ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3720 of 3903
« First < 2720322036203670371037163717371837193720 3721372237233724373037703820 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:40 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
What I think people need to understand also, is the fact that even if you are vaccinated - your immune system might have been good enough to thwart covid without its help.

Hear me out. Vaccines help. No doubt.

But pre vaccine - 40% of infected with covid were Asymptomatic and 80% would get no worse than mild symptoms.

Post vaccine - we learned that 80% are asymptomatic and 95% only suffer mild symptoms …

That shows protection.

That being said. Those same people who have covid who have take. the vaccine could have also been fine without it (assumption based on the numbers above) I can’t prove that obviously due to the fact that we will never know.

I guess my point is that the immune system in your body is badass - and fights off diseases every day and kicks it in the ass.

I think we have lost ourselves when we say that the vaccination is the only way to beat this when most do anyway.

I think the vulnerable and the elderly need it. I just think we are giving too much credit to it when covid existed before vaccines and there was a very high recovery rate and we know it killed off people that were super vulnerable.

Not a vaccine hate post - but also need to add some perspective because I think we have tipped over to the other side of, if you didn’t get a vaccine you are stupid and selfish and should have no rights.
Getting the vaccine also reduces the likelihood that you pass it to an individual who isn't as healthy, or just has the wrong DNA for this virus.

Your take is a pretty narrow view of a multi layered thing.
[Reply]
O.city 07:57 AM 09-09-2021
Yes your immune system is pretty awesome. It's alot better if it has a roadmap of where to go (the vaccine) once it's time to drive.
[Reply]
carlos3652 08:00 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Getting the vaccine also reduces the likelihood that you pass it to an individual who isn't as healthy, or just has the wrong DNA for this virus.

The bold is not true based on studies that show that vaccinated and unvaccinated have the same viral load. (Pretty sure there was a press conference with Faucci and the CDC where they stated this. maybe I have outdated information and need to read up)

Ill give you my personal example.

90% of my family is vaccinated.

My wife, due to us trying to get pregnant is not. She is a teacher and we are concerned that it will be mandated at some point. If it is, she will take it, and we will probably wait to have kids for a bit.

Based on recommendation from our Dr, we have not taken the vaccine. Our doctor wanted additional studies to come out with regards to safety for pregnancies. Our doctor recommends that we wait for the third trimester if we do get pregnant to get it.

One of the studies can be found here:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2104983

"Data on pregnancy loss are based on 827 participants in the v-safe pregnancy registry who received an mRNA Covid-19 vaccine (BNT162b2 [Pfizer–BioNTech] or mRNA-1273 [Moderna]) from December 14, 2020, to February 28, 2021, and who reported a completed pregnancy. A total of 700 participants (84.6%) received their first eligible dose in the third trimester. Data on neonatal outcomes are based on 724 live-born infants, including 12 sets of multiples."

"Among 827 participants who had a completed pregnancy, the pregnancy resulted in a live birth in 712 (86.1%), in a spontaneous abortion in 104 (12.6%), in stillbirth in 1 (0.1%), and in other outcomes (induced abortion and ectopic pregnancy) in 10 (1.2%)."

So of the 127 participants that were vaccinated prior to the third trimester, 104 of them experienced a loss before week 20.

That told us that we should wait.

Also, do you remember when they announced the JJ had some clotting issues and 6 people were affected. 1 of them was our friend (teacher from school) and we had multiple people who took the JJ (including family) that had bad experiences after they had taken (within weeks of the shot). So the JJ is out for us based on that.

But my parents took the Pfizer which seems very effective.
[Reply]
TLO 08:00 AM 09-09-2021

Real-world data out of Ontario, Canada regarding vaccine effectiveness (reduction associated with full vaccination) shows:

•Against Infection: 85.1%
•Against Hospitalization: 96.3%
•Against ICU Admission: 98%

Delta is currently the most prevalent variant in Ontario.

— Chise 🧬🧫🦠💉 (@sailorrooscout) September 9, 2021

[Reply]
carlos3652 08:04 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...evels-of-virus

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...tudy-says.html

here is the bit of news i read on it.
[Reply]
TLO 08:05 AM 09-09-2021
Woke up this morning, not feeling the best. Stuffy nose, minor headache. Didn't sleep worth a damn last night.

Went to the pharmacy and bought a rapid test off the shelf for $45. 15 minutes later it tells me I'm negative. I go about my day.

The availability of the rapid antigen tests are wonderful, but $45? C'mon we should be able to do better than that.
[Reply]
O.city 08:07 AM 09-09-2021
The bold is not true based on studies that show that vaccinated and unvaccinated have the same viral load. (Pretty sure there was a press conference with Faucci and the CDC where they stated this. maybe I have outdated information and need to read up)

Ill give you my personal example.

90% of my family is vaccinated.

My wife, due to us trying to get pregnant is not. She is a teacher and we are concerned that it will be mandated at some point. If it is, she will take it, and we will probably wait to have kids for a bit.

Based on recommendation from our Dr, we have not taken the vaccine. Our doctor wanted additional studies to come out with regards to safety for pregnancies. Our doctor recommends that we wait for the third trimester if we do get pregnant to get it.

One of the studies can be found here:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2104983

"Data on pregnancy loss are based on 827 participants in the v-safe pregnancy registry who received an mRNA Covid-19 vaccine (BNT162b2 [Pfizer–BioNTech] or mRNA-1273 [Moderna]) from December 14, 2020, to February 28, 2021, and who reported a completed pregnancy. A total of 700 participants (84.6%) received their first eligible dose in the third trimester. Data on neonatal outcomes are based on 724 live-born infants, including 12 sets of multiples."

"Among 827 participants who had a completed pregnancy, the pregnancy resulted in a live birth in 712 (86.1%), in a spontaneous abortion in 104 (12.6%), in stillbirth in 1 (0.1%), and in other outcomes (induced abortion and ectopic pregnancy) in 10 (1.2%)."

So of the 127 participants that were vaccinated prior to the third trimester, 104 of them experienced a loss before week 20.

That told us that we should wait.

Also, do you remember when they announced the JJ had some clotting issues and 6 people were affected. 1 of them was our friend (teacher from school) and we had multiple people who took the JJ (including family) that had bad experiences after they had taken (within weeks of the shot). So the JJ is out for us based on that.

But my parents took the Pfizer which seems very effective.
In regards to the spreading, if you are protected from ever actually becoming infected, you are going to spread it less. So, yes, vaccinated people will spread the virus less as they are less likely to be infected.

We also know their viral load comes down quicker, so you have less of a window for spread.

There have also been studies that have shown an increased in still born and preterm births from infections with Sars Cov 2, so in the end it's good to weigh that with your doctor.

In terms of the rest of your post, I am very sorry to hear that. I haven't done a whole lot of reading on the J and J shot as it wasn't really available in my area and I don't know of anyone who has gotten it. I know when we have things that touch us personally, it can be hard to look at the entirety of a situation.

I struggled with that with Covid itself as my family had a really difficult time with it, but realize it hasn't been that way across the spectrum. It makes it tough when people who aren't in your situation look down upon it, so to speak. I believe the way we discuss these things these days online or on social media take the humanity out of situations and it's easier to just throw whatever unemotional, non empathetic garbage at each other we feel.

But that's not how we are. I refuse to believe that's humanity.

So I do understand and can relate to your personal feelings towards vaccination.
[Reply]
carlos3652 08:07 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Woke up this morning, not feeling the best. Stuffy nose, minor headache. Didn't sleep worth a damn last night.

Went to the pharmacy and bought a rapid test off the shelf for $45. 15 minutes later it tells me I'm negative. I go about my day.

The availability of the rapid antigen tests are wonderful, but $45? C'mon we should be able to do better than that.
Convenience.

You could drive by a Rapid Test location for free through your insurance provider. (done that a few times)

We had to pay $125 for travel ones (PCR test) . (To go to Hawaii)
[Reply]
loochy 08:09 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:

We recently bought a bunch from amazon...the abbots were $20 for a 2 pack. We bought 5 boxes since we anticipated needing to do a lot of tests this year (first graders get all kinds of colds and sniffles).
[Reply]
carlos3652 08:11 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
In regards to the spreading, if you are protected from ever actually becoming infected, you are going to spread it less. So, yes, vaccinated people will spread the virus less as they are less likely to be infected.

We also know their viral load comes down quicker, so you have less of a window for spread.

There have also been studies that have shown an increased in still born and preterm births from infections with Sars Cov 2, so in the end it's good to weigh that with your doctor.

In terms of the rest of your post, I am very sorry to hear that. I haven't done a whole lot of reading on the J and J shot as it wasn't really available in my area and I don't know of anyone who has gotten it. I know when we have things that touch us personally, it can be hard to look at the entirety of a situation.

I struggled with that with Covid itself as my family had a really difficult time with it, but realize it hasn't been that way across the spectrum. It makes it tough when people who aren't in your situation look down upon it, so to speak. I believe the way we discuss these things these days online or on social media take the humanity out of situations and it's easier to just throw whatever unemotional, non empathetic garbage at each other we feel.

But that's not how we are. I refuse to believe that's humanity.

So I do understand and can relate to your personal feelings towards vaccination.
Yea, I let the professionals do their things... I don't have an issue with people taking the vaccine or not.

What I do not want to get to, is the point where we lose our rights (like in France, Canada, Germany, Israel) to be able to go to a grocery store and buy essentials for my family based on a vaccination status. That does not seem right.

Otherwise. I think Vaccines are great for those that their Dr's recommend.
[Reply]
O.city 08:13 AM 09-09-2021
Yea, I let the professionals do their things... I don't have an issue with people taking the vaccine or not.

What I do not want to get to, is the point where we lose our rights (like in France, Canada, Germany, Israel) to be able to go to a grocery store and buy essentials for my family based on a vaccination status. That does not seem right.

Otherwise. I think Vaccines are great for those that their Dr's recommend.
I don't think it will get to that point, nor should it here.

It may be mandated by businesses or something, which I'm not exactly sure how I feel about, depending on the area of work etc.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:15 AM 09-09-2021
Here's the thing.

I don't understand how protecting your neighbor became a political argument.

Maybe you are confident you'd be fine and get through covid. But what about every single person you come in contact with?

If everybody gets the vaccine, then we can all get on with our lives as relatively normal.

Without it, ICU's are full and not only are people dying of covid, but there's not adequate resources for ANYONE who needs medical care for any reason due to the massive burden on the medical sector.

Just get the damned shot. We live in a society. We interact with each other. Rugged individualism, yeah, yeah-but you don't exist in a vacuum. Why is such a small thing to do such a problem? Is a couple of shots (or just one even) so much to ask to not kill the greeter at Wal-Mart? Or the lady in front of you in line at the gas station? Or her spouse who's a cancer patient?

Why do people not understand that it's not all about YOU. It's about everyone you come in contact with, and everyone they come in contact with and so on and so on.

This is madness.
[Reply]
TLO 08:15 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
We recently bought a bunch from amazon...the abbots were $20 for a 2 pack. We bought 5 boxes since we anticipated needing to do a lot of tests this year (first graders get all kinds of colds and sniffles).
The Abbott's BinaxNOW's are sold out all over town. Nothing but empty display cases. Ended up buying the Ellume test. Didn't realize these tests had such high accuracy ratings. Pretty impressive.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:19 AM 09-09-2021
I thought this article in the NY Times was a good read. In short, the messaging on all of this continues to kind of suck. Places are reinstating mask mandates when the reality is, if you're vaccinated, you have very, very little to be worried about.

“How small are the chances of the average vaccinated American contracting Covid?” @DLeonhardt writes in The Morning newsletter. “Probably about one in 5,000 per day.”

Read more about the likelihood of breakthrough infections.https://t.co/t1S0QifXlV

— The New York Times (@nytimes) September 7, 2021

[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:23 AM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I thought this article in the NY Times was a good read. In short, the messaging on all of this continues to kind of suck. Places are reinstating mask mandates when the reality is, if you're vaccinated, you have very, very little to be worried about.

Well yeah, but the mask mandates are an attempt to protect the unvaccinated, which is incredibly frustrating because they don't seem to care enough to protect themselves by and large.

Meanwhile, I'm dissolving my small production company next month and selling off all the equipment for pennies on the dollar because the plague has now cost me two years of work.

Just get the damned shots, people.
[Reply]
Page 3720 of 3903
« First < 2720322036203670371037163717371837193720 3721372237233724373037703820 > Last »
Up