ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 214 of 221
« First < 114164204210211212213214 215216217218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:36 PM 06-20-2023
Just tie a little weight to your dynamite
[Reply]
booger 02:38 PM 06-20-2023
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Just tie a little weight to your dynamite
I kinda like this idea. Gonna need more buckets and a bigger net
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:39 PM 06-20-2023
And where in Iowa?
[Reply]
booger 02:43 PM 06-20-2023
And where in Iowa?
I can’t give you an exact location I will just say west central IA and some in the NW part
[Reply]
booger 02:44 PM 06-20-2023
There’s a bunch of fuckin corn and soybeans everywhere I look
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:46 PM 06-20-2023
Originally Posted by booger:
There’s a bunch of ****in corn and soybeans everywhere I look
Not looking for a specific. yeah, that narrows it down :-). Good luck!
[Reply]
booger 02:50 PM 06-20-2023
Not looking for a specific. yeah, that narrows it down :-). Good luck!
:-) Thanks! One large pond up in Webster County I heard theDNR stocked with rainbow trout
[Reply]
booger 02:52 PM 06-20-2023
So now I got to study up on live bait and lures they like. And no way am I going to try fly fishing for them. Just use my walleye rod and reel set ups
[Reply]
loochy 02:59 PM 06-20-2023
So now I got to study up on live bait and lures they like. And no way am I going to try fly fishing for them. Just use my walleye rod and reel set ups

minnows, crappie jigs, and small plastic grubs on a jighead.....all on a bobber at the appropriate depth
[Reply]
booger 03:02 PM 06-20-2023
Originally Posted by loochy:
minnows, crappie jigs, and small plastic grubs on a jighead.....all on a bobber at the appropriate depth
How deep do rainbows travel? My best guess in more of a pond setting would be mid level rather than right off the bottom and probably close by to the current?
[Reply]
loochy 03:07 PM 06-20-2023
How deep do rainbows travel? My best guess in more of a pond setting would be mid level rather than right off the bottom and probably close by to the current?

Oh, wait, woah, i thought you meant crappie!

For stocked rainbows in a pond, you fish power bait on the bottom with a slip sinker setup. Give about 2 or 3 feet between the sinker and the hook. Use a lighter leader between the swivel and hook....maybe 4 lb. Trout can be line shy (but stockers can be pretty dumb).

You might be able to get one with a berkley trout worm twitched along the bottom with the same setup, but I'd go with the power bait.

It's starting to get a bit hot for trout in a pond (unless it's spring fed), so they'll be in the deepest water.

If there is current, they'll probably be in the slack water right along side the current, waiting for food to drift in. If there is any kind of fountain or waterfall or something that makes bubbles and aerates the water, try there too (trout need highly oxygenated water).
[Reply]
booger 03:14 PM 06-20-2023
Oh, wait, woah, i thought you meant crappie!

For stocked rainbows in a pond, you fish power bait on the bottom with a slip sinker setup. Give about 2 or 3 feet between the sinker and the hook.

You might be able to get one with a berkley trout worm twitched along the bottom with the same setup, but I'd go with the power bait,
Yeah I caught plenty of crappie over the years. Love Berkeley products. Most my rods are Berkeley lightning. Good plastic baits too. So the little nibblets in a jar like the ones for crappie they have that for trout? Rainbow go for any live bait?
[Reply]
loochy 03:18 PM 06-20-2023
Yeah I caught plenty of crappie over the years. Love Berkeley products. Most my rods are Berkeley lightning. Good plastic baits too. So the little nibblets in a jar like the ones for crappie they have that for trout? Rainbow go for any live bait?

Yeah, they'll be little bright colored marshmallow looking things, or they come in the same kind of jar as a kind formidable foam paste. The powerbait floats, so that's why you rig it with a slip sinker on the bottom and give it a few feet as leader so it comes up slightly off the bottom.

With stockers, by far the best bet is power bait or trout nibbles. The powerbait is cheating with it's engineered scent and taste, and the trout nibbles are just like the little pellets they feed them at the hatchery. They may go for nightcrawlers, but powerbait is probably better for stockers.

Use a smallish single hook (not a treble for trout!), maybe between size 6 and 10

[Reply]
booger 03:52 PM 06-20-2023
Yeah, they'll be little bright colored marshmallow looking things, or they come in the same kind of jar as a kind formidable foam paste. The powerbait floats, so that's why you rig it with a slip sinker on the bottom and give it a few feet as leader so it comes up slightly off the bottom.

With stockers, by far the best bet is power bait or trout nibbles. The powerbait is cheating with it's engineered scent and taste, and the trout nibbles are just like the little pellets they feed them at the hatchery. They may go for nightcrawlers, but powerbait is probably better for stockers.

Use a smallish single hook (not a treble for trout!), maybe between size 6 and 10

That will give me a good start. Thanks bud!
[Reply]
Graystoke 04:08 PM 06-20-2023
There aren’t going to be any trout in that lake this time of year. IDNR stocks those for winter only and the fishermen take them.
I would be very surprised if there was carryover. That water will be way to warm.
[Reply]
Page 214 of 221
« First < 114164204210211212213214 215216217218 > Last »
Up