ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Macs suck...need help
displacedinMN 07:27 PM 10-04-2022
We have M1 macs at school. They can handle two monitors.

I NEED THREE

Computer monitor/second monitor/Promethian board

along with some USB ports and my 10 key.

What have you used to extend your macs onto more screens. Hopefully 100 or less.

Thanks
[Reply]
Fish 07:49 PM 10-04-2022
The only M1/M2 models that can support more than 1 external monitor are the M1/M2 Macbook Pro Max or Ultra, M1 Mac Mini, or Studio.

Your only option is a paid solution called DisplayLink.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-Displa.../dp/B09R2KMB42
[Reply]
Fish 07:56 PM 10-04-2022
Note, a dock with Thunderbolt/USB-C will not work. We get that all the time at work. It will only mirror the main display on any additional monitor.

The shitty thing is that the devices are hardware capable of supporting more external displays. Apple just limits them so they can sell more Max/Ultra models.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:17 PM 10-04-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Note, a dock with Thunderbolt/USB-C will not work. We get that all the time at work. It will only mirror the main display on any additional monitor.

The shitty thing is that the devices are hardware capable of supporting more external displays. Apple just limits them so they can sell more Max/Ultra models.
I have a Macbook Air with dual USB-C ports.

Cant believe they gave us such shitty stuff. they will not let me use my own windows computer
[Reply]
Fish 08:23 PM 10-04-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I have a Macbook Air with dual USB-C ports.

Cant believe they gave us such shitty stuff. they will not let me use my own windows computer
Well, an M1 Macbook Air isn't necessarily shitty, outside of its inability to connect more than 1 external monitor. But, I totally get what you're feeling. To sell a $1K+ computer, but limit it's capabilities for marketing and aesthetic reasons is straight bullshit. Sorry. Wish I had a better solution.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:31 PM 10-04-2022
what about

https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Stati...2-63e904010ad0
[Reply]
Fish 08:52 PM 10-04-2022
what about

https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Stati...2-63e904010ad0
Sorry, nope. Note that they specifically say "Dual" monitor. This would work for 1 additional external display, but no more. The guy that purchases hardware for my department made the same mistake with this very exact issue and ordered a bunch of Dell docks that he thought would work, and pissed off many users when I had to correct him.

You would need to buy the physical adapter in my link above, and use the DisplayLink software. That're really the only way.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10-05-2022, 07:38 PM
This message has been deleted by displacedinMN. Reason: x
Fish 08:02 PM 10-05-2022
Looks like that might work. It says DisplayLink, so I'm assuming that's true. It's Amazon, so if it doesn't you should be able to return it for free.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:22 PM 10-05-2022
I deleted the post but have the item in my list.
[Reply]
Fish 09:58 PM 10-05-2022
I deleted the post but have the item in my list.
Umm. OK. Hope it works for you.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:47 AM 10-06-2022
Macs don't suck.

Sounds like your purchasing department didn't fully vet your requirements before buying hardware.

:-)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:35 AM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Macs don't suck.

Sounds like your purchasing department didn't fully vet your requirements before buying hardware.

The last tech guy here went on a ten minute lecture about why mac users do not need more than one screen. Clearly, he had not been a teacher.

Yet his desk had 3.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:40 AM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Macs don't suck.

Macs are for those who don't/can't actually use a computer for useful things. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:54 AM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Macs are for those who don't/can't actually use a computer for useful things. :-)

I know one thing that is useful.

12:53 up 181 days
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:00 PM 10-06-2022
The last tech guy here went on a ten minute lecture about why mac users do not need more than one screen. Clearly, he had not been a teacher.

Yet his desk had 3.
Yeah, that's not a Mac failing.

Your tech guy was a dick.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up