Page 32 of 44
« First < 222829303132 3334353642 > Last »
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
BigRedChief 05:38 PM 04-05-2018
Premieres Sept. 2nd

[Reply]
Buehler445 09:14 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I can't speak for everybody else, but it's a beautiful show. I will continue watching, because there are some aspects that I like.

I just think the writing, acting, characters, etc. are pretty much shit so far.

I mean, we're 5 episodes into a 8 episode first season, and virtually nothing has happened yet. It's just been boring, and that's coming from somebody who loves Tolkein's universe. I don't find myself caring about any of the characters yet.

I also don't think it helps that it's going on at the same time as HOTD, which is just a much better show overall. You can't help but compare the two.

It's like eating at a 5 star restaurant, then trying to turn around and eat some nice looking fast food. You can't help but notice the huge difference in quality, even if it looks good.
I'd switch that around.

ROP is very much like going to a fancy ass restaurant where all they give a shit about is plating, and you eat bland ass food that leaves you hungry. But hey, it was goddamned beautiful.

HOTD is closer to going to a good steakhouse with appropriate portions. The lighting isn't as good, the plate is about 50% as appealing, but goddamn, there is a good steak and potatoes on it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:18 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Okay, so I have a theory here.

People have gotten used to the LOTR series being in movie form (not so with the ASOIF series). So they have an expectation that this would have similar pacing to the movies.

But that's not what this is - it's a series. They can't run at breakneck pace.

I honestly don't think this is any slower than HOTD, it's just that expectations are different.

Oh...and this has Harfoot shit which is admittedly pretty lame. I can live without most of that. But let's also be real here - the Dany plot in GOTs was boring as hell 9 times out of 10 in its own right. The wall could be boring. Most of season 1 was of similar pacing to this season of ROP.

I dunno - I just don't understand the pacing complaints. It isn't any different than I expected from a series that is likely to be years long.
I'm not as worried about the pacing, I'm worried that I don't care about the characters.

I'm getting there with the southern hold outs. And Isildur got me there this episode. So it's coming.

Compare that with GOT, after 20 minutes, I was absolutely there for Sean Bean and Mark Addy. And the rest of it came.

But I'm much less harsh that many others here.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:21 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm not as worried about the pacing, I'm worried that I don't care about the characters.

I'm getting there with the southern hold outs. And Isildur got me there this episode. So it's coming.

Compare that with GOT, after 20 minutes, I was absolutely there for Sean Bean and Mark Addy. And the rest of it came.

But I'm much less harsh that many others here.
I've always loved Galadriel as a character. And man, Cate Blanchett just nailed that role so well. So I'm happy to see the development of the character on screen.

I'm just surprised by the 'nothing is happening' complaints. We've had several good set piece/action sequences. We've seen what happens to the folks that travel to the undying lands (something I've always been curious of). We've met Isildur and Elendil - freakin sweet! Durin is such a cool addition. We just learned where/how Mordor is going to be founded. We traveled to Numenor. Halbrand is an interesting character and with the introduction of his potential nobility, are we looking at a possible heel turn and Ringwraith?

We met baby alien Gandalf for crying out loud!

It ain't a Bourne movie, fellas. There's a shitload going on here. And again, I'm about halfway through what's been released so far.

I dunno - I like a lot of these characters. Galadriel and Elrond obviously. Isildur's rise and eventual fall. Gil-Galad plays a huge part going forward. Elendil is something of a badass in his own right. We know what happens to Durin eventually but we don't know how it all goes down. Bronwyn is just hot.

Arondir is a bit of a miss for me so far; too stoic (even for an elf) to be interesting. And yeah, the Harfoots just suck - I can't defend any time we spend with them. But like I said, I'm not gonna pretend like they're any worse than Bronn and Jamie going to Dorne or pretty much anything involving Dany.

It will be better if Bronwyn gets naked. That would be ideal.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:24 AM 09-27-2022
Finally finished episode 3 last night and was quickly reminded that it's a gorgeous show. Their world building might be some of the most impressive high fantasy CGI i've ever seen.

The show kinda reminds me of the Pirates of the Carribean franchise. Just light hearted, kinda goofy at times. It's family oriented and designed for both kids and adults alike.

So stop expecting it to be Game of Thrones. It was never going to have those sorts of tones. Just reading this thread it kind of feels like people expected to get the LOTR version of GOT or something.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'd switch that around.

ROP is very much like going to a fancy ass restaurant where all they give a shit about is plating, and you eat bland ass food that leaves you hungry. But hey, it was goddamned beautiful.

HOTD is closer to going to a good steakhouse with appropriate portions. The lighting isn't as good, the plate is about 50% as appealing, but goddamn, there is a good steak and potatoes on it.
HOTD feels more like Hereford House to me.

It's fine. It's a solid steak and a big ol' tater. It's simple calories but it's mostly coasting on reputation and a little bit of extravagance.

ROP is a premier French restaurant. It's French food so it's not for everyone; it's something of an acquired taste where you have to really be in the mood for exactly the oddities that come along with French cuisine. But man, if you like French food, you're REALLY gonna like this place.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:26 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Finally finished episode 3 last night and was quickly reminded that it's a gorgeous show. Their world building might be some of the most impressive high fantasy CGI i've ever seen.

The show kinda reminds me of the Pirates of the Carribean franchise. Just light hearted, kinda goofy at times. It's family oriented and designed for both kids and adults alike.

So stop expecting it to be Game of Thrones. It was never going to have those sorts of tones. Just reading this thread it kind of feels like people expected to get the LOTR version of GOT or something.
So you're saying Bronwyn won't get naked.

Fuck it - I'm out.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:31 AM 09-27-2022

I'm just surprised by the 'nothing is happening' complaints. We've had several good set piece/action sequences. We've seen what happens to the folks that travel to the undying lands (something I've always been curious of). We've met Isildur and Elendil - freakin sweet! Durin is such a cool addition. We just learned where/how Mordor is going to be founded. We traveled to Numenor. Halbrand is an interesting character and with the introduction of his potential nobility, are we looking at a possible heel turn and Ringwraith?
IDK WTF You're talking about, lol.

Because i never read the books are up on my LOTR lore game. I've seen the movies multiple times growing up, but not enough to know the names of the regions.

Maybe that's part of the problem for some. Maybe some of those cool little easter egg/ fan service type things that allow you to nerd out are completely non existent to a viewer like me who has no knowledge of the lore/regions etc.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:38 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
IDK WTF You're talking about, lol.

Because i never read the books are up on my LOTR lore game. I've seen the movies multiple times growing up, but not enough to know the names of the regions.

Maybe that's part of the problem for some. Maybe some of those cool little easter egg/ fan service type things that allow you to nerd out are completely non existent to a viewer like me who has no knowledge of the lore/regions etc.
Yeah - like I said, I really enjoyed The Silmarillion and some of the posthumous works release that really dive deep into Tolkien's world building.

And since GOT spent 7 seasons feeding you their mythology, it's easier to feel immersed in it. Especially when it's not NEARLY as sprawling as LOTR is, IMO.

There are just lower barriers to entry for HOTD. It's easier to hit the ground and immediately understand why some of this stuff is cool. Whereas in ROP, there simply wasn't hundreds of hours dedicated to the history. Even The Hobbit never really went far into that. For as much as Jackson did with the LOTR trilogy to establish history, he simply didn't have the time HBO did to lay it out for you.
[Reply]
Brock 01:51 PM 09-27-2022
I hate this show.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:04 PM 09-27-2022

It's fine. It's a solid steak and a big ol' tater. It's simple calories but it's mostly coasting on reputation and a little bit of extravagance.

ROP is a premier French restaurant. It's French food so it's not for everyone; it's something of an acquired taste where you have to really be in the mood for exactly the oddities that come along with French cuisine. But man, if you like French food, you're REALLY gonna like this place.
Fair enough.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 02:11 PM 09-27-2022

Shitty food is shitty, whether it's French or not.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:21 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Shitty food is shitty, whether it's French or not.
Well we can whip you up a good ol' sloppy Joe if you'd like.

I'm sure 2 and a Half Men is on TBS or somethin'...
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:02 PM 09-27-2022
Wheel of Time had some serious pacing issues, so it may be an Amazon thing.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:19 PM 09-27-2022
We just learned where/how Mordor is going to be founded.
Explain. I don’t understand any of whats going on as it rebates to previous movies.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:38 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Wheel of Time had some serious pacing issues, so it may be an Amazon thing.
I think that's a perfect analogue.

I HATED that show. Because I never read the books. I had no idea what the history was and couldn't bring myself to care.

I could see that being the case to those who are less interested in the depth of the universe here.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 44
« First < 222829303132 3334353642 > Last »
Up