ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 73 of 223
« First < 23636970717273 7475767783123173 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:44 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Oh, that's not too bad!

You still lost the right to stand up to pee, though.
l agree it does look like a good cut of meat for Costco however, the man card must remain on probation pending review.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:46 PM 06-10-2018
Thawed out a bag of striper. Will blacken and bake shortly.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:50 PM 06-10-2018
Oh, that's not too bad!

You still lost the right to stand up to pee, though.
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
l agree it does look like a good cut of meat for Costco however, the man card must remain on probation pending review.
I lost that many years ago when I got married boys. My wife requested I start sitting down to pee after she complained of stepping in pee too many times in the bathroom.
[Reply]
cabletech94 02:56 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I lost that many years ago when I got married boys. My wife requested I start sitting down to pee after she complained of stepping in pee too many times in the bathroom.
just work on your aim a little more buddy. maybe you can put some cheerios into the bowl. i am here to help.

/nohomo.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:40 PM 06-10-2018
:-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:07 PM 06-10-2018
AF's words not mine :-)

Originally Posted by :
Crime Blotter: Brisket

1. Using the wrong cut of meat.
Proper Texas-style brisket is made with the “Packer” cut from a cow. Many grocery stores will only sell the “flat” cut, which has the fatty point cut off the meat. “You really need that fatty half on there. If you only have that flat cut, then you’re just going to be doing a Jewish-style, pot-roasty kind of thing,” says Franklin. Most butchers will be able to provide this cut of meat.
https://www.foodandwine.com/articles...aaron-franklin
[Reply]
srvy 04:15 PM 06-10-2018
Hot sauce lovers.

Today I was thinking of longtime 61 country morning DJ David Lawrence who passed in early May from ALS and today is celebration of life and fundraiser For Mr Lawrence and ALS at P&L district. Got me thinking about the hot sauce he always spoke so highly of on air Inner Beauty Hot Sauce.

I did a search as you used to buy it bottle but I had no luck finding. I had this many time years past and was turned onto it by my KCBS judge buddy. It won awards at the American Royal BBQ rub and baste category. I found the chef through search and he stopped bottling years back but released recipe so I thought I would post.

Ingredients
2 cups Scotch Bonnet peppers (no stem)
1 ripe mango
⅔ cup inexpensive yellow mustard
⅓ cup orange juice
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground curry
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons salt
Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

Now I got to get out and find scotch bonnet peppers.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:32 PM 06-11-2018
Sorry, I've been off diving.

What they said. And don't panic, you're not going to burn much at 200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:18 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Sorry, I've been off diving.

What they said. And don't panic, you're not going to burn much at 200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
yeah l bet every single smoker panicked on their first brisket. Probably did a few successful smokes. Did good on some ribs and a butt. And then the temp spikes. :-)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:34 PM 06-11-2018
The very first thing I smoked was a packers brisket.

I think I was so fucking dumb, I just let it ride because I didn't know better and it turned out good by pure luck.

Next couple times I tried to cook em like I was a fucking brisket whisperer and it sucked. I finally settled in and things were good after.
[Reply]
Nickhead 06-12-2018, 01:56 AM
This message has been deleted by Nickhead.
Nickhead 01:58 AM 06-12-2018
im being a negative nancy for the moment as i haven't busted out the smoker in more than 4 months. it's just turned winter, not overly cold, but the lack of daylight seriously gets me during the winter months.

so with that said:

in 8 days or so, your days (summer solstice) will be getting shorter, while ours (winter solstice) will be getting longer :-)

it will still be another 4 months until you and i have the same length of days and temps, but ....

remember those 8:30 pm sunsets now :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 06:06 AM 06-12-2018
Just depends how fast they sell at your club. I've had a brisket sit in my fridge for 3 weeks before and still wasn't quite at expiration date when I got around to cooking it.

With beef it's generally ideal to let it sit out for an hour before cooking, but I generally don't bother with this since it's cooking low and slow so I'm not overly concerned.

Generally what I do is start out by pulling the brisket out, rinsing it off and patting it down with paper towels and pulling off all the really loose shit

From there, I grab my knife and start to trim up. Generally its suggested to trim the fat down to 1/4" but I'm a bit more conservative than that. That really comes down to personal preference.

Do at least get rid of the 'harder' fat because it just isn't going to render out and will shield off the smoke from the meat.

I also slice off a small bit from a corner so I have a good idea how to slice post cook.

At that point I apply my rub.

After that I fire up the grill and let it get up to temp. Probe the brisket up, throw it on and once I know everything is good...this is usually the point where I go to bed.
Getting my shit ready mentally.

What temp do I pull at? You guys cooking at 225? I only foil once meat has reached temp, correct? 6lb flat, so start around 5 a.m. if wanting to eat around 5-6 pm?
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:29 AM 06-12-2018
Getting my shit ready mentally.

What temp do I pull at? You guys cooking at 225? I only foil once meat has reached temp, correct? 6lb flat, so start around 5 a.m. if wanting to eat around 5-6 pm?
It varies but I usually let it go until 195. Start early.

I usually foil after 3 hours. It will prevent it from drying out. You sacrifice bark but you’re not going to get a lot in a Masterbuilt anyway.

If it’s foiled you can cheat on the heat some but IIRC my masterbuilt only goes to 250.

12 hours should get it but sometimes the bastards just won’t finish. Beef is more dense than pork so sometimes it will just freaking sit there. I usually start it at night, say 10, then foil it at midnight. And it’s done way too early but if you leave it foiled and in the oven at the lowest setting it’s fine. You can also start it at like midnight and get up early and foil it. That works better but I hate getting up early.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:58 AM 06-12-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It varies but I usually let it go until 195. Start early.

I usually foil after 3 hours. It will prevent it from drying out. You sacrifice bark but you’re not going to get a lot in a Masterbuilt anyway.

If it’s foiled you can cheat on the heat some but IIRC my masterbuilt only goes to 250.

12 hours should get it but sometimes the bastards just won’t finish. Beef is more dense than pork so sometimes it will just freaking sit there. I usually start it at night, say 10, then foil it at midnight. And it’s done way too early but if you leave it foiled and in the oven at the lowest setting it’s fine. You can also start it at like midnight and get up early and foil it. That works better but I hate getting up early.
Interesting. My Masterbuilt goes to 275. So foil after 3-4 hours once you’re done smoking, rest is just heat. Got it. 6lbs isn’t a big slab so I was thinking 12 hours should do it, no?

Any way to get a little bark on it?
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:11 AM 06-12-2018
Interesting. My Masterbuilt goes to 275. So foil after 3-4 hours once you’re done smoking, rest is just heat. Got it. 6lbs isn’t a big slab so I was thinking 12 hours should do it, no?

Any way to get a little bark on it?
Like I said, it should. I hate to say, "yep it will" and you're sitting at 180 after 12 hours and then you drive to Kansas and lay a whoppin on me.

I've never went after bark. I've read about people getting it on the grill and getting some that way, but I think it would be risky. If you have it at pulling temp, it may fall apart then you have a goddamned mess.
[Reply]
Page 73 of 223
« First < 23636970717273 7475767783123173 > Last »
Up