don't know if you watch, but there's the concept of satirical viciousness, and then there's the execution.

And while I enjoy the show overall, the fit and finish is pretty ham-handed.

They'll have someone making a point about one issue, and then the chyron, or a reaction soundbite, references a completely unrelated buzzword.

For instance in the last episode, they replayed some of Homelander's speech from the previous episode about how he's tired of pretending he isn't superior to the rest of mankind, and the banner at the bottom of the broadcast said something about 'Homelander complains about cancel culture.'

That's a case of not respecting the intricacy of the source narrative and just wanting to insert buzzword snark.

Like I say, I mostly enjoy the show, . . . but the satire 'updating' is pretty amateurish.
Oh, and I just remembered, when they introduced Supersonic and they had to remind us several times he was hispanic because he looked like a regular fratboy dudebro boybander, . . . and it turns out it was just to pay off the joke where Homelander orders him a Vaught Taco Salad.

On one hand, a teensy bit clever and funny, . . . on the other incredibly ham-handed, desperate and shoehorned.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:40 PM 06-19-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Oh, and I just remembered, when they introduced Supersonic and they had to remind us several times he was hispanic because he looked like a regular fratboy dudebro boybander, . . . and it turns out it was just to pay off the joke where Homelander orders him a Vaught Taco Salad.

On one hand, a teensy bit clever and funny, . . . on the other incredibly ham-handed, desperate and shoehorned.
Were they reminding the viewers? Or were the characters in the show talking about it as an example of token minority representation?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:53 PM 06-19-2022
Here's another, from previous season. . .

So I get he's satirizing Dubya's bravado, but if you accept the implications of the satire as written, given that Homelander explicitly and directly downed the airliner himself . . . then you've signed onto more crazy than any of the 9/11 was an inside job folks. . . . But you do you folks.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:17 AM 06-24-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Here's a little closed captioner's verbiage choice that you won't soon forget. . . .
Attached: The Boys - Seth CC.jpg (58.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Spott 08:39 PM 06-25-2022
Episode 6 was pretty twisted. Definitely looking forward to the last two episodes.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:47 PM 06-25-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
Episode 6 was pretty twisted. Definitely looking forward to the last two episodes.
Lol, yeah, that was......something. You knew it was going to be bad when they put the disclaimer at the front of the episode, haha. I expected more, or better, out of the action finale. It was GOOD, but I felt it should have been better.

And oh yeah, Hughie is a stupid ass.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:49 PM 06-25-2022
That episode was amazing. Might be the best of the entire series so far.
[Reply]
Spott 08:52 PM 06-25-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Lol, yeah, that was......something. You knew it was going to be bad when they put the disclaimer at the front of the episode, haha. I expected more, or better, out of the action finale. It was GOOD, but I felt it should have been better.

And oh yeah, Hughie is a stupid ass.
That last fight should have been a lot better, but I’m hoping they are building up to a hell of a season finale. I could probably do without the deep character, too.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 28
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Up