ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 155 of 173
« First < 55105145151152153154155 156157158159165 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:12 AM 06-23-2023
(Entire) Season 2 of The Bear released yesterday.

Picks up just where the first left off and is so good.

If you haven't watched this show, do it. Now.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:19 AM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Ohh, you have to watch it.

It was the best season IMO and wrapped things up nicely.

The BB/BCS universe is my favorite though.
3 episodes left - gonna be all 'Gene' episodes.

I can see where this is going to go and I think they rushed the pacing on the BB universe so they could slow to a crawl in the 'modern' era. Just seems like a structure mistake. I could've spent another episode or two with the real-time impact of everything that went down. I'm happy hanging a little longer with Mike and Gus. Cramming that into a single episode and then moving on to a post BB universe seems like its burying the lede.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:26 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
(Entire) Season 2 of The Bear released yesterday.

Picks up just where the first left off and is so good.

If you haven't watched this show, do it. Now.
They dropped the whole thing?

I thought they were going week by week. I need to make this happen. I couldn't believe how into this show I was.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 01:36 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
They dropped the whole thing?

I thought they were going week by week. I need to make this happen. I couldn't believe how into this show I was.
Rumor is Season 2 is...better.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:46 PM 06-23-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
My mom watched the entire thing and liked it more.

I'm 3 episodes in and I can completely see it.

I feel like I want 100 more seasons of this.

(And bonus: I move to Chicago tomorrow and this helps get me hyped.)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:51 PM 06-24-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Season 2 Episode 6.

OMG. Jaw-dropping amazing. One of the best of the year with some amazing all-star additions to the cast. Legendary.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 08:39 AM 06-25-2023
Plowed through Silo on AppleTV+. Excited for the S1 finale next week

It's a sort of a crime investigation in a post apocalyptic setting where it's also unraveling the mysteries of how & why current society exists. It has a large cast with a mix of people I'm not familiar with and names and faces most would recognize but aren't huge stars like Will Patton.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:40 AM 06-26-2023
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Plowed through Silo on AppleTV+. Excited for the S1 finale next week

It's a sort of a crime investigation in a post apocalyptic setting where it's also unraveling the mysteries of how & why current society exists. It has a large cast with a mix of people I'm not familiar with and names and faces most would recognize but aren't huge stars like Will Patton.
Read the books when I saw they were making a series out of it.

Watched the first couple episodes of the series to see how they built the universe - man the pacing is slooooooooow.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:42 AM 06-26-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
3 episodes left - gonna be all 'Gene' episodes.

I can see where this is going to go and I think they rushed the pacing on the BB universe so they could slow to a crawl in the 'modern' era. Just seems like a structure mistake. I could've spent another episode or two with the real-time impact of everything that went down. I'm happy hanging a little longer with Mike and Gus. Cramming that into a single episode and then moving on to a post BB universe seems like its burying the lede.
Yeah, ended about like I thought it would.

Honestly, I'd have been fairly content just ending it after episode 10. The 'Gene' wrapup just felt telegraphed and fairly boring.

Spoiler!

Great universe and I understand why they finished it like they did. But I don't think anyone NEEDS to have watched it, honestly.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:17 AM 06-26-2023
Yeah, ended about like I thought it would.

Honestly, I'd have been fairly content just ending it after episode 10. The 'Gene' wrapup just felt telegraphed and fairly boring.

Spoiler!

Great universe and I understand why they finished it like they did. But I don't think anyone NEEDS to have watched it, honestly.
I'd probably agree with all that, but I'm glad they did it. If for no other reason to show that something besides a lowest common denominator schlock shitbox will work.

Do something well and I'm here for it. And this was that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:34 AM 06-26-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Can't remember if it has been discussed here, but I've been watching Shrinking and I really like it. Ford and Jessica Williams are up here throwing 100MPH the whole time. I'm not the biggest Jason Segal fan, but he's hanging in there, and it works for what they're trying to do. They're going after some godDAMN serious subject matter...with a comedy (?) and it seems to be working. So far (4 episodes in) they're doing a decent job of balancing the goofball shit with serious stuff, and delineating the two.

I admittedly wasn't expecting much, but it has me hooked. We'll see how they navigate the storylines, but I'm pretty impressed so far.
Really enjoying this as well.

And frankly, THIS is what Harrison Ford should be doing, not trying to run shotgun along angry feminists as a sidecar in his own franchise.

Ford is friggen perfect in this show. That snark that came so easily to him even when he was a matinee idol is spectacular here. The only complaint I have isn't really a complaint as much as a comment on Jason Segal - he's become Michael Cera at this point. He simply plays the same character in every role. He's playing Peter Bretter but if his wife had died instead of dumped him. Or Marshall from HIMYM if Ted realized he was Gay and Lily died in a car wreck.

But hey - it works. It's a good show. Sometimes they create drama where it wouldn't actually exist (for instance, why would Ford's daughter be THAT pissed off at him when his answer is going to be how 99% of people respond in that situation), but it's necessary for a show to exist so it is what it is.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 03:07 PM 06-26-2023
...Jason Segal - he's become Michael Cera at this point. He simply plays the same character in every role.
I do not disagree.

But the list of actors the play essentially the same character in every movie is endless, going back to John Wayne and Eastwood, and probably farther. Heck, in this one Harrison Ford is playing Indiana Jones as an aging therapist.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:04 AM 06-27-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I do not disagree.

But the list of actors the play essentially the same character in every movie is endless, going back to John Wayne and Eastwood, and probably farther. Heck, in this one Harrison Ford is playing Indiana Jones as an aging therapist.
How DARE you, sir.

I mean how can you argue that Sean Thornton and JB Books are remotely similar characters? In Harm's Way and Brannigan are quite a bit different. Ethan Edwards vs. Rooster Cogburn. He plays a swede as the lead in a movie that was nominated for Best Picture (The Long Voyage Home). He does comedic roles - quite well actually - in Hatari and McLintock.

As John Ford once said after watching him play a heavy in Red River - "I never knew the big son of a bitch could act..."

I will not stand for this blasphemy.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:21 PM 06-27-2023
Big, tough, fair, don't take no nonsense, reserved until he's forced to act.

Isn't that how he played every character?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:43 AM 06-28-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
Big, tough, fair, don't take no nonsense, reserved until he's forced to act.

Isn't that how he played every character?
Well he's a large human being so there's that. It's hard for 'big and tough' not to come into play. The guy dwarfed about any actor you put in front of him so having him play some squish (which he did for the most part in The Quiet Man because they finally found an actor as physically imposing as him to play against) wouldn't really work.

In many of his roles, (Red River and Searchers immediately jump out) 'fair' and 'reserved' ain't in the picture. In both of those he's just something of an angry lunatic. I'm not sure how to even describe him in Reap the Wild Wind but no, he's not what you're describing.

Moreover, you could say that description applies to him in both Rio Bravo and The Shootist but if you were to say that means he played the same guy in both you'd be WAY off base, so it's not even a terribly useful description.

The man played Genghis Khan!

This is blasphemy.
[Reply]
Page 155 of 173
« First < 55105145151152153154155 156157158159165 > Last »
Up