Page 7 of 44
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
BigRedChief 05:38 PM 04-05-2018
Premieres Sept. 2nd

[Reply]
htismaqe 06:26 PM 02-24-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
They're doing a remake and many of us read the books and watched the original movies. Show some respect to the original if you're going to use the title.
The books went into great detail about individual characters but they didn't definitively delineate "race" other than human, dwarf, elf, etc.
[Reply]
Otter 06:50 PM 02-24-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The books went into great detail about individual characters but they didn't definitively delineate "race" other than human, dwarf, elf, etc.
Don't recall any references to sexual preference, being transgender, or any LGBTQ themes either.

Don't care about color of their skin. It's woke agenda pushing. Don't piggy back off the title if you're going to bastardize the lore.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 11:47 PM 02-24-2022
They're doing a remake and many of us read the books and watched the original movies. Show some respect to the original if you're going to use the title.

I read both Wiseguy and watched Goodfellas. One of my favorite stories of all time.

How about if someone remade the story with Robert De Niro's character as a cross dresser, Joe Pesci's character as a flaming gay (ala Richard Simmons), Henry Hill as a transvestite, and Big Paulie as a crippled bi-sexual.

Respect the lore if you're going to use the title or don't piggyback off it.
Imagine the outrage if they casted a white actor as Black Panther.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:48 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Imagine the outrage if they casted a white actor as Black Panther.
Is it really this hard for you to understand the difference?

Black Panther is the king of an interior African nation. The title has been passed down from son-to-son for the last thousand years. Being black is central to Black Panther's character.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:02 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Is it really this hard for you to understand the difference?

Black Panther is the king of an interior African nation. The title has been passed down from son-to-son for the last thousand years. Being black is central to Black Panther's character.
And being white is essential to many characters that have been changed over the years.

I saw a Frozen show at WDW. Kristoff was black. A black guy in 1700s Norway. Doesn't make any sense unless you plagued by white guilt :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:17 AM 02-25-2022
Don't recall any references to sexual preference, being transgender, or any LGBTQ themes either.

Don't care about color of their skin. It's woke agenda pushing. Don't piggy back off the title if you're going to bastardize the lore.
Like you said though there's no references to gender or sexual identity. If Tolkien didn't explicitly define those things, including race, then there's nothing "anti-canon" about it.

Don't get me wrong - I would prefer not to see agendas blatantly pushed by Hollywood. I don't want it rammed down my throat.

But in this instance, it seems to be much to do about nothing. Tolkien didn't say all humans were white or that elves couldn't be gay. He simply didn't mention it, so the argument that it "destroys immersion" just doesn't fly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:18 AM 02-25-2022
And being white is essential to many characters that have been changed over the years.

I saw a Frozen show at WDW. Kristoff was black. A black guy in 1700s Norway. Doesn't make any sense unless you plagued by white guilt :-)
So now we're going to talk about historical accuracy in FROZEN? Really?
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:26 AM 02-25-2022
So now we're going to talk about historical accuracy in FROZEN? Really?
Character accuracy, yes.

And Arendelle was clearly inspired by a certain time in history.

Like I said, this process is only allowed to cut one way.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:28 AM 02-25-2022
Character accuracy, yes.

And Arendelle was clearly inspired by a certain time in history.

Character accuracy? It's a fucking cartoon. Are we going to rail on Bugs Bunny because he talks now?

Seriously, I get that people don't like having shit thrust upon them 24x7 when they don't agree with it but this argument has completely jumped the shark.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:47 AM 02-25-2022
Character accuracy? It's a ****ing cartoon. Are we going to rail on Bugs Bunny because he talks now?

Seriously, I get that people don't like having shit thrust upon them 24x7 when they don't agree with it but this argument has completely jumped the shark.
Black Panther is a bleeping comic book.

Tell the Crying Virus that.

Picking and choosing is bizarre.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:49 AM 02-25-2022

The problem is that these arguments are counterproductive. If you really want to see less "agenda" in film and TV, digging in your heels and arguing about it only produces the same behavior in your opponents. Making it so black and white (pardon the unintended pun) just makes everybody more resolute in their stance, unwilling to compromise.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:52 AM 02-25-2022

Were magical snowmen gay in 1700s Norway?
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:54 AM 02-25-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Were magical snowmen gay in 1700s Norway?
As Olaf said in the movie, "Nope!"
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:59 AM 02-25-2022

Black Panther the comic book is based largely on African nations in the real world. So yeah...his argument is valid.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:01 AM 02-25-2022

Same with non-white characters. Do you honestly believe that there has never been a black, Middle Eastern, Asian character who was cast as a white person?

And LOL at getting butthurt over seeing a black guy play Kristoff in a play at Disney World.

This is just a case of you seeing what you want to see and ignoring what you don't to fit the narrative.

Whitewashing in film has been a thing for-fucking-ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewashing_in_film

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...o-wasnt-white/

They've been casting white people in roles of fictional and even real-life minorities for the last 100 years.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 44
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up