Media Center>House of the Dragon
Hammock Parties 01:11 PM 07-20-2022
OH YEAH!

All the dragons roar as one.
The #HOTD trailer has arrived. pic.twitter.com/ug7ESvpg8U

— House of the Dragon (@HouseofDragon) July 20, 2022

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:39 AM 08-23-2022
Who gives a shit about the quality, were there any good memes? S1 of GOT had the peak of GOT memes with Robert Baratheon.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 07:59 AM 08-23-2022
man I would hate to be some of you guys, way too critical about a tv show. Its supposed to be entertaining if you're not entertained don't watch it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:12 AM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
man I would hate to be some of you guys, way too critical about a tv show. Its supposed to be entertaining if you're not entertained don't watch it.
It had as many viewers as the original shows did in their heyday. First show so people were curious. Lets see what the numbers are and how far it drops off.

Some people in this thread overall are way way more negative than I've seen in other places.

The scene with the medieval C-section interspersed with the violence in the tournament will eventually be viewed as a classic moment.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:31 AM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
It had as many viewers as the original shows did in their heyday. First show so people were curious. Lets see what the numbers are and how far it drops off.

Some people in this thread overall are way way more negative than I've seen in other places.

The scene with the medieval C-section interspersed with the violence in the tournament will eventually be viewed as a classic moment.
I mean i'm not disagreeing with some of the takes in here just saying is all. I watched game of thrones when it first aired and thought it was awful. I then gave it another shot a couple years later and became hooked.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:18 AM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I mean i'm not disagreeing with some of the takes in here just saying is all. I watched game of thrones when it first aired and thought it was awful. I then gave it another shot a couple years later and became hooked.
The problem with the entire idea, at least as a book reader nerd, is that the Targaryens just aren't terribly interesting characters. I've mentioned it before in some other GoT thread, but they were just mediocre Valyrians who happened to not be in town when the city went 'splodey. They were rulers by happenstance and not terribly good at it.

Look at the characters in GoT. Obviously Tyrion carried a lot of the weight, but Varys, Bronn, Sam, Davos, Littlefinger, The Hound, Robert - these are all characters that bring a different feel to the show.

This looks like you're gonna have a bunch of stoic and entitled Targaryen's with a dash of Ned nobility and Stannis obstinance sprinkled in. Plus a mis-cast Daemon.

The Targaryen's just aren't as interesting as the dueling families with their histories and their different personalities shaped by time/geography, etc...

It just doesn't have the depth of characters to keep things interesting. It'll have an Arya and Sansa and Robb and probably even a Jon sort of character. But those guys, while they often drove the story, didn't make the story entertaining.

It was the ancillary characters and their personalities/actions that made GoT interesting.

And Ros. Man oh man did Esme Bianco keep my attention...
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:24 AM 08-23-2022
Sheeesh guys it's been 1 episode and ya'll talking about lack of character development already?

I mean damn, give the series some time to breath first.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:29 AM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Sheeesh guys it's been 1 episode and ya'll talking about lack of character development already?

I mean damn, give the series some time to breath first.
I'm saying they are honing in on a family that just isn't that interesting to begin with.

'Fire and Blood' is just a fairly run of the mill fantasy book - nothing much of note in there. Oh sure, there's a story arc and a climax, etc.... but it doesn't paint with the broad strokes that the ASOIF series did.

It's...fine. I don't see it as viable source material for some massive TV undertaking. That's why I have more hope for the Lord of the Rings prequel; the material to mine is just better.

But again - should they find a way to get Esme Bianco back in the show and keep her in various states of undress, it will cover for many sins.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 10:42 AM 08-23-2022
Joffrey's greatest crime
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:57 PM 08-23-2022
I thought it was awesome and was hoping it wouldn't end.

I'm easy to please but the CGI, sets, costume design, and acting all seemed good enough for me to stay immersed.

I think not having read Fire & Blood is actually helping. I have no fucking clue what's going to happen, just that it'll be bloody.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 07:28 PM 08-23-2022
That guy got his dick and balls cut iff
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 07:47 PM 08-23-2022
I thought the first episode was pretty good. I never finished the books but I did love the show until d&d had to figure out how to end it and completely ate shit and made everyone retarded. D&d having nothing to do with the new show is reassuring. I'm cautiously optimistic but I did lol at viserys telling rhaenyra about the white walkers and the long winter and how got handled that
[Reply]
kccrow 08:55 PM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Daemon is a freakin' awesome character.

And I just don't think Matt Smith is the right guy to cast for him at all.
How so? It's not like you get some overwhelmingly obvious description as to his looks/physique, etc.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
KCUnited 09:01 PM 08-23-2022
Don’t overthink it gents, we got brutality, tits, and dragons in E1.

Pretty much all I ever asked for in a GOT episode.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:19 PM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
How so? It's not like you get some overwhelmingly obvious description as to his looks/physique, etc.

Spoiler!
Someone I can buy as an athlete and who comes across as suave/charming more than conniving and underhanded. Matt Smith could play Baelish just fine but I’m just not buying him as Daemon.

I think you’re right - you can’t have someone massive here. Jai Courtney has probably bulked himself out of it, for instance (but at one point would’ve been a good choice).

Maybe Garrett Hedlund? Jensen Ackles? Alexander Ludwig? I dunno - not a casting director. But man, I’d have come up with literally a hundred names before I got to Matt Smith.

Or here’s a thought - and hear me out on this one - Esme Bianco. Just throwing it out there.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:31 PM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Someone I can buy as an athlete and who comes across as suave/charming more than conniving and underhanded. Matt Smith could play Baelish just fine but I’m just not buying him as Daemon.

I think you’re right - you can’t have someone massive here. Jai Courtney has probably bulked himself out of it, for instance (but at one point would’ve been a good choice).

Maybe Garrett Hedlund? Jensen Ackles? Alexander Ludwig? I dunno - not a casting director. But man, I’d have come up with literally a hundred names before I got to Matt Smith.

Or here’s a thought - and hear me out on this one - Esme Bianco. Just throwing it out there.
:-)

I think I might have actually shed a hear when she died.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 37
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up