ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 46
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The SNL Thread
Easy 6 08:51 PM 05-12-2007
I've been considering doing this for a while, so here goes. A thread to discuss anyone & anything relating to the show.

They keep a pretty tight lid on all images & apparently stay after youtube as well, so those kinds of things might be a 'lil hard to come by, but oh well.

Pretty much everyone here seems to be a fan of it on some level, so it might be kinda fun.

Its as close to Cant Miss Television as there is for me.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:54 PM 11-21-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I watched the Michael Che standup on Netflix last night. He gets off to a slow start but gets it rolling pretty good.

He delivers some legit laugh out loud moments and I enjoyed it.
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I didn’t know this was a thing. May check it out tonight.
He and Roy Wood Jr. both had specials out last week. Che's was, OK. He was a little subdued and it came off more like a somewhat amusing soliquoy more than a standup act. Roy was more animated and more traditionally standup. His observations were a little more humorous.

Regarding their actual material, they had a slightly [but not overly] surprising amount of overlapping or concurrent observations. I won't detail them so as not to spoil the shows.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 11:19 AM 11-22-2021
At this point SNL is like a $2 scratcher you buy at Circle K. Every sketch is like scratching off a silver bar, hoping to get something great and nope. nothing. Best you get is a "free ticket" once in a while.

There's no really breakout stars that past great SNL eras were built around (Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, Cheri Oteri, Kristen Wiig, etc.)

And on top of that, there are no recurring sketches. Always used to be "this is gonna be great" when the scene opened and it was Mr. Robinson, or The Californians, or Spartan Spirit etc. I do agree with others who've said that fear of being cancelled for insulting someone, and the real-time flow of comedic takes on culture flooding our streams now make it hard to stay fresh, but that's where the random and surprising stuff should come in.

Also, giving Pete Davidson half the sketches because he's dating Kim Kardashian is a waste. Dude is funniest when he's himself guest commenting on Weekend update.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:17 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by GayFrogs:
I love the new trump. It doesn't come from a place of pure hatred..it took snl however long, 6 years, to understand how important that is.
Yeah, the new guy's Trump from the imitation standpoint is spot on. Very well done.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:00 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:

There's no really breakout stars that past great SNL eras were built around (Adam Sandler, Will Farrell, Cheri Oteri, Kristen Wiig, etc.)

I don't even know who this is.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:23 PM 11-23-2021
I watched some episodes this season. I like the Asian guy. He’s funny. Digging the Pete Davidson films. Seems to have some renewed mojo.
[Reply]
Jenson71 10:30 PM 11-23-2021
I like SNL, but I don't like Colin Jost as a weekend update anchor. I like the anchors who play it like an actual anchor. It would be funny if he said an edgy joke straight. He says or hears Che tell a joke and then gushes over it with this, "Cmon guys, we're all having fun" vibe.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:47 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
I like SNL, but I don't like Colin Jost as a weekend update anchor. I like the anchors who play it like an actual anchor. It would be funny if he said an edgy joke straight. He says or hears Che tell a joke and then gushes over it with this, "Cmon guys, we're all having fun" vibe.

You are just jealous because he nails Scarlett every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:23 AM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I don't even know who this is.
There was a point where people were wondering if SNL was going to become The Kristen Wiig show. She was in there at a point where her co-stars weren't really distinguishing themselves, and nearly every skit featured her.

If you've seen SNL AT ALL in the past decade, you'd recognize who we're talking about if you saw her.

[Reply]
Mennonite 09:01 AM 11-24-2021
I haven't watched in approximately 20 years. Coincidentally, I watched Ghostbusters (2016) last night and saw her name in the credits.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:35 AM 11-24-2021
I’m sure we remember the good skits and think those years/era was a lot better than it was as a whole. Most skits fall flat. Nature of the beast.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:08 AM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
At this point SNL is like a $2 scratcher you buy at Circle K. Every sketch is like scratching off a silver bar, hoping to get something great and nope. nothing. Best you get is a "free ticket" once in a while.

And on top of that, there are no recurring sketches. Always used to be "this is gonna be great" when the scene opened and it was Mr. Robinson, or The Californians, or Spartan Spirit etc. I do agree with others who've said that fear of being cancelled for insulting someone, and the real-time flow of comedic takes on culture flooding our streams now make it hard to stay fresh, but that's where the random and surprising stuff should come in.

Also, giving Pete Davidson half the sketches because he's dating Kim Kardashian is a waste. Dude is funniest when he's himself guest commenting on Weekend update.
Didn't even dawn on me until you said it, but yeah great point about not having recurring characters anymore... guess they just don't have the talent to pull it off these days

And I'll simply never understand Davidsons appeal, he's the exact same guy every single time
[Reply]
GayFrogs 11:02 AM 11-24-2021
I get that and it's gross sometimes but there have been some terrible straight anchors. Kevin Nealon comes to mind.
[Reply]
sedated 11:17 AM 11-24-2021
I like Colin Jost, but mostly because he always seems to have really good material.

Maybe he is like the Jimmy Fallon of Weekend Update - laughing in the middle of sketches - it annoyed some people, but some people laughed in part because he was cracking up.
[Reply]
Third Eye 02:06 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
He and Roy Wood Jr. both had specials out last week. Che's was, OK. He was a little subdued and it came off more like a somewhat amusing soliquoy more than a standup act. Roy was more animated and more traditionally standup. His observations were a little more humorous.

Regarding their actual material, they had a slightly [but not overly] surprising amount of overlapping or concurrent observations. I won't detail them so as not to spoil the shows.
I think it says something about how out of touch I am that I had no idea who Roy Wood Jr. was until I just now googled him. I haven’t watched The Daily Show in years, well before Jon Stewart ceased being the host, so that explains it. I’ll check out his special.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:15 PM 12-18-2021
May be cancelled tonight, GhiynnaFlu.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 46
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Up