ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 19
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
talcool1 01:57 PM 03-05-2002
if cash is an issue i would pass on the electric, don't forget you will also have the cost of an amp and patch cords. find yourself a good acoustic and learn basic cord structure on it first. when you can play it well, then get your electric and you'll be able to smoke that sucker. hit some pawn shops and see what you can find and oh yea practice practice practice.
[Reply]
ChiTown 02:08 PM 03-05-2002
Try an old Lotus or something like that. If money is an issue, stay away from the Fender; you'll just be taunting yourself.:-)

But, talcool is right. Initially, buy yourself a decent acoustic guitar and just start learning the chords. After you have gotten the feel for the chords, start trying to play notes (that's really no fun if you are teaching yourself). Mastering the note playing is the key to becoming a good guitarist, IMO

If you have a good ear, play some CD's with good guitar rif's that you like and try and play them back. This, IMO, is the best way to teach yourself how to play. Learn the basic's, try and play back what you hear, and practice. Once you get good at that, treat yourself to nice Fender Strat and start wailing on that bad boy:-)
[Reply]
Chiefnj 02:09 PM 03-05-2002
Fender makes some fine inexpensive guitars that will fit your needs. You can get a small, cheap amp for $50.

Go to a guitar store and strum some of the guitars that are in your price range. Pick one that feels comfortable in your hands. The neck of the guitar differs with each make, some may be too fat for your liking, you just might not feel comfortable with it.
[Reply]
Rausch 02:25 PM 03-05-2002
I just bought an el-cheapo out of a Sears catalog. Actually, a USED el-cheapo that someone else bought from Sears and then later sold to me.

I know three cords. I don't need a frek'n fender....:-)
[Reply]
nmt1 02:30 PM 03-05-2002
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been taking private lessons for a month and a half. I know some chords and am working with a minor pentatonic scale right now. Still have trouble switching between the chords but it's coming along.
I'm currently practicing on an acoustic with nylon strings. The fretboard is pretty wide which is good for me b/c my fingers are thick. My teacher has told me basically the same thing about learing on the acoustic. I want to wail so bad though. Money isn't really that bad, just can't afford to spend a grand. I guess my question is would it be worth it to get a Fender or Ibanez for a couple of hundred bucks?
[Reply]
headsnap 03:08 PM 03-05-2002
I have been giggin' out steady now for the last 11 years and my favorite guitar can be had for $149 brand new! :-)

I highly recommend this electric, it came perfectly set-up out of the box. I currently have 9 guitars, (1 seagull acoustic, 2 strats, 1 jackson, 1 kramer, 1 samic, 1 charvel, 1 ibanez, 1 danelectro) and the Dano is by far my favorite. the style is similar to that of the Mosrite guitar that the Ventures used in the 60's. A great range of tone with the pickups, (they actually sound more 'strat' than my real ones:-) )

check it out
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/45939

nmt, I need to take care of the kids, I will get back with you on this...
[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:13 PM 03-05-2002
The Hamer models used to be good equipment at an affordable price, but that was 6 or 7 years back. It all may have changed by now.
[Reply]
headsnap 03:16 PM 03-05-2002
also, check out Musicians Friend scratch-n-dents...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...o/doc_id=79685
[Reply]
Pennywise 03:17 PM 03-05-2002
Check out www.musiciansfriend.com

Its a good place to start and a great catalog to have next to the shitter...

You can call them also at 1-800-776-7173 (I think)...and they will mail you one in like 2 days or something.

Get the free catalog and shop around. Its a great company. This will give you a feel for whats out there blah blah and how much shite costs. Compare any music store prices to theirs before you buy. ALWAYS chew the store down. Even if its a buck. NEVER PAY WHAT IS ON THE TAG! Make them earn it and do not get intimidated.

Ibanez's are pretty decent guitars. I have an RG470. You can get a Fender cheap if you shop around. I agree that some of them are really high, but the Mexican-Squire strats are cool and sound decent enough. Its the same parts-components (wood and all I think) as the American strats, they are just assembled in Mexico. Ephiphones are Gibson copies if you want a cheaper les paul copy-clone. Carvin also has a good catalog and you can assemble your own or talk with a tech. www.carvin.com

Check out some pawnshops also...Go in search of the good deal my friend.

An amp and effects are also issues...Pedals, or a processor and all that other shite. You got to have distortion dude. ESPECIALLY if you are a beginner. Distortion is a must. Once again, check MusiciansFriend or "the friend" as my buddy says.

I was reading a brochure about Line 6 amps today while waiting for a haircut. They are an amp and effect processor all rolled into one. The Port and POD thing are cool. The whole amp simulation-emulation thing.

www.line6.com
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:39 PM 03-05-2002
A cheap acoustic is probably the most cost effective (and endearing to neighbors)way to go. There are a lot of acoustics that are decent in the $200 range- I'd recommend the entry level Yamahas for that, they seem to be the best quality at that level. Also the Takamine's.
Don't forget to also purchase a cheap tuner-that's critical. If you can't tune the thing, everything sounds awful and then you'll be too demoralized to practice.
However, if'n you want to ROCK, I'd recommend the Squier series by Fender, they're decent and cheap-I think they make a package deal with amp and guitar and cord for like $230 or so.
Hope that helps.
Chris
who, by the way, is a pro.
[Reply]
Bwana 04:52 PM 03-05-2002
I play a mean "air guitar." Does that count?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:18 PM 03-05-2002
How much money do you want to spend, and what kind of music are you wanting to play? If you want to play rock, jazz or alt rock, buying an acoustic guitar is the wrong decision, because as a beginner, you won't get the satisfaction of playing that type of music and you may get bored and not pursue it any further. I wouldn't suggest buying a guitar/amp combo from a catalog or over the internet because you won't know how they feel, sound or look, and they are never setup (action, frets, etc). My recommendation would be to go to a Guitar Center, Sam Ash or Mars with a specific set price in mind, then find something you're comfortable with in your price range. Good luck!
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:20 PM 03-05-2002
My first guitar I paid $70 for at Sears. You don't need anything special when you're first learning, but make sure it FEELS good in your hand...

I personally play custom-made Washburn BT8...
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 08:37 PM 03-05-2002

I'm not a bonafide guitar player but I've perused some local stores and asked questions. the Ibanez AX series seems to be one of the best deals goin in the market of entry level guitars. Great looks, competitive price. If you live in a small town or city, you may want to do some research on prices before you consider makin' a purchase in a mom & pop store. If you can shop at a major chain store like Guitar Center they will likely have some great deals. Since I live in a town of 10,000 . . . I do most of my major instrument purchases through mail order or online. Subsequently, I've saved hunderds of dollars

One of my personal faves is Interstate Musican Supply out of Milwaukee.
www.interstatemusic.com

good luck . . . when you decide to take up drums, give me a holler
[Reply]
Page 1 of 19
1 234511 > Last »
Up