« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Media Center>Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Hammock Parties 01:46 PM 12-10-2007
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:32 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Dane i certainly appreciate alot of your "inside the Biz" info....

But even you can admit that you do come off at times with an "elitist vibe" that turns alot of people off. No offense..
Well Mr. DeBerg, here's the deal:

When I'm talking with real life friends and colleagues, none of what I say comes off as "Elitist". It's just dead-on factual information and discussion. No one that I know is "offended". If it "offends" you, it sounds to me like a personal issue.

For some unknown reason, factual information and discussion about such topics as illegal downloading, "Green Screen" technology, screenplays, score, etc. seem to be "Taboo" on this forum, even though this is the Media Forum. Furthermore, no one else in this forum has actual experience in this arena (other than those mentioned in my last post).

And BELIEVE ME, there is SO much behind the scenes shit that goes on (outside of the technical issues) that if I brought any of it up, none of you would even believe me.

Case in point, something so simple as Rockstar: INXS a few years back brought tons of wrath my way. My wife was shown in the front row of almost every episode (and sometimes, the cameras were on her for more than 2 full seconds), my former neighbor directly across the street freakin' PRODUCED the show, yet when I would post on that thread and tell people a few "revealing" comments, they'd call me a liar.

Until the show would air.

So as long as I'm involved in ANY of these discussions, I can't win.
[Reply]
007 12:47 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well Mr. DeBerg, here's the deal:

When I'm talking with real life friends and colleagues, none of what I say comes off as "Elitist". It's just dead-on factual information and discussion. No one that I know is "offended". If it "offends" you, it sounds to me like a personal issue.

For some unknown reason, factual information and discussion about such topics as illegal downloading, "Green Screen" technology, screenplays, score, etc. seem to be "Taboo" on this forum, even though this is the Media Forum. Furthermore, no one else in this forum has actual experience in this arena (other than those mentioned in my last post).

And BELIEVE ME, there is SO much behind the scenes shit that goes on (outside of the technical issues) that if I brought any of it up, none of you would even believe me.

Case in point, something so simple as Rockstar: INXS a few years back brought tons of wrath my way. My wife was shown in the front row of almost every episode (and sometimes, the cameras were on her for more than 2 full seconds), my former neighbor directly across the street freakin' PRODUCED the show, yet when I would post on that thread and tell people a few "revealing" comments, they'd call me a liar.

Until the show would air.

So as long as I'm involved in ANY of these discussions, I can't win.
I loved Rockstar: INXS

That was fun to watch.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:50 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Guru:
I loved Rockstar: INXS

That was fun to watch.
Yeah, it was fun. I never went to any of the tapings but my wife was a huge INXS fan and went to almost every show. Same with "Super Nova" (which sucked, but she still had fun).

By the way, JD was/is a drunk. That's why it didn't work with INXS. I mentioned that a few years ago but no one believed me.
[Reply]
Chiefs Pantalones 12:51 AM 05-24-2008
I'm not a hater Dane I think it rocks that you do what you do and give information about it willingly for real. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:03 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder:
I'm not a hater Dane I think it rocks that you do what you do and give information about it willingly for real. :-)
Thanks, Bro.

I truly don't mean to offend. As I mentioned, there are so many stories I could share that I think many would find interesting and entertaining (some of them featuring me sticking my foot in my mouth in front of major Hollywood players).

But so many people get offended at the mere mention of "Hollywood" and my involvement that it's just not worth the aggravation.

Hell, I couldn't even give JJChiefan a few bar recommendations without getting shit!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:04 AM 05-24-2008
Dane, do people mock Lucas behind his back?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:10 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
Dane, do people mock Lucas behind his back?
Um, not that I've ever experienced. EVER.

A couple of years ago, I was at dinner with a group (I've detailed this before, so there's new "name-dropping" going on) and one of the guests is a now very well-known director of a huge "franchise". He asked me point-blank why I didn't see his huge Bruckheimer-produced movie in the movie theater and why I was waiting for the DVD release, which ironically, was the following Tuesday.

Simple, I told him.

You're not George Lucas.

He understood. Completely.

After that, we engaged in a 75 minute discussion about which under-35 should be cast for a huge blockbuster film.

THAT was entertaining and some of the names were shocking!
[Reply]
007 02:31 AM 05-24-2008
Yeah, it was fun. I never went to any of the tapings but my wife was a huge INXS fan and went to almost every show. Same with "Super Nova" (which sucked, but she still had fun).

By the way, JD was/is a drunk. That's why it didn't work with INXS. I mentioned that a few years ago but no one believed me.
Yeah, I didn't like their CD after it came out. Still was an entertaining show though. Had ZERO interest in Supernova though.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:40 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Guru:
Yeah, I didn't like their CD after it came out. Still was an entertaining show though. Had ZERO interest in Supernova though.
Supernova was over before it started.

The "band" picked Lucas before the show and recorded the tracks in the interim.

Jason Newstead "injured" himself before the "tour" actually began.

The whole thing was a ratings grab and a true farce.

The worst part of it being that Butch Walker only participated in one episode because it was such a joke (Butch is a GREAT songwriter and producer), though he was supposed to be on every episode and be involved in launching the band.

FWIW, don't be surprised when Butch Walker is named as the new lead singer of Velvet Revolver (that's the word on the street). He's a badass and would be an awesome fit (IMO).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:34 AM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Yes, I do understand. I understand the technology, and I completely understand the reason for using green over blue. But I also know that blue is still used A LOT, and that Lucas uses blue A LOT.

I'm also beginning to understand why so many around here dislike you. You have this air about yourself that you better than everyone else and you know more than everyone else.

That's the reason I said, "Gorsh, your so smart." You see, it was an attempt to vocalize how stupid you must think I am, so I used the term "gorsh" and used improper grammar when I did not use an apostrophe in "your".

And you proved my thoughts right when you immediately went into "I know more than you" mode and got all condescending. So pardon me if I just don't give a **** anymore.

You know as well as I do that we have always had pleasant discourse, shared a few PM's, and that I've never been one to bag on you... even going so far as to ask your opinion on things (which you said you would give and never did). Why do you always have to think because you're Mr. Hollywood that your shit don't stink? Guess what... it does, just like everyone else's.
One final note, Dickbag,

I've been a member of this forum since 2000. So people like you come and go (just like your "I'm leaving thread" Boo-hoo :-) ). But since I've been here I've NEVER:

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Phil's (Phobia) knowledge of home remodeling nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Skips knowledge of Direct TV nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Ill-Logical's (Jim's) knowledge of military contracts nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Frazod's (Tim's) knowledge of legal contracts nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Rain Man's (Kevin) knowledge of surveys or even questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Morphius or Simplex or DaFace's knowledge of computers or even questioned their authority said trade.

In closing, I'd like you to back up your bullshit statement. Especially since you "set a trap" for me.

I hope you feel good about yourself today.

Edit: And more more thing: If you're such a brilliant badass, why didn't you move your ass to the heart of the entertainment business? Scared?

I did it, so apparently, anyone can, right?
[Reply]
Fairplay 06:01 AM 05-24-2008
Sic'em Dane...Sic'em !
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:39 AM 05-24-2008
One final note, Dickbag,

I've been a member of this forum since 2000. So people like you come and go (just like your "I'm leaving thread" Boo-hoo :-) ). But since I've been here I've NEVER:

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Phil's (Phobia) knowledge of home remodeling nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Skips knowledge of Direct TV nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Ill-Logical's (Jim's) knowledge of military contracts nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Frazod's (Tim's) knowledge of legal contracts nor questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Rain Man's (Kevin) knowledge of surveys or even questioned his authority of said trade.

Proclaimed that I know more about or even questioned Morphius or Simplex or DaFace's knowledge of computers or even questioned their authority said trade.

In closing, I'd like you to back up your bullshit statement. Especially since you "set a trap" for me.

Edit: And more more thing: If you're such a brilliant badass, why didn't you move your ass to the heart of the entertainment business? Scared?

Damn Dane, that was a little harsh! I like FMB. Please dont drive him away from this board again!

Anyhow, keep up the entertaining "insider" stories. I know i personally enjoy reading about them.

I enjoyed watching "Supernova" but it was pretty obvious from the get go it was a money grab. Personally i really liked Toby Rand the best and thought he would have been a better fit than Lukas.

As for Lucas, i know its fashionable for everyone to bash him these days but.....

Him and Spielberg both are true innovators and pretty much invented the "Modern Hollywood Blockbuster" People will probably always give them a pass just for that. Im sure they have both made a ton of people very rich.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:32 AM 05-24-2008
One final note, Dickbag,

First, let's put one thing out to make sure you understand it: I never once questioned your knowledge of the industry - that's why I went to you a long ass time ago with a script that I wanted your feedback on. I wasn't look for you to produce it or anything... just wanted feedback. That's all.

I never once gave you grief for doing what you love in an incredibly difficult industry and found success. I'm happy for you, and there is not a hint of sarcasm in those feelings.

What I took issue with in this case, and in the ONLY other time I've responded negatively toward you, is the elitist bullshit that you may not portray in real life, but you certainly do here. And there's a distinct possibility that you never mean to give that vibe... maybe it's just in your posting style, I can't really put my finger on it.

I wouldn't DARE to believe or assert that I know more about either the business or the production than you. As a matter of point, I'll flat out state it right now.

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Dane McCloud knows more about the film and production industry than me... possibly more than anyone on this board.
But here's part of my problem: You think that no one else knows anything unless the live and work in Hollywood.

No, I've not worked as a professional in the industry, and I most certainly wouldn't say I'm a brilliant badass. I know there are a lot of things about my craft that needs work - I'm working to improve my direction; I'm an OK, but not great editor; I have a bit of a control issue, and I need to delegate authority better. But here's a fact: I have a degree in film, I've worked (professionally) as a commercial producer and I've made a feature film, and numerous shorts. The point is, Dane, I'm not without knowledge in the field.

Why did I not move to the heart of the entertainment industry? There were several reasons, including that I really did not care to make mainstream films. The films I like to make have a much more independent vibe, and I never felt that I "needed" to be in LA to do what I wanted to do. I know that must be hard to believe, but it's the truth. Another reason: about the time I started looking to move to a more "film-friendly" area (and KC actually isn't a bad area for indie film), I met my wife... love has a way of ****ing things up sometimes. Finally, and this may be the biggest and most important of them all, I found success elsewhere and my life took a different route. There was no fear involved... there was a lot of "not wanting to be part of the LA scene" involved.

As for my "I'm leaving thread"... perhaps it was being a dramatic. Maybe it was attention-whorish. Probably was. It wasn't intended as that, and I NEVER said I was leaving forever. I said I was taking a break. And the reason behind the thread and not just disappearing for a while, I wanted to make a point that the douchebags (you're not included in the group that made me take my hiatus) drove away a good, solid contributor.

And one final nugget... I think I kept things civil. You came out firing names. Nice job. And I laughed my ass off at "you're dead to me." Jesus.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05-24-2008, 05:14 PM
This message has been deleted by Deberg_1990.
Deberg_1990 05:22 PM 05-24-2008
Just got back from seeing it. Ill have to agree with GoTurd on almost all his points.

Its not a bad film by any means, but its an average Indy adventure.

IM not going to trash it too much, because it was very cool to see Indy back in action and punching out some Russkies.

Oh, and John Williams score was nonexistant compared to the first 3 films....WTF??
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:54 PM 05-24-2008
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Oh, and John Williams score was nonexistant compared to the first 3 films....WTF??
:-)
[Reply]
Page 21 of 37
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up