ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mars declared unsafe for humans to live as no one can survive for longer than 4 years
Hammock Parties 08:50 PM 06-03-2023
https://www.unilad.com/features/mira...26739-20230530

Originally Posted by :
For years, there's been talk of one day mankind living on Mars.

And in recent times, with the likes of Elon Musk seemingly on a one-man crusade to get there first, it looks like it might happen fairly soon.

But according to one of the most recent studies into the viability of human life on the Red Planet, it might not be as easy as you'd think.

Yep, research carried out by team at UCLA looked to answer two key questions - the first being around the impact of particle radiation and whether it would pose too grave a threat to human life.

The second was whether the timing of a mission to Mars could protect astronauts and the spacecraft from radiation?

To answer both questions, the scientists used geophysical models of particle radiation for a solar cycle and models of how radiation could affect both human passengers and a spacecraft.

Now, the good news is that the answers to their two questions were 'no' and 'yes', respectively.

According to the scientists' calculations, the spacecraft should provide enough protection during the round trip to and from Mars for the astronauts.

However, if the material the spacecraft is built with is too thick, then it could actually increase the amount of secondary radiation.

They also noted that this would largely be dependent on the timing of the mission as well.

Researchers claimed the best time to leave Earth would be when the solar activity is at its peak.

This is because during the 'solar maximum' the most dangerous particles are deflected, thus shielding the astronauts from the worst of it.

On the other hand, the bad news is that experts recommended humans should spend no longer than four years on any mission to the planet.

According to the study, which was published in the Advancing Earth and Science Journal, beyond this point, the levels of radiation become unsafe.

It reads: "Our calculations clearly demonstrate that the best time for launching a human space flight to Mars is during the solar maximum, as it is possible to shield from Solar Energetic Particles.

"Our simulations show that an increase in shielding creates an increase in secondary radiation produced by the most energetic GCR, which results in a higher dose, introducing a limit to a mission duration.

"We estimate that a potential mission to Mars should not exceed approximately four years.

"This study shows that space radiation imposes strict limitations and presents technological difficulties for the human mission to Mars, such a mission is still viable."

[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 01:10 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Ive always thought the best way for us to live off of Earth is advanced space stations
If human beings do colonize space, we will live in large space stations. Celestial bodies will just be lumber yards.....places we go to get building materials. Planets like Mars will be the last places we go to get materials because its gravity well is so strong.

I don't see humanity colonizing space. Instead I am convinced that humanity is on the road to extinction.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:18 AM 06-04-2023
Significantly longer than Cincinnati
[Reply]
scho63 02:13 AM 06-04-2023
The only thing of mine going to Mars may be my ashes when I die.

The future generations will be dealing with this shit.

Lotsa luck to ya.
[Reply]
jd1020 05:08 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
The only thing of mine going to Mars may be my ashes when I die.

The future generations will be dealing with this shit.

Lotsa luck to ya.
The estimations for Earth leaving the habitable zone is anywhere from 1.75 to 3 billion years from now. Earth will probably eat another planet killing asteroid before then.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:45 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
The estimations for Earth leaving the habitable zone is anywhere from 1.75 to 3 billion years from now. Earth will probably eat another planet killing asteroid before then.
Yep. It's a near certainty a planet-killer asteroid will hit Earth over just the next million years or whatever. Way before the Sun expands into a red giant and swallows the Earth or any other natural calamity.

Beginning to look like we'll have to leave the solar system to find another long-term habitable planet.
[Reply]
TLO 07:48 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yep. It's a near certainty a planet-killer asteroid will hit Earth over just the next million years or whatever. Way before the Sun expands into a red giant and swallows the Earth or any other natural calamity.

Beginning to look like we'll have to leave the solar system to find another long-term habitable planet.
That's so far into the future that I don't think it's likely humans are still around. Something will kill us all off. Probably ourselves.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:03 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by George Brett Statue:
That's so far into the future that I don't think it's likely humans are still around. Something will kill us all off. Probably ourselves.
Probably it'll be ourselves. Though a planet-killer rock could hit us at any time really. Just in the last decade there have been at least a dozen rocks that have passed by closer than the Moon's orbit. And those are just the ones we saw. Probably many more we didn't see.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:09 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by George Brett Statue:
That's so far into the future that I don't think it's likely humans are still around. The WEF will kill us all off.
FYP
[Reply]
Rausch 08:29 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
So naturally I'm wondering what they've discovered on Mars that would want them to keep the rest of us away from it.
Answers.

Think of a place you really don't want other people to go. My guess would be that place is perfect and you don't want other people ruining it...
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 08:54 AM 06-04-2023
The third tit will poke your eye out, kid
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:08 AM 06-04-2023
Without a magnetic field, Mars will require some major technology for Humans to be able to survive on the surface. I have become rather pessimistic about our chances; we choose to not learn from past mistakes, refuse to work together or even consider the point of view of those we disagree with. Life as we know it, is very aggressive and violent. Perhaps we will learn to rise above it or we will succumb to our emotions and destroy ourselves.

Asteroid Impact, Yellowstone Eruption, Pandemic or Nuclear War.

On our current trajectory, one of these seems likely.
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 09:24 AM 06-04-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
https://www.unilad.com/features/mira...26739-20230530

[Reply]
scho63 09:34 AM 06-04-2023
This is a bullshit story with anti-Musk backing.

If you can't figure this out, it's why our media is so fucking corrupt. There is no longer news, there is propaganda.
[Reply]
GeorgeZimZam 10:13 AM 06-04-2023

[Reply]
Rain Man 10:26 AM 06-04-2023
Everyone is missing the obvious solution here. There's enough raw material on Earth to build another earth. We just have to start bringing dirt and rock up into orbit and then coagulate it in another place. It'll get easier to do that as the original Earth starts getting smaller.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up