ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3670 of 3903
« First < 2670317035703620366036663667366836693670 3671367236733674368037203770 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 09:02 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:

Can one of you statistically inclined fellas explain Simpsons paradox to me

I'm not going to pretend to understand all this. But I believe the answer to your question is in here.

https://www.covid-datascience.com/po...are-vaccinated
[Reply]
carlos3652 09:02 AM 08-19-2021

That over 50 years old number is ridiculous for unvaxxed. The under 50 looks not too bad at all.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:39 AM 08-19-2021

I don't fully understand it, but the illustrations on the right side of this page help a little bit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_paradox

Essentially, there is a causal relationship between age and severity of illness (e.g., older people are more likely to be hospitalized), and just throwing them all into one bucket makes the assumption that that relationship doesn't exist. So you end up with the efficacy numbers overall looking bad for all age groups when the reality is that you just threw a ton of people who were more likely to be seriously ill in the first place into the mix.

In short, this is an example of why random people on the internet like us should just step back and let the experts deal with it.

(And also, the vaccines work. Big surprise.)
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
That over 50 years old number is ridiculous for unvaxxed. The under 50 looks not too bad at all.
Ridiculous how?
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't fully understand it, but the illustrations on the right side of this page help a little bit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_paradox

Essentially, there is a causal relationship between age and severity of illness (e.g., older people are more likely to be hospitalized), and just throwing them all into one bucket makes the assumption that that relationship doesn't exist. So you end up with the efficacy numbers overall looking bad for all age groups when the reality is that you just threw a ton of people who were more likely to be seriously ill in the first place into the mix.

In short, this is an example of why random people on the internet like us should just step back and let the experts deal with it.

(And also, the vaccines work. Big surprise.)
I remember the word Cofounder from biostats. Thats literally the end of my knowledge there.
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 08-19-2021
Just a heads up for those not immune, if you get Covid, get to the monoclonal AB's quick. The sooner you can get them, the better. Once you're into the illness, it's not going to be as helpful.
[Reply]
carlos3652 10:07 AM 08-19-2021
Ridiculous how?
There are not a lot of unvaxxed people left in Israel ages 50+. They are getting severely sick at a much higher rate than the vaxxed.

But then I realized the context that only 0.1% of the 185k unvaxxed were severely ill

So I retract "ridiculous". The vaccine shows good effectiveness vs the virus for the 50+ age range for those that do get sick severely.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 08-19-2021

Great chart of how the perceived decline in vaccine effectiveness might be driven, largely or in part, by Simpson's Paradox*

*ie: in which efficacy vs. hospitalization for specific age cohorts is actually MUCH HIGHER than efficacy for the total population pic.twitter.com/5PJPWK3GJq

— Derek Thompson (@DKThomp) August 19, 2021

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:23 AM 08-19-2021
Fantastic example. Thanks!
[Reply]
O.city 10:25 AM 08-19-2021
So I'm way out of my element with this statistical stuff. I have no damn clue how to quantify any of it.
[Reply]
TLO 10:27 AM 08-19-2021
So I'm way out of my element with this statistical stuff. I have no damn clue how to quantify any of it.
It makes my brain hurt. :-)
[Reply]
MIAdragon 12:39 PM 08-19-2021
The GF who’s wildly healthy is JUST starting to feel better. She wasn’t never had to go to the ER but was bed ridden for almost a week.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:04 PM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
It makes my brain hurt. :-)

Originally Posted by DaFace:

[Reply]
Lzen 01:18 PM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
....many thousands of doctors, scientists and other experts, including the inventor of the technology, have the same concerns.....
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
....For me personally, I would rather put my trust in the science than take a chance with Covid. No one knows the long term consequences of that either.
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
....ETA: Robert Whatshisname isn't really the inventory of mRNA despite his recent claims. He was involved in the early, early research and that's about it. In fact he or one of his associates altered Wiki to add his name to it right before he started making the claims with no backup. Then the Wiki entry was reverted to what it was before on a fact check, and then he claimed people were trying to silence him by deleting his name.
As I'm reading through this thread, I just have many more questions. Where is the link (proof) of thousands of Drs. and scientists who have concerns?

And the wiki thing puts a new perspective on things, certainly. Then again, who's to say that his claim that they were trying to silence him is not true? You're choosing who to believe either way and that could be wrong.

In the end, I kind of agree with what dirk said here. I weighed the odds and it seems that my odds were going to be better by getting the vaccine, and so I did. Now that doesn't mean that I still don't have some concerns about long term effects, of which we really don't know at this time.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:22 PM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
This shit is so confounding to me.

People used to say they weren't scared of covid because it had a .2% mortality rate. (count me as one of them)

Now they point at a possible .0006% mortality rate for the vaccine and call it dangerous.

I know hundreds of vaccinated people if you count employees here, none have gotten severely ill from it or had anything but side effects making them feel like shit.

I know of 6 unvaccinated employees hospitalized since July 1, 3 in ICU at one point and a friend who almost died of it at 30 years old. That's 7-0 keeping score.

I mean the data is right in front of me yet I keep seeing people thinking shit that's just crazy. A friend of mine calls the vaccine the "poison death shot". :-)
That was also part of my thinking. I have known a lot of people who got vaccinated and have had no lasting side effects. Admittedly, that made it easier for me to decide to get vaccinated. Could it cause issues months or years down the road? Maybe. Maybe not. We just don't really know. But then again, the long lasting effects of Covid could do that, as well. There is just a lot that we don't know right now. I made a decision that my best odds were to get this vaccine.
[Reply]
Page 3670 of 3903
« First < 2670317035703620366036663667366836693670 3671367236733674368037203770 > Last »
Up