ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 382
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
irishjayhawk 09:03 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by Miles:
Finally getting around to trying some Boulevard Tank 7 tonight. I have had several of the Smokestack Series and for the most part loved them. Tank 7 is great stuff and I enjoyed it as much as their tripel and quad.

The guy at the beer store was also raving about Lost Abbey Red Barn but the Tank 7 was on sale for $7 so I went with it. Probably try the Lost Abbey next.
Where'd you find it for $7?

Edit: Retarded, you live in Denver.
[Reply]
Miles 09:10 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
Where'd you find it for $7?

Edit: Retarded, you live in Denver.
That would be a bit of a drive for a beer run.
[Reply]
Reaper16 09:19 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by Miles:
Finally getting around to trying some Boulevard Tank 7 tonight. I have had several of the Smokestack Series and for the most part loved them. Tank 7 is great stuff and I enjoyed it as much as their tripel and quad.

The guy at the beer store was also raving about Lost Abbey Red Barn but the Tank 7 was on sale for $7 so I went with it. Probably try the Lost Abbey next.
I've got a Lost Abbey Red Barn in the cellar. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a book-length project on Saison. I plan on drinking a shit-ton of Saison in the next three weeks to spur on my rough draft of the non-travel, non-interview/profile segments of the book. I'm talking LA Red Barn, Bruery Saison de Lente, Bruery Saison Rue, like 4 different Fantomes, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire, New Glarus Imperial Saison, Saison Dupont, Dupont Avec Les Bons Vuex, Boulevard Saison (now retired), Boulevard Saison-Brett, Boulevard Tank 7, maybe more.
[Reply]
Miles 10:14 PM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
I've got a Lost Abbey Red Barn in the cellar. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a book-length project on Saison. I plan on drinking a shit-ton of Saison in the next three weeks to spur on my rough draft of the non-travel, non-interview/profile segments of the book. I'm talking LA Red Barn, Bruery Saison de Lente, Bruery Saison Rue, like 4 different Fantomes, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire, New Glarus Imperial Saison, Saison Dupont, Dupont Avec Les Bons Vuex, Boulevard Saison (now retired), Boulevard Saison-Brett, Boulevard Tank 7, maybe more.
Nice project. IMO it seems like Saison isn't that well know outside of the beer geek world but has slowly been getting more popular. I don't even think I tried one until a few years ago.
[Reply]
NewChief 04:54 AM 04-30-2010
Just read an essay in the OA about this brewery:
http://www.fullsteam.ag/

Sounds like they have a cool philosophy and some interesting beers. Anyone familiar with it?
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 06:55 AM 04-30-2010
Had one of these last night. Pretty tasty.

[Reply]
Reaper16 09:33 AM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
Just read an essay in the OA about this brewery:
http://www.fullsteam.ag/

Sounds like they have a cool philosophy and some interesting beers. Anyone familiar with it?
I haven't heard of them before. It doesn't seem like they've released any beers into the market just yet. Sounds exciting though; link me to that essay if you would be so kind.

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
Had one of these last night. Pretty tasty.

Racer 5 is damn solid. Bear Republic makes another IPA called Hop Rod Rye that is probably in my top 10 favorite IPAs.
[Reply]
NewChief 09:56 AM 04-30-2010
I haven't heard of them before. It doesn't seem like they've released any beers into the market just yet. Sounds exciting though; link me to that essay if you would be so kind.
I don't think it's online. Here is synopsis and title, though:
http://www.eatmedaily.com/2010/03/ox...-adhd-edition/
Originally Posted by :
"MoonPie Beer? Kudzu Beer?" is an article about a Durham, NC, brewery that emphasizes local, truly Southern ingredients. There's a little sweet-tea blasphemy there in the beginning, but don't take it personally. (Print only.)
Edit:

Actually, here's the article in its original form:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/...-southern.html
Suds straight from the Southern soil
ARTICLE
COMMENTS (3)
EmailPrintOrder Reprint Share: Yahoo! Buzz Text
BY WELLS TOWER
Unless you want to see a man upset, do not ask Sean Lilly Wilson, president of the nascent Fullsteam Brewery in Durham, what he thinks of sweet tea.

"People talk about sweet tea as though it's a distinctly Southern beverage, but what is it? It's Camellia sinensis, a Chinese shrub! What's Southern about a Chinese shrub?" Wilson asks.

Wilson, 39, grew up in Pennsylvania but radiates an ardor for Southern foodways that borders on the extreme. In Fullsteam's mission "to brew farmhouse ales that celebrate the culinary and agricultural heritage of the South," Wilson and his brewer, Chris Davis, have tried, with varying results, to make beer from sweet potatoes, figs, rhubarb, pawpaws, persimmons, scuppernong grapes and, daringly, the roots, stems and flowers of kudzu vines. An emphasis on locally grown ingredients, specific to the South, is at the core of what Wilson describes as Fullsteam's "plow-to-pint" philosophy.

"As more people like me move down here, it's easy to worry about the South losing its Southernness, but at the core of Southern life is the climate, the things that grow here," Wilson says. "We're fermentation opportunists. All we're trying to do is to ferment what we farm and forage - as brewers have been doing for thousands of years - and to create a new approach to a Southern beer style."

Backed by about $1 million in investments and loans, Fullsteam aims to launch production this spring and to begin pouring pints in a taproom at the brewery, which stands on an improving block in Durham's resurgent downtown, by mid-May. Fullsteam's inaugural lineup will include a porter brewed from hickory-smoked malt, designed to complement the hickory-smoked meat of Carolina hogs; a tangy-tart Berliner-weisse fermented with locally grown rhubarb; a sweet-potato ale; and Fullsteam Carolina Common, the brewery's yeasty, crisp flagship beer, which surprisingly fulfills brewer Chris Davis's ambition "to make a beer that tastes like biscuits and fresh bread."

It is the sort of menu that might strike fear into your heart if you have been let down by syrupy, Smuckers-ish raspberry hefeweizens and blueberry ales. In the small-batch offerings available on the day of my visit to the brewery-in-progress, however, Wilson and Davis's beers were studies in graceful restraint. The pawpaw ale was devoid of gooey sweetness and broadened on the tongue into a dusky earthiness, a flavor of soil that could inspire you to eat dirt. The sweet-potato ale, in which sweet potatoes constitute 25 percent of the fermentable mash, was crisp and supple and entirely dodged the expected pumpkin-pie-spice bouquet.

"Traditional Southern food doesn't bash you over the head, and we're not trying to bash you over the head with our ingredients," Wilson says. "Just to make beers that work tastefully and subtly with Southern foods."

That said, Wilson is busy plotting future projects that hardly seem the essence of subtlety and taste, among them a stout decocted from the Southern "workingman's lunch," MoonPies and RC Cola.

"No idea if that'll work," says Wilson, who doesn't much mind that a cola-and-MoonPie beer would send the average craft-beer snoot into fits of peristalsis. "Beer is and should be a respite from connoisseurship. I'd like our beers to be a joyful celebration of the land we live on and the foods we eat. I know it sounds a little cheesy, a little lofty and unattainable, but so what? I'm an optimist. Full steam ahead."

Wells Tower is an award-winning short story and nonfiction writer who splits his time between North Carolina and New York. This article appears in The Oxford American magazine's 2010 "Southern Food" issue, which is available at most bookstores and newsstands nationwide. The Oxford American is "The Southern Magazine of Good Writing," and more information is available at www.oxfordamerican.org.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/...#ixzz0mbFhHuXP
[Reply]
Lzen 10:08 AM 04-30-2010
Hmmm.....I may have to try some of these. Only thing is I wonder if I can even find many of these around here.

And this.....wth?

Originally Posted by :
Samuel Adams Utopias
It's hard to call this a beer because it has no carbonation, has the consistency of brandy, is best sipped from a nosing glass, and, oh yeah, it costs $150 for a 24-oz. bottle. But it's worth a taste if you come across it at a bar: complexly sweet, like a port.
$150 for a 24oz bottle? :-)
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:27 AM 04-30-2010
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Hmmm.....I may have to try some of these. Only thing is I wonder if I can even find many of these around here.

And this.....wth?

Yeah, Utopias is a super-complex, 27% ABV strong ale.
[Reply]
Reaper16 07:47 PM 05-01-2010
BTW -- in case anyone likes Goose Island's Nut Brown Ale or Oatmeal Stout, I wanted to let you know that they are discontinuing them. They've made those beers for decades but the market is pushing towards bigger, more complex beers and Goose Island has decided to remove these two session beers from their bottled lineup altogether.
[Reply]
Miles 07:56 PM 05-01-2010
Originally Posted by Lzen:

And this.....wth?

The crazy thing is that it usually sells for a premium over that because it is so hard to get. I have tried it at the Great American Beerfest and it is really interesting but I was expecting more for at that price.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:47 AM 06-01-2010
Since this thread became a general beer lovers discussion, I thought I'd just post this into it. Follow the actual link to see pictures of all the pretty bottles.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandfo...evolution.html

Originally Posted by :
The Italian Beer Revolution
10:23 am / June 1, 2010 / Posted by Andrew Knowlton
FILED UNDER: BA Foodist, Beer
The country known for Pinot Grigio and Super Tuscans has recently become a creative frontier for beer. Unbound by brewing traditions (unlike Germany and Belgium) and heavily influenced by the Slow Food movement, Italy is crafting food-friendly brews beloved by the beer intelligentsia, including Justin Philips, owner of the superb Beer Table bar in Brooklyn. Here, Philips shares his favorite birre.

Birra del Borgo Genziana, $9 for â¿¿12.7 ounces
"Brewed just outside of Rome, this crisp, herbal ale is made with gentian root, imparting a floral bitterness."

Piccolo Birrificio Sesonette, $9 for 11.2 ounces
"Nearly a beer-wine hybrid, this unique pale and spicy beer is matured in wine barrels."

Birrificio del Ducato Via Emilia, $10 for 11.2 ounces
"A magnificent interpretation of pilsner--zippy, frothy, and super-refreshing."

Birreria Baladin Wayan, $14 for 25.4 ounces
"Reminiscent of a Belgian saison, Wayan is brewed with an array of spices and malts; it's citrusy and crisp."

Birrificio Italiano â¿¿La Fleurette, $15 for 25.4 ounces
"Brewed with roses, violets, honey, elderberries, and black pepper, the result is a bold low-alcohol quencher."

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandfo...#ixzz0pc4HzZq4

[Reply]
Phobia 08:57 AM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by Taco John:
Fat Tire is one of the most overrated beers I've ever come across. I thought it was unique and interesting when it first came out, but that wore off quickly. I'll drink it if someone brings it over, but I'm not a fan of New Belgian Company brews.
It's like they changed it or something. I still love their Abbey and 1554 offerings but I can take or leave everything else.
[Reply]
Phobia 08:58 AM 06-01-2010

Racer 5 is damn solid. Bear Republic makes another IPA called Hop Rod Rye that is probably in my top 10 favorite IPAs.
We have that on tap at my favorite hole.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 382
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Up