« First < 382432472478479480481482 483484485486492532582 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:43 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
63% right now :-)
Bought yesterday at 2 in premarket. Sold today at 3.15.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:46 PM 02-12-2021

[Reply]
KCUnited 04:18 PM 02-12-2021
I'm +160% on CCIV after Gochiefs initial post in this thread

Lew, send that man a bottle of his choice on my behalf!

Seriously though, great call
[Reply]
candyman 05:46 PM 02-12-2021
Anyone invest in ETF's? I've only done stocks/crypto so don't know much about them, but I'm getting tired of trying to find the next big thing, being late, buying too high and selling for a minimal profit. I just dont have the time/patience for it and honestly kind of suck at it.

Are ETF's a good long term investment that I dont need to check on every day? Looks like all of the ARK ETF's have steadily done well over the last year.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:57 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by candyman:
Anyone invest in ETF's? I've only done stocks/crypto so don't know much about them, but I'm getting tired of trying to find the next big thing, being late, buying too high and selling for a minimal profit. I just dont have the time/patience for it and honestly kind of suck at it.

Are ETF's a good long term investment that I dont need to check on every day? Looks like all of the ARK ETF's have steadily done well over the last year.
Get your cash ready for ARKX which should start around the end of March
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:52 PM 02-12-2021

ETFs are the best long term investment. They won’t outrun the stock market, but most mutual funds don’t either. Plus their fees are super cheap, maybe free in etrade. My IRA is in S&P ETF.
[Reply]
scho63 07:04 PM 02-12-2021
I invested in RED 9 today. No good. Tomorrow is BLACK 26. I heard it's a sure thing. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 07:44 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
I invested in RED 9 today. No good. Tomorrow is BLACK 26. I heard it's a sure thing. :-)
Kind of true. Flow with momentum but have risk management strategies. Too many buy and hold because they’ve got some price target in their head. It’s dangerous.

Right now, the market is "Extremely" easy for bulls, everything goes up like a rocket ship... if thats your strategy, this wont last long after stimulus, and if you were trading back in september/october last year, you would have noticed the market slowed down almost to a halt, like it normally is. So I encourage you to make sure that your strategies dont only rely on buying some hype stock and hold then sell at a profit, cause the profit taking might never come in a real market
[Reply]
lewdog 07:49 PM 02-12-2021

ARK funds are good. I’ve moved some of my wife’s IRA over to them.

Set and forget. Rebalance them 1-2x per year if needed.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:00 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm +160% on CCIV after Gochiefs initial post in this thread

Lew, send that man a bottle of his choice on my behalf!

Seriously though, great call
I’ve offered to send him a bottle before. He always declines.

What’s the plan with this one?
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:07 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:

100% retail so Lambos and blow or I just get my money back
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:11 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Only once :-)

You can send me a bottle when I buy a house.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:55 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Only once :-)

You can send me a bottle when I buy a house.
Deal.

Just stop Neg repping me man!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:18 PM 02-12-2021
as soon as you stop pretending to be the tom riddle of the Dow Jones

[Reply]
lewdog 08:04 AM 02-13-2021
I hope this can be helpful to some but risk management and capital loss prevention are huge if you want your account to grow over time. Without some discipline, all it takes is one bad stock purchase to wipe out months or years of gains. Too many people right now are looking for quick, large gains and comparing themselves to others. This leads to bad decisions and large draw-downs if the market or your stocks correct.

Rules that I believe help accomplish this.
1. Never put more than 10% of your total account value in any one stock.
2. Always determine your exit point if the stock heads south. Stop losses are crucial if this position is 5% or greater of your total account value because basic math will show you this. If it’s a penny stock and maybe it’s only a few hundred dollars and less than 1% of your total account value, a stop is probably not needed.
3. A stop market loss should never be set to greater than 10% loss. I track all my trades and try to keep losses to 4-8%. If I can double my gains compared to losses, I only have to be right on 50% of my trades to make a nice profit.

Why 10% position size and 10% stop loss makes sense….it protects your total account value in ANY kind of market. Let’s use a $10k account balance for easy math.

If a risky trader decides to use two, $5k position sizes to enter two stocks and doesn’t use a stop loss (hey it’s a volatile penny stock!). If one of those positions heads south and loses 50% that position is now worth $2,500. The trader decides to get out of that trade (finally!) and moves to a different stock. Now in order to get back to break even (original $5k), that new position must gain 100%. 100% just to get back to break even! You are now guaranteed going to try to enter riskier trades and look for even quicker profits, many times resulting in worse decisions and more damage to your total account value.

Let’s say this trader followed the rules I posted here. At most for his $10k account he would have a $1k position size. If he gets an entry and sets a stop loss at maximum 10% loss on this $1k position, at most he will lose is $100 on any one trade. $100 is only 1% of total account value. You still maintain capital to find smaller, quicker gains and not have to final a unicorn to gain 100% in a stock to get back to breakeven like the scenario above.

The worst feeling you can have is a huge drawdown on your account. I promise you.
[Reply]
Page 482 of 934
« First < 382432472478479480481482 483484485486492532582 > Last »
Up