ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 16
« First < 41011121314 1516 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign DT Danny Shelton
Dante84 02:00 PM 08-09-2022

Chiefs and veteran free-agent defensive tackle Danny Shelton have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, per his agents @DrewJRosenhaus and @RyanMatha. Shelton was most recently with the Giants.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 9, 2022

[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:09 AM 08-16-2022
I know nothing of this guy and obviously PFF rankings have their flaws. But the guy has a very clear drop off the last couple seasons from a run defense perspective.

2021 43.4
2020 44.9
2019 68.2
2018 72.8
2017 78.7
2016 83.7
2015 66.1

His pass rush grades in contrast have been pretty steady.
[Reply]
O.city 07:30 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
The problem is the DL doesn't really have an identity. Chris Jones is an animal, yes, and I'm predicting big things for Karlaftis as early as this season, but they're still going to have problems.

You're still going to be able to run the ball on them. Frank Clark is probably going to keep ****ing sucking. The big plays we do see out of them won't happen often enough to make up for their continued inconsistency at stopping the run and making life difficult for opposing OLs.

If Frank Clark was an actual stud, and Nnadi were just a little tougher to push around, then yes, absolutely, we'd be talking.

I'm not predicting them to be as bad as last year. I think they'll be improved. But they're going to have to prove to me that they're actually any good. Until then, it's probably going to be much of the same that we've seen these past several years.

Maybe they'll have a 4-5 game stretch like last year where they look pretty good.
Alot of this is gonna come down to guys like Wharton and Saunders. If they're good, the DL will eb much improved. If not, well, we may have some issues.

I'm not sure why they didn't spend more resources on a DT.
[Reply]
Skyy God 07:42 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Alot of this is gonna come down to guys like Wharton and Saunders. If they're good, the DL will eb much improved. If not, well, we may have some issues.

Disagree with your premise.

The gave Jones a massive contract and spent 2 3rds on Nnadi and Saunders.
[Reply]
wazu 07:43 AM 08-16-2022
I want this guy to be good mainly because it would be really fun to watch.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:47 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:

Saunders hasn't put it together in 3 years so I have tempered expectations. Wharton is pretty much a rotational piece, primarily as a pass rusher, and likely will never be anything else. Stallworth is a similar guy, just a tad bit more stout.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 07:48 AM 08-16-2022
I wish they would have drafted this guy instead of Cook. Now they’re forced to sign journeymen like Shelton.

These four clips show exactly why so many were ecstatic when Travis Jones fell to the Ravens in the third round pic.twitter.com/o4L88ZOzdC

— Kevin Oestreicher (@koestreicher34) August 14, 2022

[Reply]
O.city 08:22 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Saunders hasn't put it together in 3 years so I have tempered expectations. Wharton is pretty much a rotational piece, primarily as a pass rusher, and likely will never be anything else. Stallworth is a similar guy, just a tad bit more stout.
Saunders has had some injuries so I'll give him a bit of a break there, but you aren't wrong.

Wharton has never really impressed me but some around here think he's got potential
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:38 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I wish they would have drafted this guy instead of Cook. Now they’re forced to sign journeymen like Shelton.

Again, like the Pickens/Moore thing, if Cook becomes a great safety, then Travis Jones is irrelevant.

We needed a DT? We need great players. Period. If Cook becomes a great player, then whatever. The Chiefs can’t draft all the great players every year
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:41 AM 08-16-2022
Cook looked like a human missile on that kickoff, I'm excited to see more of him
[Reply]
PHOG 09:02 AM 08-16-2022
Looks as if Feast Mode is his nickname? :-)

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/ShelDa01.htm
[Reply]
JPH83 09:55 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:

Yep, this was the pick for me. Cook's fine but this was the miss imo.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:33 AM 08-16-2022
Dude....I wanted Travis Jones as much as everyone else BUT....

We're talking about a rotational DT over a 3rd safety....when Spags loves his 3rd safety AND we just went through watching Sorensen suck ass for years.

If Cooks turns out to be at least competent....it was the right pick.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:45 AM 08-16-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Dude....I wanted Travis Jones as much as everyone else BUT....

We're talking about a rotational DT over a 3rd safety....when Spags loves his 3rd safety AND we just went through watching Sorensen suck ass for years.

If Cooks turns out to be at least competent....it was the right pick.
But long-term Chris Jones is gonna be an issue as soon as next season and Nnadi is looking more and more JAG every year.

Now if Cook can backfill for Thornhill and be a starting, every down safety for the next few years - okay, the pick is fine.

But if Travis Jones ends up being a plus starting DT and Cook ends up as a downhill thumper sort of 3rd safety - it's a miss.

There's just a lot of story left to be written here. And man, there was a LOT of talent on the board when we took Cook. Sure, he was the 4th guy we selected, but the guy's still a 2nd round pick. "At least competent" really shouldn't be seen as the bar for success here.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:49 AM 08-16-2022
:-)

#Chiefs Danny Shelton: “Shit honestly I was just tired of flying around…It was between Jags and Chiefs. I had to go Chiefs.” pic.twitter.com/SEMjNDpDwU

— Aaron Ladd (@aaronladd0) August 16, 2022

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:53 AM 08-16-2022
There's just no way that guy makes it to 45, right?
[Reply]
Page 14 of 16
« First < 41011121314 1516 >
Up