ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Media Center>T-Mobile Home Internet
AdolfOliverBush 02:56 PM 03-21-2023
For many years I used Verizon for cell service, and Cox for internet. Their services were fine, but I recently looked into T-Mobile and switched everything over to them.

Their comparable phone plan is 50% lower than Verizon, and that price is guaranteed to never increase. They also offer home internet service in my area, and since I was a new customer I qualified for a discount. I now pay $30 a month for internet service with no data cap, and about 150 Mb/s download speed. It performs every bit a well as the Cox service, and I got a $50 rebate for signing up.

They also pay for my basic Netflix for life, same with Apple TV.

I'm not trying to be a spokesperson for T-Mobile, but if you live anywhere near one of their towers, you might be able to save a significant amount of money, depending on your current setup.
[Reply]
bigjosh 10:10 AM 03-22-2023
Unfortunately tmobile home isn’t available in my area yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:49 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
FYI, YoutubeTV incorporates the same geographic restrictions, but it's only enforced like every 3-4 months. You'll essentially have a "Home" location, and you will have to check in from that location to continue to use it. If you click on your account within the Youtube TV app or webpage, you'll see a Location setting that will list your Home area and your current playback area. It sounds like your home area is set to something in TX or OK. You should be able to update that, but it might require you to log into YoutubeTV from a dedicated network in your actual local area.
Yeah, that works for YTTV. Unfortunately, most services just use IP addresses. I'm not sure how Netflix is going to handle the multiple logins issue because if they're using IP addresses, a lot of people on residential broadband pull IP's from dynamic pools that aren't necessarily geo-located anymore.

I'm not aware of any setting in the Hulu app that will do what the YTTV app will do and actually set your location. That's really his problem.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:49 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Unfortunately tmobile home isn’t available in my area yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where do you live? I could see how far coverage is from you.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 10:59 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Netflix has the same exact thing. They're charging (or will be charging, depending on where you live) for separate households now, so they have to know if two locations are distinct. I would call Hulu myself and ask.

I haven't tried Hulu over FWA yet, if I get a chance I will test it. I can't imagine Hulu's app, across all platforms, is location agnostic.
I get Hulu just fine, its the Live TV version that has a problem. I've read about it before, but can't recall, Something about how Hulu identifies your location is different from other services.

In YouTube LiveTV, I have entered my zip code, and get my local versions of ABC, CBS, etc. It's just the nonlocal channels that show out of area commercials. That and computer searches that are non localized
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:03 AM 03-22-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I get Hulu just fine, its the Live TV version that has a problem. I've read about it before, but can't recall, Something about how Hulu identifies your location is different from other services.

In YouTube LiveTV, I have entered my zip code, and get my local versions of ABC, CBS, etc. It's just the nonlocal channels that show out of area commercials. That and computer searches that are non localized
I'm guessing then that Hulu Live is indeed location-dependent. If that's the case, they SHOULD give you an option to change it manually, like pretty much ever other provider does (I mean even the NFL app does this).

I'll look it up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:06 AM 03-22-2023
So yeah, they do look at location services but it it's not clear which devices support it. There's a bunch of streaming devices like Roku and Chromecast in their support devices list but the instructions pretty clearly assume you have a PC or mobile device to set your location.

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/location-services
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:53 PM 03-22-2023
Sounds like you're in a "standard 5G" footprint.

There's really 3 flavors of 5G.

Lowband sounds like what you have. Less speed, less reliable, but reaches a farther distance. Very similar in profile to 4G LTE.

Midrange is the next level. More bandwidth but less range, can support more users and devices.

Finally, there's mmWave. MUCH more bandwidth, much higher download speeds, can support many more users and devices but over a limited range. I am able to get mmWave coverage in Des Moines and it's indistinguishable from my fiber connection at home.

FWIW, I run my FWA as backup for my fiber connection right now. I'm going to switch over in a couple of weeks to test it as primary.
Yeah, T-Mo support kept saying they were always upgrading towers, doing work on my tower, etc; but nothing ever came of it... seems like they rolled it out way too quickly and figured customer support could just bullshit their way through it.

It was just annoying that tethering to my phone at times was far superior when using the same freakin' tower, except I'd hit T-Mobile data limits tethering only because their shitty internet wasn't working. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:45 PM 03-23-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, T-Mo support kept saying they were always upgrading towers, doing work on my tower, etc; but nothing ever came of it... seems like they rolled it out way too quickly and figured customer support could just bullshit their way through it.

It was just annoying that tethering to my phone at times was far superior when using the same freakin' tower, except I'd hit T-Mobile data limits tethering only because their shitty internet wasn't working. :-)
If it makes you feel any better, pretty much all mobile companies are doing the same thing. 5G is like the great new frontier and everybody is thinking it's a gold rush.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:32 PM 04-16-2023
Currently in a shitty internet situation, so caved this weekend and got TMobile internet again..... so far the network metrics look good, but the main issue before was consistency, so will just have to see how it goes.

Bad internet for work was one thing, but the NHL playoffs start this week and shit was going to get real. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:21 AM 04-17-2023
Currently in a shitty internet situation, so caved this weekend and got TMobile internet again..... so far the network metrics look good, but the main issue before was consistency, so will just have to see how it goes.

Bad internet for work was one thing, but the NHL playoffs start this week and shit was going to get real. :-)
I'm gonna be testing 5G UWB with Verizon here soon. They're supposed to be shipping me a router this week.

I'll let you know how it goes with me as well.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:31 PM 04-17-2023
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
For many years I used Verizon for cell service, and Cox for internet. Their services were fine, but I recently looked into T-Mobile and switched everything over to them.

Their comparable phone plan is 50% lower than Verizon, and that price is guaranteed to never increase. They also offer home internet service in my area, and since I was a new customer I qualified for a discount. I now pay $30 a month for internet service with no data cap, and about 150 Mb/s download speed. It performs every bit a well as the Cox service, and I got a $50 rebate for signing up.

They also pay for my basic Netflix for life, same with Apple TV.

I'm not trying to be a spokesperson for T-Mobile, but if you live anywhere near one of their towers, you might be able to save a significant amount of money, depending on your current setup.
Make sure to get the T-Mobile Tuesdays app if you don't already have it. They always offer nice things and sometimes really good things. I got MLB.TV free for this season (and last), 2023 MLS Season Pass for free, 30% off Crocs (which my family loves wearing), and multiple times I had ad free weekends with Pandora.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:45 PM 04-17-2023
I'm gonna be testing 5G UWB with Verizon here soon. They're supposed to be shipping me a router this week.

I'll let you know how it goes with me as well.
Thanks, TMobile did well on its first day of work. The only issue I noticed was my TMobile phone of all devices had some latency, but no issues with Teams meeting latency and constantly talking over people, or random drops of the network.

And now to stream 6 hours of hockey...
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:05 AM 04-19-2023
Thanks, TMobile did well on its first day of work. The only issue I noticed was my TMobile phone of all devices had some latency, but no issues with Teams meeting latency and constantly talking over people, or random drops of the network.

And now to stream 6 hours of hockey...
Yeah, tax that bitch and see what it can do.

Currently, I use my phone to test 5G coverage as I don't have my router yet. If I can get into mmWave/ultrawideband coverage, I can get downloads as much as 600 and latency as low as 20ms. I've tried MP gaming with my PS5 tethered via wifi to my phone and it works just fine.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:54 AM 04-21-2023
I'm going to give this a try. I really don't know what else to do. I have had issues with both AT&T and Spectrum as far as a reliable connection and nobody else is really available in my area in West Shawnee. It just has to be consistent for me since I play online poker. I need it reliable over speed even to be honest although I do also need 50 mbps+. I've lost at least $2,000 this year from the internet cutting out during my play.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:44 PM 04-21-2023
Yeah, tax that bitch and see what it can do.

Currently, I use my phone to test 5G coverage as I don't have my router yet. If I can get into mmWave/ultrawideband coverage, I can get downloads as much as 600 and latency as low as 20ms. I've tried MP gaming with my PS5 tethered via wifi to my phone and it works just fine.
Well, it took most of the week, but back to the same old shit.... it's been terrible all day. Phone data has been faster off wifi (and probably using the same damn tower) and switched to the slightly less shitty internet option for work.

The TMobile internet display has been teetering between "very good" and "good" most of the day. Haven't really had the time to troubleshoot besides confirming the signal is still coming from the same place, just seeing the shitty latency and a 20th of the speed. :-)

[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up