ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
synthesis2 08:15 AM 03-04-2022
Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
[Reply]
HemiEd 11:51 AM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm starting to be a little worried about how much progress Chinese EV companies are making. We'll probably end up regulating them out of the U.S., but they could take a real bite out of U.S. manufacturers' global car sales. Based on sales trends outside the U.S., other countries don't seem to have as many aversions to EVs as U.S. consumers do (some of which makes sense given how much more spread apart people are here).
Your concerns seem well founded.

Their idea/procedure of the quick change batteries is a pretty big deal in my opinion.
I posted an article on it a while back, where it is similar to our system exchanging propane bottles. It is done quickly, similar to filling up with gas for ICE cars.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:02 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Your concerns seem well founded.

Their idea/procedure of the quick change batteries is a pretty big deal in my opinion.
I posted an article on it a while back, where it is similar to our system exchanging propane bottles. It is done quickly, similar to filling up with gas for ICE cars.
That plus just overall cost. You can point to a lot of things for the "slowdown" of EV sales (which, to be clear, is more of a slowdown in growth than a slowdown in actual YOY sales), but the biggest factor seems to be that EVs are still pretty damn expensive compared to their ICE counterparts. Meanwhile, BYD is putting out new cars that cost around $10k (albeit with severely limited range at that price).
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:36 PM 04-16-2024
Tesla's Internal Shake-Up

Tesla is planning to lay off over 14,000 employees—more than 10% of its global workforce—in its first large-scale layoffs in over a year, according to an internal memo this week. The company's electric vehicle sales have begun to stagnate amid a decline in demand and increased competition from Chinese carmakers. Tesla's shares fell over 5% on the news.

CEO Elon Musk said the layoffs are part of cost-cutting measures as the company prepares for its next phase of growth. Also yesterday, two top executives at Tesla announced their departure: engineering executive Drew Baglino and policy and outreach executive Rohan Patel.

The shake-up comes after Tesla earlier this month posted its first year-over-year decline in quarterly sales since 2020. The report came after China’s BYD briefly overtook Tesla as the world's top seller of battery electric vehicles last year. In January, Musk said Tesla would soon release a cheaper, $25K model rumored to compete with BYD. That plan has now reportedly been tabled, with Musk prioritizing the debut of a robotaxi fleet in August
Oof. That's a really good way to get unionized.
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:37 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
Oof. That's a really good way to get unionized.
I didn't realize they were ionized.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:47 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That plus just overall cost. You can point to a lot of things for the "slowdown" of EV sales (which, to be clear, is more of a slowdown in growth than a slowdown in actual YOY sales), but the biggest factor seems to be that EVs are still pretty damn expensive compared to their ICE counterparts. Meanwhile, BYD is putting out new cars that cost around $10k (albeit with severely limited range at that price).
Offering one at $25k sounds like a good move in the right direction.

Back to the battery exchange thing.

I remember when I would not do that with propane tanks because my cylinders were pretty new (they have a date code) and didn't want an old piece of crap in exchange.

For the last few years I could care less and only care about it being full. The exchange is fully automated.

I can see that same attitude carrying over to EV batteries. You pull into a quick change place and snap, $20 and they swap in a fully charged battery in a few minutes.

This would make longer trips possible again without long charging delays.
[Reply]
notorious 06:17 PM 04-16-2024
Offering one at $25k sounds like a good move in the right direction.

Back to the battery exchange thing.

I remember when I would not do that with propane tanks because my cylinders were pretty new (they have a date code) and didn't want an old piece of crap in exchange.

For the last few years I could care less and only care about it being full. The exchange is fully automated.

I can see that same attitude carrying over to EV batteries. You pull into a quick change place and snap, $20 and they swap in a fully charged battery in a few minutes.

This would make longer trips possible again without long charging delays.
It's the only way it will work.

Can't overcome the physics of charging with the current way of doing things.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:42 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by notorious:
It's the only way it will work.

Can't overcome the physics of charging with the current way of doing things.
I agree, it makes so much sense.

If you are doing a regular daily commute the current system seems adequate, but anything too much beyond that seems like a gamble.

Read a story the other day about a guy that rented a Hyundai EV if I remember correctly. He had a heck of a time on a fairly short trip and the charger plug would not fit his vehicle once he found a place to charge it.

I would think they would make that universal, like the gas nozzles.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:11 PM 04-16-2024

If you are doing a regular daily commute the current system seems adequate, but anything too much beyond that seems like a gamble.

Read a story the other day about a guy that rented a Hyundai EV if I remember correctly. He had a heck of a time on a fairly short trip and the charger plug would not fit his vehicle once he found a place to charge it.

Who is they?

:-)

Elon Musk is going to play nice?

The Federal Government is going to dictate a standard?
[Reply]
HemiEd 04:45 AM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Who is they?

:-)

Elon Musk is going to play nice?

The Federal Government is going to dictate a standard?
Yes
[Reply]
RedRaider56 05:53 AM 04-17-2024

Most EV cars being sold in the US are now moving to the Tesla charging plug style. Today, customers are getting an adapter with their car, which will allow them to use Tesla charging stations.

In 2025, Ford & GM cars will be able to use the Tesla charging stations without an adapter.

If you're looking to buy an EV, hold off until 2025 if you can. Charging Life will get easier.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:30 AM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Most EV cars being sold in the US are now moving to the Tesla charging plug style. Today, customers are getting an adapter with their car, which will allow them to use Tesla charging stations.

In 2025, Ford & GM cars will be able to use the Tesla charging stations without an adapter.

If you're looking to buy an EV, hold off until 2025 if you can. Charging Life will get easier.
That sounds like progress!

In a few years the infrastructure will probably be refined much more than it is today.

I don't see an EV in my future as buying a Hybrid was a giant leap for me but it has been very rewarding with 52 mpg.

I would like to drive one someday though.
[Reply]
Superbowltrashcan 07:49 AM 04-17-2024
I’m looking into a used EV for my new commute that is driving my daughter to school and home then picking up after school and back home. About a 110 miles altogether each day. Private school hence the driving distance. Majority is along the K-10 corridor. What might be an advisable, reliable choice that is gonna handle 60K on the odometer over the next three years? I’d prefer to make use of the used EV tax credit so under $25K. So far there are a few Mach E RWD Selects and a couple of the base model Ioniq 5 I’ve driven as well. I’ll likely third party warranty through Xclerate Auto that does them mostly on Teslas but other makers as well. I’m having a Level 2 charger Putin the garage and we have a 3rd vehicle for longer road trips if need be. Thanks in advance for all the CP EV wisdom…
[Reply]
MagicHef 09:37 AM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan:
I’m looking into a used EV for my new commute that is driving my daughter to school and home then picking up after school and back home. About a 110 miles altogether each day. Private school hence the driving distance. Majority is along the K-10 corridor. What might be an advisable, reliable choice that is gonna handle 60K on the odometer over the next three years? I’d prefer to make use of the used EV tax credit so under $25K. So far there are a few Mach E RWD Selects and a couple of the base model Ioniq 5 I’ve driven as well. I’ll likely third party warranty through Xclerate Auto that does them mostly on Teslas but other makers as well. I’m having a Level 2 charger Putin the garage and we have a 3rd vehicle for longer road trips if need be. Thanks in advance for all the CP EV wisdom…
If you're doing 110 miles each day, I'd suggest looking at models with at least double that range, as the range listed is usually optimistic and some days your commute may get longer due to extra errands, traffic, etc. I'd say that you should drive a couple different models and see what you like.

I went with a 2022 Tesla Model 3 and it's fantastic. I got a crazy deal ($19k after tax credit) because Hertz bought a huge number of them 2 years ago and recently decided to dump them, so the market got flooded. There's probably still some out there.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 09:42 AM 04-17-2024
We rented a Mach-E on a recent trip to Austin. It was insanely fun to drive. First time I actually started thinking about buying electric.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:50 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
We rented a Mach-E on a recent trip to Austin. It was insanely fun to drive. First time I actually started thinking about buying electric.
What did you find so different about it and most fun? Acceleration? Quietness?
[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Up