ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 19
« First < 81415161718 19 >
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:36 AM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar:
I saw that. Honestly I'd rather spend a few hundred on a good setup for a budget guitar or bass than an expensive instrument. They can get stolen/damaged and I'd rather replace a cheaper instrument than an expensive one.

Tone is in your fingers anyway

The bass I play the most is an Ibanez SR500 which cost like $400 used. I put a new set of pickups in it and it's a dream bass for me. my most expensive instrument is my upright which was $2k and I doubt I'll ever spend that much on another instrument again
I have a couple of really expensive guitars but they are part of my collection, I don't really play them unless it's a special occasion.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 12:17 PM 09-27-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I have a couple of really expensive guitars but they are part of my collection, I don't really play them unless it's a special occasion.
yeah I don't want to buy something that is just case candy. like I understand people who do, a well made guitar by a good luthier is beautiful but I'm definitely of the mind that an instrument is a tool and I'm not going to spend thousands on what is essentially a music hammer lol

that being said if I did have like tens of thousands that I could just blow I'd buy a Wal, I've always loved those and got to play 1 once and it was amazing
[Reply]
Brock 01:55 PM 09-27-2022
Practice tips and routines you always do? Plateaued at boring intermediate bullshit big time here and in need of a brainquake.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 08:11 AM 09-29-2022
this is what I do, as both a warm up and to get me better acquainted with a scale i'm learning (all examples are in C major):

Play it up and down 2 octaves
Then play it 4 ascending notes at a time, (i.e. play C-D-E-F, then D-E-F-G, etc) up two octaves, then do the same thing going back down but stil ascending (i.e. C-D-E-F then B-C-D-E). Then the same thing but descending (C-B-A-G) going up and back down 2 octaves
Then groups of 3 ascending up and down 2 octaves (C-D-E-C, D-E-F-G)
Then groups of 3 descending up and and down 2 octaves (C-B-A-C, D-C-B-D) up and down two octaves
Then groups of 3 with a diatonic enclosure ascending up and down 2 octaves (C-E-D-C, D-F-E-D)
Then groups of 3 with diatonic enclosure descending up and down 2 octaves (C-B-A-C, D-C-B-D)
Then play diatonic 3rds ascending up and down 2 octaves (C-E-D-F-E-G-F-A-G-B-A-C-B-D)
Then play diatonic 3rds descending up and down 2 octaves (C-A-B-G-etc)
Then diatonic triads ascending up and down 2 octaves
Then diatonic triads descending up and down 2 octaves
then the diatonic 7th arpeggios ascending and descending up and down 2 octaves
Then the 2 harderst ones
Diatonic 7th arpeggios but you go up 1 arpeggio then back down the arpeggio starting on the next diatonic note (i.e. Cmaj7 up then down Dmin7 then up Emin 7) and then the same thing flipped (down Cmaj7 then up Dmin7)
Then lastly diatonic 7th arpeggios up and then you play the scale back down (i.e. Cmaj7 up then play scale notes back down until you get to D and then you'd play Dmin7)
Do this in every key around the circle of fifths/fourths

also try playing a song but like playing it all with triads and limit yourself to only playing in one position. you'll end up basically having to play the inversions (which will sound good because of voice leading)
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 08:16 AM 09-29-2022
Also if you learn a new lick practice it using different chord qualities so like if a lick is played over like C7, make it so it's diatonic to Cmaj7, Cmin7, Cmin7b5, C7b9 etc
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:19 PM 12-25-2022
OK, while I've had many MANY years of being a band parent I've never played any instrument (sans the radio!!!), can't read music, but I'm decided that in 2023 I'm going to try to learn to play the guitar. I'm closer to 60 than 50 years old (not that it matters), but looking for thoughts on how to get started.

Electric vs acoustic? (I've read that electric is considered easier to learn on, but would value CP's opinion)

What should I expect to pay to get started?

Will family members shoot me if I really suck?

Any other advice for somebody in my position.

Thanks in advance. Even for the usual CP insults... :-)
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 11:00 AM 12-27-2022
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
OK, while I've had many MANY years of being a band parent I've never played any instrument (sans the radio!!!), can't read music, but I'm decided that in 2023 I'm going to try to learn to play the guitar. I'm closer to 60 than 50 years old (not that it matters), but looking for thoughts on how to get started.

Electric vs acoustic? (I've read that electric is considered easier to learn on, but would value CP's opinion)

What should I expect to pay to get started?

Will family members shoot me if I really suck?

Any other advice for somebody in my position.

Thanks in advance. Even for the usual CP insults... :-)
it's mostly up to you, I don't really play guitar so I can't say which is easier but I think the general consensus is the electric can be easier.

I'd recommend going to an actual guitar shop (like for instance Muddy River Guitars in KC) and telling them you're a noob looking to buy their first guitar and they should be able to help you pick the right one. A beginner guitar can be found for less than $200 but if you go electric you'll also need a small amp.

My advice, play everyday even if you don't want to. Consistency is the most important thing, and even if you just pick up your guitar and play a few chords and put it down, that counts. some days you won't have the time or energy to play much and that's okay, just pick up the instrument and pluck out a few chords or a riff, get into the habit of playing everyday and then you will and in a few months you'll be amazed at your progression.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:52 PM 12-27-2022
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar:
it's mostly up to you, I don't really play guitar so I can't say which is easier but I think the general consensus is the electric can be easier.

I'd recommend going to an actual guitar shop (like for instance Muddy River Guitars in KC) and telling them you're a noob looking to buy their first guitar and they should be able to help you pick the right one. A beginner guitar can be found for less than $200 but if you go electric you'll also need a small amp.

My advice, play everyday even if you don't want to. Consistency is the most important thing, and even if you just pick up your guitar and play a few chords and put it down, that counts. some days you won't have the time or energy to play much and that's okay, just pick up the instrument and pluck out a few chords or a riff, get into the habit of playing everyday and then you will and in a few months you'll be amazed at your progression.
Well I went the route of buying one from a former SCUBA student who I talked to the other night during the Chiefs game at the local watering hole, but like you say his recommendation is #1a get lessons, #1b Practice. He had 8 guitars so it was all fun. And no, he said he's not in the teaching business... Pffffft, musicians are more finicky that divers!

So my plan right now is to look for local lessons. Along with other "guitar lesson" options, we actually have a "School of Rock" here in Lees Summit that I might try, but I'm also going to hit-up the High School band director for any recommendations he might have for some kid looking to make a few bucks who he thinks could teach and old fart like me, who cant even read music, how to play. He's a pretty close friend to the family as we've been pretty active band parents for the 4-years-each my sons have spent under his direction, so what the hell, if he knows of a kid, or somebody, why not.

But I've gone to a couple of the parking lot shows that the School of Rock does, and it's pretty freaking cool.

But thanks for the reply, and let's hope my guitar playing is better than my singing...
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 03:38 PM 12-27-2022
getting in person lessons is a great idea especially when you're starting out. you won't have to spend your first month unlearning bad habits you taught yourself
[Reply]
srvy 08:11 PM 12-27-2022
KC Music Academy owners Mark Ballard up in Platte Woods Mo went to school with him owns the place he has some great teachers. Probably further than you need to go. You may have seen him in Bands around the KC area.

https://www.kcmusicacademy.com/
https://www.facebook.com/kcmusicacademy/mentions
https://www.facebook.com/kcmusicacad...80894798984895

[Reply]
srvy 08:33 PM 12-27-2022
There are quite a lot of youtube video lessons out there also. If you buy a Fender or Squire guitar you get free web based lessons. I think I was 8 and my next oldest brother was 10 we got Sears or Monkey Wards guitars for Christmas. He got lessons from Jenkins Music and I pick his brain. Never had a lesson and thats why he is good at guitar and I am still learning and suck still. Oh well still love to pick at it off and on. It takes a dedication that I really don't excel at with many irons in the fire. Good luck enjoy the axe.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:20 PM 12-27-2022
I've been "playing" with the YouTube videos, but, (since it was close to the bar where poker night happened) I stopped into School of Rock and have my first free lesson this week.

Sort of exciting trying something so far from my comfort zone (like diving). I'm 100% not sure where this is going, but music is certainly something I've been around but never really even dipped my toe in the water.

What the hell, what's the worst that could happen? If I suck, I suck... And if I suck, the High School gets a guitar and amp... :-)
[Reply]
srvy 10:56 PM 12-27-2022
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I've been "playing" with the YouTube videos, but, (since it was close to the bar where poker night happened) I stopped into School of Rock and have my first free lesson this week.

Sort of exciting trying something so far from my comfort zone (like diving). I'm 100% not sure where this is going, but music is certainly something I've been around but never really even dipped my toe in the water.

What the hell, what's the worst that could happen? If I suck, I suck... And if I suck, the High School gets a guitar and amp... :-)
Hey good luck it's an adventure.

What sort of guitar are you starting out with?

It could be the first of many. G.A.S is areal thing and can be a real bitch.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:05 AM 12-28-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
Hey good luck it's an adventure.

What sort of guitar are you starting out with?

It could be the first of many. G.A.S is areal thing and can be a real bitch.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
It's an Ibanez Gio guitar and Ibanez IBZ10 Amp. He said, and from what I read, is a fine starter setup.

I've got one of those clip-on tuner deals on the way, but I'm pretty sure the guitar's tuning isn't what makes the noise I'm producing suck... I tried the 5th fret deal but I'm not sure my ear is good enough to know if it's right. Once the tuner comes in I'll do that 5th feet deal and then see just how far off my ears really are.. :-)

And I 100% understand how the 1st is just the first... My 3rd garage looks like a SCUBA shop as "yeah, I want two of those too" seems to happen a lot..

And thank you, I plan to have fun with it.

[Reply]
Molitoth 01:31 PM 12-28-2022
I highly recommend Rocksmith. It makes learning FUN... which is the key, because you will keep coming back.

If you get it for PC (Through STEAM) there are databases out there which will allow you to download pretty much any song you would ever want.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 19
« First < 81415161718 19 >
Up