ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 407 of 3903
« First < 307357397403404405406407 4084094104114174575079071407 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 12:22 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Absent some therapeutic that is effective and available widespread there won’t be an NFL season and not much of an economy over the next 12-18 months. FWIW I think they’ll get a vaccine in less than 18 months, but all the happy talk about this being gone in weeks seems highly unlikely.
Yeah we still need some kind of miracle.

A few causes for potential optimism - the report doesn't consider a summer pause - which often happens with these kinds of viruses. The summer killed SARS. The Spanish Flu paused then mutated and came back much worse.

Also it doesn't really get into improved suppression strategies. It kind of assumes the same spread as in the beginning when we knew much less and had less examples of what works (S. Korea, Japan, China).

From everything I've been reading - the countries where everyone wears a mask (not just symptomatic people) are doing a lot better. China requires masks. Czechoslovakia is requiring them. In Japan, which seems to be doing inexplicably well right now, everyone is wearing them. But you also have to keep infected people who live in large households from infecting everyone in the house - that's been by far the biggest source of spread. Masks don't work for that - only isolation.

IMO we should try a combination of masks, all the other social distancing stuff, and pervasive testing (then don't send positives home to infect their households). Maybe we can keep the R number below 1 w/o full lock down if we do that.

Just my personal guess but I could see restaurants opening back up with lots of room between patrons - no more of those hipster places where you're like 6" from the table next to you. Bars however may have to stay closed for the duration. Drunks hanging out for 6 hours sharing the same space getting progressively more touchy feely. Disaster.

Report from Japan today:

Originally Posted by :
Made a trip today to a downtown area of Western Japan. While the rest of the world is barricaded inside their homes, economies ground to a halt, panic level Code Red, here in Japan it is literally business as usual.

If you were suddenly dropped into the middle of downtown Tokyo, there would be no hint that a global crisis was underway.

Japan has either figured this virus-containment thing out WITHOUT upsetting its economy or even the flow of daily life, or it is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.
I really hope a bunch of smart people are studying Japan right now.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:29 AM 03-18-2020
They have shown that the virus is still detectable on a surface after some length of time but that doesn't necessarily mean it is that likely of a transmission route. Like most things, they don't know yet.

So this approach is not a guarantee but it probably helps.

The danger from a surface has to drop with time. I would think there would be less contagion at 6:00am than 6:00pm. And then just limiting the number of shoppers.

But sure, store workers could still transmit it.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:40 AM 03-18-2020
this gym in st joseph posted that "WE ARE FIGHTING THE VIRUS HEAD ON" and posted pictures of 100 together for photo's fuck we are dumb. So boastful about being dumb as well.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:29 AM 03-18-2020
We may come out of this so much healthier w/o bars, restaurants and take out for a while. I'm already losing weight. It's much easier to have willpower only once when you go to the store vs. every lunch and dinner (potentially).
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:34 AM 03-18-2020

Alberta:
• Population: 4.4 million
• COVID-19 tests: 12,258
• Positive tests: 97 (0.8%)
• Deaths: 0

Louisiana:
• Population: 4.6 million
• COVID-19 tests: 531
• Positive tests: 196 (36.9%)
• Deaths: 4 https://t.co/pxSjPMl7T4

— Robson Fletcher (@CBCFletch) March 18, 2020

[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:17 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This was a great read. Thanks for posting.

Pretty much lays out what we're in for the next 18 months - cycles of lock down, then open up, then lock down again when cases spike. We'll see how it goes in China and Italy whenever they open back up.
Great read? That was horrible. I hope it's not true. 4 million US deaths if we went on as normal and it's going to just keep coming back everytime we reemerge from hiding for any period? yuck

If we have to keep locking down over and over were fucked.
[Reply]
Sorry 03:46 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Great read? That was horrible. I hope it's not true. 4 million US deaths if we went on as normal and it's going to just keep coming back everytime we reemerge from hiding for any period? yuck

If we have to keep locking down over and over were fucked.
Oh completely fucked.
[Reply]
Spott 05:03 AM 03-18-2020
Sorry if repost, but I didn’t see it talked about earlier in this thread. Looks like the 4/15 tax deadline is being extended 90 days. For those that owe money each year, this will give you a temporary financial break.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:32 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I hope none of you know someone fighting cancer right now, with many people continuing to not take social distancing seriously.

Those of you not practicing it can get fucked.
Well, you all know me, sort of.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:44 AM 03-18-2020
My Brother in law has stage 4 prostate cancer. He had a robotic surgery to remove the prostate yesterday in Fort Smith.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:47 AM 03-18-2020
Went to the store early hoping some stuff might be restocked. Not. Almost no ground beef, no chicken, very little bread. Pre-cooked sausages like hot dogs were gone. Still had plenty of steaks and pork chops, but they seemed really expensive. "Limit One" signs everywhere, although that may be a day late and a dollar short. Fresh produce fairly picked over, but not as bad as the others. And zero toilet paper - didn't need any, but I checked the aisle just to see.

Still plenty of canned goods, though, and dairy products. I guess that's good.

The store wasn't too crowded, but there were still a lot of people there for 6:00 a.m. on a Wednesday.

This shit is surreal.

At least gas is cheap. Even will all the Illinois taxes, it's only around $2.15. Of course that's not really a good thing.

:-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:49 AM 03-18-2020
Coronavirus came into the swine industry several years back. Just as the H1N1 it sweeps through the herd and takes its toll and then stabilizes. Vaccines brought it under control.

Same thing will happen to the human population.
[Reply]
wazu 06:00 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Well, you all know me, sort of.
Very sorry to hear. Hope you’re able to steer clear of this.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 06:08 AM 03-18-2020
Rumor going around if you make 65k or more wont get any help from government.
[Reply]
O.city 06:12 AM 03-18-2020
https://twitter.com/nachristakis/sta...981002755?s=21
[Reply]
Page 407 of 3903
« First < 307357397403404405406407 4084094104114174575079071407 > Last »
Up