ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>My Report from OTA's.
Why Not? 02:10 PM 06-06-2023
So, my buddy and I split penthouse suite season tickets. Yes, it's pricey, but you gotta spend money on something and if you love football (we do) and the Chiefs (we do), we figure there is never gonna be a time as good as these past few and next few (10-12) years, so we might as well. Anyway, last week I got an invite to attend a practice today 6/6, and eat lunch in the Chiefs cafeteria. My buddy had a prior commitment so I took my 11 year old son. I figured it was a deal for season ticket holders or at least some of them. When we arrived at the practice facility, we learned it would be just he and I. Very cool! We met our Chiefs rep (Maggie Sprague, I highly recommend going through her for season tickets or events. Very cool, friendly lady) at the check in and got a brief tour of the practice facility and coaches offices area. Then we went to the cafeteria where the players and staff eat. It was like what you've always heard an NFL eatery to be. Tons of fresh and tasty awesome foods. You name it, it was there:

Multiple fresh fruit and yogurt options
4 kinds of fresh salads
grade A beef cheeseburgers, meatball subs, pastas, deli sandwich bar, build your own pizza, turkey burgers, beyond burgers, soups, veggies, grilled chicken
every type of chip imaginable
every sports drink imaginable
smoothie bar
and more

It was all you can eat so I tried as much as I could. It was all excellent!

Then we were led out to the practice porch. A small patio area overlooking the practices fields. It was a table and a couple of chairs with an umbrella shade. As far as I could tell, the only non Chiefs or Chiefs staff there other than us, were a couple of Iowa football coaches who had been invited by the Chiefs. They were on the field.

Practice Notes:

We focused mostly on offensive skill positions because they were not in full pads or anything so watching defense wasn't all that exciting. A few exceptions were the following:

Nick Bolton made a nice pass break up on a pass by Mahomes in 7v7

Willie Gay dropped a pick of Mahomes in the same drill

Nic Jones kinda laid out Richie James, which was odd for a slight contact helmet and shorts practice. The defensive players loved it. Not sure the coaches felt the same way. Probably a rookie trying to make a name for himself.

On offense a few things stood out:

Mahomes looked in season form for the most part. He was barking all sorts of shit at everyone after every play, motivating them. This dude does not take days off mentally.

The TE's all looked pretty good. Noah Gray had some nice open field moves. Kelce was Kelce

Guys, if and I get it's a big if, he can stay healthy, Toney is going to be such a beast this year. He was the most targeted player in the starters vs the starters work and he caught everything and was super explosive. Andy and Patrick have big plans for him this year.

After seeing practice today, I am 100% all in on the "watch out for Skyy Moore this year" train. He just looks like a player with more confidence. His route running really is outstanding.

A lot of people love to hate him, but Justin Watson looked great on a few deep balls.

Rice did okay. Caught a few, had one bad drop. To be expected.

Justyn Ross looked really good to me. Looked explosive and caught most of his targets.

John Ross did not looks a good. Kinda alligator armed the one target I saw him get.

Prince is a fast as advertised. CEH looked really good (ducks).

Coaches were in full season form. Heard lots of cussing and yelling. lol

Unfortunately, but totally understandably, no interacting with players was allowed. But we did get some cool swag and had an amazing day! I told my 11 year old that on June 6th, 2023 he was the only kid in the world to see the Chiefs practice live!

I know it was only helmets and shorts but these guys look really focused and sharp already! Wake me up when September comes!!!!!

EDIT: I almost forgot a couple of interesting details. Per Maggie, she has to send the names of anyone invited to something like this to Andy and the coaches so they can do their own background check to make sure you are deemed trustworthy enough to attend practice. Also, they have you leave your cellphone in a basket inside, absolutely no pictures or videos of practice allowed.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:13 PM 06-06-2023
Did u out eat Reid
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 02:14 PM 06-06-2023
Cool! Sounds like an awesome time, and thanks for the OTA report!
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:14 PM 06-06-2023
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Did u out eat Reid
Reid don't get ate out.

He eats out.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 02:14 PM 06-06-2023
Did u out eat Reid
I read that wrong at first... :-)
[Reply]
TEX 02:14 PM 06-06-2023
Good stuff!
Thanks for the report.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:17 PM 06-06-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Oh shit. Me too.

Bwahahahahaha
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:17 PM 06-06-2023
I think every receiver who played for us last year is going to be better this season.

The receiver group is more than the sum of it's parts with Patrick slingin' it.
[Reply]
Why Not? 02:17 PM 06-06-2023
Did u out eat Reid
Tried to but I was full from the cafeteria food.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 02:18 PM 06-06-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
I read it wrong several times until reading this
[Reply]
Why Not? 02:18 PM 06-06-2023
:-)
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Oh shit. Me too.

Bwahahahahaha
Me 3. Hence my response.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:19 PM 06-06-2023
Man that sounds awesome!
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:19 PM 06-06-2023
Prince the tackle?
[Reply]
Hydrae 02:19 PM 06-06-2023
What an awesome experience! I am only a little jealous. :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 02:20 PM 06-06-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Oh shit. Me too.

Bwahahahahaha
Afraid I'm going to spend the next few months trying to unsee that mental picture

:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up