ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3768 of 3903
« First < 2768326836683718375837643765376637673768 3769377037713772377838183868 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 01:24 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
And WTF are kids in school spreading colds? Fuckin' parents, if it's one thing we should have learned in the past year and a half is to stay the fuck home if you're sick.
My wife works at a large preschool program, and they have to send kids home all the time. On the one hand, you could say parents are idiots. However, for some it's a big challenge to keep a kid home since school is basically a babysitter while they're at work.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 01:26 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by :
The Delta variant of the coronavirus does not appear to cause more severe disease in children than earlier forms of the virus, a UK study suggests. Earlier this year, the research team found the Alpha variant of the virus did not appear to make children sicker than the so-called wild, or original, form of the virus, first seen in China. New data suggests that kids also do not get any sicker from Delta than they did from Alpha.
Originally Posted by :
Secondary immune response stronger after infection than vaccination

In COVID-19 survivors, important components of the body's immune response called memory B cells continue to evolve and get stronger for at least several months, producing highly potent antibodies that can neutralize new variants of the virus, a new study has found. By comparison, vaccine-induced memory B cells are less robust, evolving for only a few weeks and never "learning" to protect against variants, researchers reported in a paper published on Thursday in Nature https://go.nature.com/3AjGx2B. COVID-19 vaccines do induce more antibodies than the immune system does after a coronavirus infection. But the immune system appears to outshine vaccines when it comes to memory B cells.
https://news.yahoo.com/delta-does-no...184145095.html
[Reply]
penguinz 01:27 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My wife works at a large preschool program, and they have to send kids home all the time. On the one hand, you could say parents are idiots. However, for some it's a big challenge to keep a kid home since school is basically a babysitter while they're at work.
Yep, my wife is an infant teacher at a pre-school. Parents will load their babies up on Tylenol and decongestants and bring the babies in. It wears off after a few hours and temps spike and they have to call the parents to come get them. They still will not show up for hours and be pissed off that they were inconvenienced.
[Reply]
loochy 03:36 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Was in drs office the other day ( masks required) my oxygen level was 85 percent with a mask 97 percent without it . He had me remove the mask .
You shouldn't use a Walmart bag as a mask
[Reply]
jdubya 04:42 PM 10-08-2021
And WTF are kids in school spreading colds? ****in' parents, if it's one thing we should have learned in the past year and a half is to stay the **** home if you're sick.
Don't disagree but welcome to the real world. Sick kids go to school everyday just like sick adults go to work everyday.
[Reply]
R Clark 04:51 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
You shouldn't use a Walmart bag as a mask
Well damn it the price was right
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:40 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Don't disagree but welcome to the real world. Sick kids go to school everyday just like sick adults go to work everyday.
Yeah, and it's the mask mandates people complain about. :-)
[Reply]
jdubya 12:06 AM 10-09-2021
Yeah, and it's the mask mandates people complain about. :-)
I don't get the correlation.... Long before covid 19 kids went to school sick and adults went to work sick. It's a puritan work ethic thing more than anything I think.....

Now masks keep kids from blowing their noses. Bullshit
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:00 AM 10-09-2021
Originally Posted by NotDonger:
That's actually not accurate:

https://www.history.com/news/1918-pa...alth-campaigns
No one blames Columbus for bringing and spreading measles to the native Americans. No one blames antivax mom for bringing little Suzy and her mumps to Disney World and infecting the little boy who can't get his MMR.

What a stupid statement
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:02 AM 10-09-2021
Originally Posted by NotDonger:
That's actually not accurate:

https://www.history.com/news/1918-pa...alth-campaigns
I don't get the correlation.... Long before covid 19 kids went to school sick and adults went to work sick. It's a puritan work ethic thing more than anything I think.....

Doesn't mean they should be doing it. Just because something was the norm in the past doesn't make it right. Going to school or work while contagious makes you a jackass.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:27 AM 10-09-2021

I didn't catch the "high school" part of your original post, figured we were talking about 1st graders who were being told not to use a tissue... no offense to your daughter, but that sounds made up or greatly exaggerated or perhaps based on one idiot teacher and not near a school-wide thing where 15-18 year olds look like 5 year olds with snot running down their face.

The point was that the mandates are almost completely in effect because people don't give a shit if they're infringing on the "freedom" of others as long as they can do whatever the fuck they want, which includes spreading sickness to others..... so, you end up with a bunch of snotty kids and potentially their parents complaining about a mask mandate that would in theory actually help with having irresponsible parents and/or kids going to school sick.

It would be like showing up to work in a skimpy dress and no underwear, being forced to put on a work uniform, then complaining casual Friday was canceled and there's now a dress code..... you're the reason there are rules, Meredith.. (relevant Office clip)

[Reply]
TLO 09:10 AM 10-12-2021

An analysis of ~250,000 in Canada found two doses of any of the three COVID-19 vaccines (Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca) led to strong protection from infection, hospitalization, AND death -even against Delta- REGARDLESS of the vaccination combination and showed NO signs of waning.

— Chise ���������� BWS GOH (@sailorrooscout) October 12, 2021

Worth clicking on and reading the thread.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:10 PM 10-12-2021
Looks like Moderna booster is probably going to mirror Pfizer's. They'll probably make it available to high-risk people, but not really a need for everyday folks.

The FDA has declined to take a stance on whether to back booster shots of Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine, saying data shows two doses are still enough to protect against severe disease and death in the U.S. https://t.co/KxJzJVHTf4

— CNBC (@CNBC) October 12, 2021

[Reply]
loochy 02:22 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The FDA has declined to take a stance on whether to back booster shots of Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine, saying data shows two doses are still enough to protect against severe disease and death in the U.S. https://t.co/KxJzJVHTf4
— CNBC (@CNBC) October 12, 2021

so, that IS taking a stance, isn't it?
[Reply]
DaFace 02:28 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
so, that IS taking a stance, isn't it?
It's semantics, but I think "taking a stance" means making a formal recommendation, and they're basically saying "Eh, there's no harm in it, but we don't see a strong need either."

In case it's not clear, this is the same thing they did with Pfizer. The committee will then take their synopsis and decide whether to recommend people get it. And chances are, it'll be the same deal as with Pfizer.

I just keep waiting for the J&J recommendation to come through. I have to imagine it'll be a different story given its relatively low effectiveness.
[Reply]
Page 3768 of 3903
« First < 2768326836683718375837643765376637673768 3769377037713772377838183868 > Last »
Up