ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3780 of 3903
« First < 2780328036803730377037763777377837793780 3781378237833784379038303880 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 09:48 PM 11-10-2021
From twoplustwo.com:

Originally Posted by :
I know and deal with several people every day that are rabidly anti-vax, including the guy who had the office two doors down from me who has been in the ICU for a month and a half now whose family is asking for PTO donations. I gave a week cause I don’t want him to die even though I think he’s an idiot.
Are PTO donations really a thing? Not much shocks me these days. But companies requiring/allowing PTO donations for someone in the ICU is seriously dystopian.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:55 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
From twoplustwo.com:

Are PTO donations really a thing? Not much shocks me these days. But companies requiring/allowing PTO donations for someone in the ICU is seriously dystopian.
Yes, lots of places allow for PTO donations. I have seen them used for cancer treatments, recovery from injuries and other cases where someone is looking at a long term absence from work for medical reasons.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:59 PM 11-10-2021
The company should provide some kind of long term disability insurance for that. Asking the employee and everyone else to give up their vacation time because someone got very sick seems like something an evil super villain would do.

You get super sick, go through hell, lose all your vacation, and your coworkers are all pissed because they lost their vacation too. Once you get healthy again seems like a good time to just quit.

Now in this case it was the guy's own fault, which complicates things. But in normal cases - that whole process seems really ugly to me. I get PTO for little sicknesses - fine. But long term should be covered by some other system.
[Reply]
Coach 09:59 PM 11-10-2021
From twoplustwo.com:

Yes, PTO donations is a thing. My company also does this too.
[Reply]
Coach 10:00 PM 11-10-2021
The company should provide some kind of long term disability insurance for that. Asking the employee and everyone else to give up their vacation time because someone got very sick seems like something an evil super villain would do.
Not really. They just send a note explaining the situation and that any employee can donate their leave if they wish to do so.

Nobody's being forced to give up their PTO.
[Reply]
Fish 10:01 PM 11-10-2021

You get super sick, go through hell, lose all your vacation, and your coworkers are all pissed because they lost their vacation too.

Now in this case it was the guy's own fault, which complicates things. But in normal cases - that whole process seems really ugly to me. I get PTO for little sicknesses - fine. But long term should be covered by some other system.
Hi! Welcome to the US!
[Reply]
KS Smitty 10:04 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
Not really. They just send a note explaining the situation and that any employee can donate their leave if they wish to do so.

Nobody's being forced to give up their PTO.

^^^This^^^ It's strictly up to the employees to donate or not, kinda like what CP is doing for NZoner's family and have done for others previously.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:08 PM 11-10-2021
I get that it's voluntary. But the point is everyone shouldn't have to lose their vacation, or be an asshole, because someone got sick. There should be a better system. Even the person who got sick shouldn't also lose all their vacation because of it. That's a double kick in the nuts. I get that PTO is ok for normal short term illness. But for long term illness it's a terrible solution imo.

Imagine a dystopian hellscape where an employee loses 4 fingers for some transgression. But if 3 of his fellow employees donate their pinkies, he only loses his pinky. Hey nothing wrong because it's all voluntary, right? No - it's obviously a terrible system. There should be a better way to take care of people with long term illness is what I'm saying.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 10:11 PM 11-10-2021
The company should provide some kind of long term disability insurance for that.
Why is that on the employer and not the employee?
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:11 PM 11-10-2021
I get that it's voluntary. But the point is everyone shouldn't have to lose their vacation, or be an asshole, because someone got sick. There should be a better system.

Imagine a dystopian hellscape where an employee loses 5 fingers for some transgression. But if four of his fellow employees donate their pinkies, he only loses his pinky. Hey nothing wrong because it's all voluntary, right? No - it's obviously a terrible system. There should be a better way to take care of people with long term illness is what I'm saying.
My company provides long-term disability and short-term disability insurance for people. No one has ever used the long-term, but a few have used the short-term and it's worked great. It's not that expensive, either.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:14 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
Why is that on the employer and not the employee?
Because the employer is providing PTO. It should just be bundled together in the same system imo. No one thinks they're going to be sick for months, until it happens. It's such a rare event that the long term insurance can't be that expensive, I would think. Isn't this what Aflac does?

I'm just saying that a system where if anyone gets super sick they'll have to beg other employees to donate PTO is a bad system. It's like relying on gofundme for healthcare.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:14 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My company provides long-term disability and short-term disability insurance for people. No one has ever used the long-term, but a few have used the short-term and it's worked great. It's not that expensive, either.
Yeah, but you're a really decent dude.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:16 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Yeah, but you're a really decent dude.
Well, I can't argue with that.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:34 AM 11-11-2021
I get that it's voluntary. But the point is everyone shouldn't have to lose their vacation, or be an asshole, because someone got sick. There should be a better system. Even the person who got sick shouldn't also lose all their vacation because of it. That's a double kick in the nuts. I get that PTO is ok for normal short term illness. But for long term illness it's a terrible solution imo.

Imagine a dystopian hellscape where an employee loses 4 fingers for some transgression. But if 3 of his fellow employees donate their pinkies, he only loses his pinky. Hey nothing wrong because it's all voluntary, right? No - it's obviously a terrible system. There should be a better way to take care of people with long term illness is what I'm saying.
Sad. In your world, people helping others is dystopia. The only real difference between donated PTO and what you want is one is voluntary.
[Reply]
Otter 07:37 AM 11-11-2021
From twoplustwo.com:

[Reply]
Page 3780 of 3903
« First < 2780328036803730377037763777377837793780 3781378237833784379038303880 > Last »
Up