ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Too Cold To Walk Your Dog?
frozenchief 01:52 PM 11-23-2021
I saw this today and was frankly a bit perplexed. There's a saying up here: "The Arctic favors men and dogs and frowns on women and horses." If I followed this, I'd never walk my dog. In fact, I see a lot of people up here who skijor (cross-country sled while being pulled by a dog) or run with their dogs or do stuff with their dogs when it is way colder than this. The Yukon Quest is run at temperatures way below this.

I would not let a short hair Chihuahua out at those temperatures but that's not a good dog for up here anyway. Dogs that size are eagle bait. Literally. But I've got an Aussie shepherd/mastiff pup who's about 5 months old and about 35 pounds.

We've had a rash of early cold weather so 10 has been about the high for the last week and a half and yet I go walk the dog or let the dog out. Last night I walked the dog at about -5. We were out for about 30 minutes and he did just fine. Ran up and down the trail.

What do you all say? Is it me? Or is this chart too restrictive?

[Reply]
loochy 04:17 PM 11-23-2021
Guess what? Stray dogs survive for years, which means they make it through the winter.

They'll make it through a walk...
[Reply]
eDave 04:18 PM 11-23-2021
There's a similar one for Phoenix summers. Mostly about dog paws on the hot af surfaces.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 04:23 PM 11-23-2021
We have a 5 lb Maltese and this is pretty accurate for her. She wears sweaters in the winter and anything below 30 is too cold but above that with sun she’s mostly fine.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:28 PM 11-23-2021
I kinda feel like the dog will tell you.

Every dog I've ever had (all bigger dogs; between 75 and 95 lbs) have loved crisp weather; down into the upper 20s/lower 30s. They get all kinds of fired up when they get outside and it's a little chilly.

But if it's REAL cold (hovering near zero) they'll do their business and they're back at the door in a hurry.

If your dog is still acting like he's happy to be there and proud to serve, let him go on his walk. I mean sure, we've watered dogs down to the point of nearly useless in domesticating them, but they still have SOME instincts left. Feral dogs are still a thing - they don't just stand in the woods until they die (unless you have a worthless 5 lb Maltese).
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:29 PM 11-23-2021
Excessive heat is much bigger risk than cold for most dogs, that chart is DAF.

I mean yea you dont just leave them outside in 0 degree weather but you can let them out to run around for a while. As long as they are active they are fine.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 04:44 PM 11-23-2021
Solved.

only $545 at Nordstrom.
Attached: Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 2.44.58 PM.png (139.7 KB) 
[Reply]
PHOG 11-23-2021, 04:54 PM
This message has been deleted by PHOG. Reason: wrong thread
displacedinMN 05:13 PM 11-23-2021
animal rights wokeness
[Reply]
Bump 06:13 PM 11-23-2021
I dont walk my dog when everyone has salt/ice melt on the sidewalks in the winter. If I see her limping or walking funny because of it I'm bringing her back in
[Reply]
Fish 06:17 PM 11-23-2021
What kind of Facebook Mommy group shit is that?
[Reply]
Hydrae 06:54 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
Guess what? Stray dogs survive for years, which means they make it through the winter.

They'll make it through a walk...
Do you know how many stray dogs die each year? You only see the ones that survive. You have to think of all the other that didn't make it through the winter! :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 07:29 PM 11-23-2021
Most dogs, are like wolves. It doesn't matter how cold it is outside.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:31 PM 11-23-2021
Think of the wolves, huskies, and dingos out there in the cold and heat. We need to save them.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:31 PM 11-23-2021
If that chart were anywhere close to the truth, every dog I've ever owned would have tipped over from hypothermia. I have a German Shepherd that lays out in the snow when it's well below zero. That dog has a coat like a Bison.

My Doberman is pretty close. Now keep in mind, they have access to a nice heated garage and a covered twin mattress at anytime, but they choose to be out there. In fact, when I bring them in the house, they get pretty hot and I generally don't keep the house over 68 at any given time. I like it cool as well. My bedroom is like a polar vortex with a bed full of thick covers.
[Reply]
Bump 08:33 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
If that chart were anywhere close to the truth, every dog I've ever owned would have tipped over from hypothermia. I have a German Shepherd that lays out in the snow when it's well below zero. That dog has a coat like a Bison.

My Doberman is pretty close. Now keep in mind, they have access to a nice heated garage and a covered twin mattress at anytime, but they choose to be out there. In fact, when I bring them in the house, they get pretty hot and I generally don't keep the house over 68 at any given time. I like it cool as well. My bedroom is like a polar vortex with a bed full of thick covers.
my black lab actually likes running around in the snow until her feet get too cold lol
[Reply]
Bwana 08:37 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bump:
my black lab actually likes running around in the snow until her feet get too cold lol

Every lab I have ever had, was the same way.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up