ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Nzoner's Game Room>Perhaps an unpopular opinion - I don't like the holidays
TLO 08:09 AM 11-23-2021
This is kind of hard to talk about, and I'm not certain of the words to explain why I don't like them.

Anyone else feel the same way?
[Reply]
Buddy Rich 10:53 AM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My sister escalated. I didn't respond to her final eight or so text messages because they were bat-guano crazy. (And on a side note, after 26 messages bashing me and my family, they ended with 'you need to visit more often'. Uh, no.)

She then removed my wife from the family group chat on Facebook. Okay, so that's a public thing and it forces a public response. If I have a choice between my wife and my negative role-model relatives who I have to keep at arm's length anyway for my own sanity, that's not really a choice. I'm picking my wife 1,000 times out of 1,000. So I bid the group adieu and dropped out. Now she's saying that I made her look bad by dropping out, and she's going to lie to the relatives about why she removed my wife.

I really enjoy the holidays. They give me a warm feeling knowing that I'm 500 miles away from all of the negative people in my life. I think that was my last holiday ever in Missouri.
Your sister sounds hot.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:59 AM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm still trying with my sister. Ultimately, there's really no divorcing her, so I have to get along.

You're almost certainly right, but I've resigned myself to the idea that some people have to want to change their lives (in this case, being insufferable), so no amount of kindness is going to change.

And allow me to be real here for a minute. I've mentioned her on here before, I've literally talked about her relative to how the holidays make me feel with precisely 2 people. My wife, and 1 buddy that I'm close enough to to understand. It's a pretty dangerous game to play to run around a town of 3500 people hollering about "**** the Holidays, my sister is a ****!". Smart money is the nuance won't transfer to most people.

Talking about it on here was legitimately cathartic. Other than you, nobody has commented negatively on my position here. There are almost certainly dudes that read what I wrote that are thinking, "seriously? This ****ing guy?" Moreover, hearing that other people have similar situations, is really helpful, because when you're doing things like absolutely hating holidays - when you absolutely should not - makes me feel like a piece of shit. Even though I'm damned confident in myself and what I've done in my life, it's still awfully lonely when you hate holidays, especially as long as my family stretches it out.

If I'm being truly honest with myself, this thread has helped me quite a bit.

But yeah, I'm making it a point not to make a habit out of expressing those opinions.

Beull...you're a rock solid guy, that's never been in question.

I apologize if you felt my comment was negative, as that wasn't my intention. More of an exhortation.

I've got stories I could tell about the (current)holidays that are pathetically sad. I just choose not to go down that road and let them steal my joy.

People are going to do what they are going to do. Sad, but true. I've learned this the hard way

At least by being kind, you've done your part, and not compounded the problem. That way she's stuck with her own behavior and you've given her no ammo.

That said, I feel you man, and I'm confident "you'll land on your feet"

:-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:46 PM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Buddy Rich:
Your sister sounds hot.
You're in luck, because she's single!
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:49 PM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeesh. You might win the bad sister award.

My parents are still around and want the holiday to happen, so that’s probably off the table.

Just a word of advice, I’d probably reach out to the other members of the family and let them know.
I'd cede the award to you based on what I'm hearing. Mine is a queen and she rules her world with no mercy or remorse, but her range is small. As a peasant in an outlying province I can generally avoid persecution. I only mentioned this story because it happened in the past few days.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:51 PM 11-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
You're in luck, because she's single!
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:49 AM 11-28-2021
Because Thanksgiving is a National Holiday and someone in office wanted a four day weekend so Black Friday is a paid holiday. I just worked 98 hours over time in two weeks 32 of that is premium overtime. I worked 178 hours in two weeks 96 just this week I'm pretty exhausted but have today and tomorrow off .

It was also crazy ass mother fuckers on the unit that just have to act up because they want attention and fake seizures come on at least piss your pants.

We also have a scream queen on the unit that sounds like a horror movie and someone is going get killed or eaten by a monster.

Good news heard we are getting a raise but it's temporary until we get up to adequate staffing then we lose that raise or it will drop off in 3 to 6 months so can't count on in long term but I'm thankful for a boost I need it. I worked my ass off even with my mental status going on a nice big check to pay for bankruptcy and tell my creditors to fuck off because I know I've paid more than I borrowed but the interest keeps you from ever paying them off.

My life has been a mess last 6 months and I just want to bounce back. I'm fucking tired.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:55 AM 11-28-2021
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Because Thanksgiving is a National Holiday and someone in office wanted a four day weekend so Black Friday is a paid holiday. I just worked 98 hours over time in two weeks 32 of that is premium overtime. I worked 178 hours in two weeks 96 just this week I'm pretty exhausted but have today and tomorrow off .

It was also crazy ass mother fuckers on the unit that just have to act up because they want attention and fake seizures come on at least piss your pants.

We also have a scream queen on the unit that sounds like a horror movie and someone is going get killed or eaten by a monster.

Good news heard we are getting a raise but it's temporary until we get up to adequate staffing then we lose that raise or it will drop off in 3 to 6 months so can't count on in long term but I'm thankful for a boost I need it. I worked my ass off even with my mental status going on a nice big check to pay for bankruptcy and tell my creditors to fuck off because I know I've paid more than I borrowed but the interest keeps you from ever paying them off.

My life has been a mess last 6 months and I just want to bounce back. I'm fucking tired.
Jesus, that's insane. I'm sure you'll love your next paycheck, but it won't do you any good if you drop dead before you can spend it.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:37 AM 11-28-2021
Originally Posted by Rasputin:

Brother those kind of hours are eventually going to eat you up, fat check or not :-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 09:46 AM 11-28-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Jesus, that's insane. I'm sure you'll love your next paycheck, but it won't do you any good if you drop dead before you can spend it.
I couldn't get so lucky.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Up