ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 84
« First < 4445051525354 5556575864 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>*** 2022 Mock Draft Megathread ***
duncan_idaho 12:45 PM 11-23-2021
Got a mock? Pop it in this thread. Include a picture if you want. Explain your reasoning if you want. Talk about your crushes... if you want.

See a good "pro" mock? Link it up in here and I'll add it to the OP.

Duncan's latest mock

Site
The Draft Network This mock seems to be the most accurate site right now, so I go with this one. I don't pay for it, so no trades here. The plan is for this to be my last mock. I'm going to do it differently, though. I'm running 3 scenarios, and eschewing the 7th round picks, which I would use on a big swings on athleticism and potential. Lotto tickets. James Houston IV is one of them. Note: I used PFF to simulate the trade action, then manually backed up in the 2 "trade" drafts to make selections. Laborious, but gives you best of both worlds, IMO. I think PFF's trade tool is the best, but its board is whack.

Draft slot: 29

Scenario 1: The Chiefs sit pat with their picks and don't make any moves at all. Seems the least likely, but hey...
1.29 | George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue.
1.30 | Boye Mafe, DE, Minnesota.
2.50 | George Pickens, WR, Georgia.
2.62 | Travis Jones, DT, UConn.
3.94 | Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State.
3.103(Comp for Poles) | Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State.
4.121 | Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati.
4.135 | Velus Jones, Jr., Tennessee

Scenario 1 Debrief:
So, sitting and waiting to see what comes to me was pretty successful here. The Chiefs FLOOD the defensive line with reinforcements, including at least 1 ready-made starter and two guys who should - at minimum - be in 50/50 rotations at their spots by year end. The Chiefs still get a big outside WR with tantalizing potential. They add some crazy athletic small-school guys, and a mid-round corner who just fits in the system, and a dynamo return man who might be more at WR.

This looks pretty good. Though I have a hard time believing Karlaftis just falls to 29...

Scenario 2: The Chiefs get aggressive and trade up. But for what? In this case, let's go wide receiver. In this run, Kansas City trades picks 29, 62, and a 2023 3rd to Houston for pick 13 and a 2023 4th, because they ARE as obsessed with a WR as people expect and are aggressive to go get him when the board falls right. They then trade BACK from 30 to 35 with the Jets, also including pick 94 in order to get 69 back. Then, last but not least, KC gets aggressive one more time and moves 103 and 121 for 85 from New England, leaving the Chiefs with 6 picks in the first four rounds.
1.13 | Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama.
2.35 | Cam Thomas, DE, San Diego State.
2.50 | Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor.
3.69 | Zachary Carter, DT, Florida.
3.85 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
4.135 | Jaylen Watson, CB, Washington State

Scenario 2 Debrief:
I'm not saying KC should do this or even that I think they will (more on that in a few minutes). I'm just saying, man, what will it look like if the Chiefs get aggressive a few times AND are doing the big move for a WR? In this scenario, KC obviously believes Williams is a game-changer at the NFL level and is taking a small 2022 hit to make 2023+ better. The defensive line still gets reinforced, but the reinforcements are all a shade worse than the sit-pat draft option. If you like Kingsley Enagbare or Josh PAscal more than Thomas, I get it and wouldn't quibble at one of those guys instead. Logan Hall, too. Pitre is such a screaming perfect fit for KC's D. Carter is a great physical talent you can dream about coaching up. Williams' utility is known and gives them a true RE option to pair against their higher-drafted bigger guy. Watson is a developmental corner.

I don't love it. I think Pitre makes the secondary a lot better and makes it easier to move on from Thornhill after 22. They have improved the defensive rotation, though one of the DEs would need to outperform expectations in Year 1 to get it to the same level as Scenario 1. In all, giving up the 2 extra selections in the top 4 rounds hurts the depth you can build, but I think it's more like what KC will do.

Scenario 3: Same movements as #2
1.13 | Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State.
2.35 | Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State.
2.50 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
3.69 | Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati.
3.85 | Martin Emerson, CB, Miss. State.
4.135 | Braxton Jones, T, Southern Utah

Scenario 3 Debrief:
This is the type of situation where I see KC paying the price to move up... if Johnson falls this far, I'd be shocked if KC isn't aggressively moving up. With this run, I take a risky but high upside WR in Watson (but you could sub in Pickens or Jahan Dotson or Tolbert or Metchie or Skyy Moore or really any of those tier 2 guys here if you prefer). The secondary reinforcements aren't flashy but are good fits.

In this one, I think the plan has to become adding either another safety or corner in free agency before the season. Ideally, it's someone who can handle the slot and let Sneed thriver on the outside. The DL gets a major boost and some potential star power in Johnson and Williams, and the OL gets another T option and potential long-term starter to develop.

Having completed the exercise and looking at the scenariors, I like the first one the most. But it really does come down to how the board breaks.

Older mocks
Spoiler!

[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 11:20 AM 04-06-2022
Pro Football Network, I ended up standing pat on all picks. (not realistic obviously)

29: Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida
30: Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
50: Cameron Thomas, EDGE, SDSU
62: Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama
94: Nick Cross, S, Maryland
103: Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama (Keep that hyphenated thing going.)
121: Dominique Robinson, EDGE, Miami-OH (My steal of the draft.)
135: Tyler Goodson, RB, Iowa (My homer reach of the draft.)
233: Julian Turner, DT, Rutgers
243: Logan Bruss, OT, Wisconsin
251: Tycen Anderson, S, Toledo
259: Jeremiah Moon, LB, Florida
[Reply]
BossChief 11:38 AM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I just started simulating today, but is it just me or is the value sweet spot in this draft before 20 and between 35-70?
I mostly agree with that but I’d widen out from 35-90.

I end up being happiest with the drafts that include a couple trade downs to add picks within that range.

It’s crazy how far apart the grades are for almost every prospect between these sites. You do TDN and half the time Drake or Karlaftis fall to us. 1 out of 10 Johnson falls to us. 1 in 20 Jameson Williams falls to us. Ojabo falls to us almost every single time. The trades on that network are hard to move up with. On the PFF one, it’s far easier to move up and far few big timers fall to us, but there are always 2-3 really good CBs available.

It just shows how all over the place everyone’s value is.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:39 AM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I mostly agree with that but I’d widen out from 35-90.

I end up being happiest with the drafts that include a couple trade downs to add picks within that range.

It’s crazy how far apart the grades are for almost every prospect between these sites. You do TDN and half the time Drake or Karlaftis fall to us. 1 out of 10 Johnson falls to us. 1 in 20 Jameson Williams falls to us. Ojabo falls to us almost every single time. The trades on that network are hard to move up with. On the PFF one, it’s far easier to move up and far few big timers fall to us, but there are always 2-3 really good CBs available.

It just shows how all over the place everyone’s value is.
Yeah, I haven't done any sims for a while because it's obvious there's no real consensus amongst them.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:55 AM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah, I haven't done any sims for a while because it's obvious there's no real consensus amongst them.
I’m addicted to doing them to see the different scenarios play out. This is quite possibly going to be the second most important draft in the last 40-50 years for the Chiefs. Gonna be a fun draft. It’s great having a GM that you KNOW is going to go to WORK and bring us some valuable presents on the 28th-30th.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:00 PM 04-06-2022
The Athletic 7 round mock for Chiefs...

https://theathletic.com/3232704/2022...ampaign=601983

Round 1, Pick 21: WR Jameson Williams, Alabama

Williams is a home run-type receiver and would be, in my opinion, a dinger of a selection for the Chiefs, especially superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes. On film, Williams is remarkably fast and a smooth route runner, skills that pair well with Mahomes’ gifted arm strength.

Before selecting Williams, I had the Chiefs execute a trade with the New England Patriots. In exchange for the 21st pick, the Chiefs sent the Patriots the 30th pick and the 94th pick (in the third round). Through this trade, the Chiefs would still have four selections through the draft’s first 62 picks. The Patriots, a team known for trading down in previous years, would have four picks among the first 94 spots.

This move also puts the Chiefs just one spot ahead of the Green Bay Packers, a contender that also needs to add a receiver after trading away star receiver Davante Adams to the Las Vegas Raiders last month. In The Athletic’s beat writer mock draft last week, the Packers selected Williams.

Listed at 6-foot-1 and 179 pounds, Williams is a deep threat with a prototypical frame that would help the Chiefs replace star receiver Tyreek Hill, who was traded last month to the Miami Dolphins.

The lone issue with Williams — and why he still could be available — is that he sustained a torn ACL in the national championship game. Before the injury, Williams recorded 79 receptions for 1,572 receiving yards and 15 receiving touchdowns in 15 starts. When Williams is fully healthy, which isn’t likely to be the case until his second season, he could be the Chiefs’ top skill-position player.

“He has special speed that forces defenses to adjust how they game-plan, which creates opportunities for the offense,” Brugler said last week of Williams.

The other top option, I felt, was Michigan defensive end David Ojabo, who sustained a torn Achilles last month during the school’s pro day. The Chiefs’ offense is the better unit on the roster to add a prospect like Williams, who can finish his rehab during the middle part of the upcoming season before becoming a situational weapon who will still be learning the offense.

In the beat writer mock draft, Ojabo was selected a few spots later with the Dallas Cowboys at No. 24. The Patriots, with the 29th pick, selected Florida cornerback Kaiir Elam.

Other notable prospects potentially available: linebacker Nakobe Dean (Georgia), center Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa), cornerback Andrew Booth Jr. (Clemson), safety Lewis Cine (Georgia), cornerback Kaiir Elam (Florida).

Round 1, Pick 30: DE Boye Mafe, Minnesota

Here’s one of the benefits of having two first-round picks: Whereas Williams is rehabbing an injury, Mafe, as the second selection, is capable of being an opening-day starter for the Chiefs. The Chiefs need to add both youth and athleticism to their pass rush, and Mafe, according to Pro Football Focus, earned the highest pass-rushing grade among edge defenders during the Senior Bowl practices.

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 261 pounds, Mafe has an intriguing blend of power and quickness. In 13 games last season, he recorded seven sacks and 10 tackles for loss.

“I can’t see Mafe falling beyond the top 50,” Brugler said last week. “Mafe might go as high as the top 25 because of his pass-rush potential, although I don’t have him ranked that high because his run-defending skills aren’t on the same level.”

The lone other prospect that provided a bit of a pause was Michigan’s Daxton Hill, a versatile player who could be the ideal nickel cornerback for defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. Hill has above-average ball skills, but Spagnuolo needs a strong collection of pass rushers. Mafe fits the team’s bigger need with this pick.

Other notable prospects potentially available: cornerback Jalen Pitre (Baylor), guard Zion Johnson (Boston College), defensive end Nik Bonitto (Oklahoma) and defensive end Arnold Ebiketie (Penn State).

Round 2, Pick 50: DE Drake Jackson, USC

As a junior last season, Jackson earned a 87.7 pass-rushing grade, according to Pro Football Focus. Why just add one defensive end when you can get another to be part of a rebuilding pass rush around star defensive tackle Chris Jones?

Jackson was the best prospect available, even though versatile defensive lineman Logan Hall (Houston) and defensive end Cameron Thomas (San Diego State) were also options. Last season, Jackson showed, even through injuries, his potential to be a developmental pass rusher in the NFL, as he recorded 37 tackles, a team-high eight tackles for losses, five sacks, one fumble recovery, one forced fumble, one interception and one pass breakup.

Without Mafe and Jackson, the Chiefs’ roster features just these defensive ends: Frank Clark, Mike Danna, Joshua Kaindoh, Jonathan Woodard, Austin Edwards and Malik Herring.

Even if Melvin Ingram returns, which is expected, the Chiefs could benefit from selecting two defensive ends within the first two rounds of the draft.

Other notable prospects potentially available: tackle Abraham Lucas (Washington State), running back Kenneth Walker (Michigan State), linebacker Brian Asamoah (Oklahoma) and linebacker Leo Chenal (Wisconsin).

Round 2, Pick 62: CB Martin Emerson, Mississippi State

Based on most analysts, this selection could appear to be a reach at No. 62. But I thought about Veach’s quote in March about how fast cornerbacks have been taken in previous drafts, especially as teams need more secondary defenders to compete in a pass-happy league.

“The corners are tough because those guys get pushed up, I think, more than any position — second-rounders going (in the) first, third-rounders going (in the) second,” Veach said. “That’ll always be something that’s in our mind.”

Emerson could be that projected third-rounder who is selected late in the second round. For the Chiefs, Emerson is already what the team wants in a cornerback, a long defender who can prevent deep completions on the perimeter. Listed at 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, Emerson has the tools to be a press-man cornerback, as he surrendered only one reception of 25-plus yards last season, according to Pro Football Focus.

By not selecting Hill earlier in the draft, Emerson is a nice alternative to play alongside veteran starters in L’Jarius Sneed and Rashad Fenton.

Other notable prospects potentially available: receiver Alec Pierce (Cincinnati), tackle Tyler Smith (Tulsa), defensive end Josh Paschal (Kentucky) and safety Kerby Joseph (Illinois).

Round 3, Pick 93: TE Greg Dulcich, UCLA

In order to move up to the 93rd pick, I have the Chiefs making a trade with the San Francisco 49ers, who received the 103rd pick and the 135th pick (fourth round). Such a move would allow the Chiefs to select five prospects before the 94th pick, which would be a strong accomplishment for the team.

This is a selection in favor of Nate Tice, The Athletic’s new NFL staff writer. I discovered Dulcich through Tice’s admiration of him. Tice, who could be my director of college scouting for this mock draft, has enjoyed Dulcich’s athleticism as both a receiver and a willing blocker.

Last season, Dulcich provided some of the Bruins’ best highlights, recording 42 receptions for 725 yards and five touchdowns in 12 starts. Adding Dulcich, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 243 pounds, would add to the already tight competition at the tight end position for training camp, joining star Travis Kelce, Blake Bell, Noah Gray and Jody Fortson.

Perhaps adding a running back would be a wise choice here, but Dulcich’s skills are too alluring to pass up.

Other notable prospects potentially available: tackle Kellen Diesch (Arizona State), running back Dameon Pierce (Florida) and running back James Cook (Georgia).

Round 4, Pick 121: CB Cordale Flott, LSU

Doubling up at cornerback is not a bad idea for the Chiefs. Flott is not a flashy player, but he has a nice frame (6-foot, 175 pounds) and was a two-year starter for the Tigers. With his long arms, Flott has the chance to develop with the Chiefs in a similar path to that of Charvarius Ward, who made continuous improvement as a press-man coverage cornerback under Spagnuolo.

Pro Football Focus has Flott as the 109th-best prospect, so his selection with the 121st pick comes with pretty good value.

Other notable prospects potentially available: tackle Zach Tom (Wake Forest), guard Marquis Hayes (Oklahoma) and running back Kyren Williams (Notre Dame).

Round 7, Pick 229) LB Aaron Hansford, Texas A&M

Round 7, Pick 233: OT Logan Bruss, Wisconsin

Another trade to report, folks, this time to end the Chiefs’ draft class. The Chiefs moved to the 229th pick by sending their three current seventh-round picks (Nos. 243, 251 and 259) to the Seattle Seahawks, who are in the midst of a rebuild in the aftermath of trading star quarterback Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos.

With these two selections, the hope is that Hansford can be a contributor on special teams and that Bruss is capable of developing into a quality backup, similar to Chiefs guard Nick Allegretti. Pro Football Focus has Hansford ranked as the 226th-best prospect and Bruss at 220.

Other notable prospects potentially available: running back Sincere McCormick (USTA), tackle Patrick Paul (Houston) and running back Kennedy Brooks (Oklahoma).
Overall

Once a franchise becomes a perennial contender, the easiest way for it to maintain that level of excellence is through strong draft classes. This projected class for the Chiefs would be yet another victory for Veach and Reid, a group of players who are capable of having similar success as the 2021 class (linebacker Nick Bolton, center Creed Humphrey and right guard Trey Smith) and 2019 class (receiver Mecole Hardman, free safety Juan Thornhill and Fenton).

By 2025, the Chiefs’ top five selections in this mock draft could all be starting: Williams, Mafe, Jackson, Emerson and Dulcich. Pro Football Focus agrees with such an assessment. When evaluating my trades and the prospects I selected, Pro Football Focus said such a draft class was worthy of a B+ overall grade. This mock proved that the Chiefs, with their 12 picks, have plenty of options to improve their roster and make a return to the Super Bowl.

(Photo of Jameson Williams: Brett Davis / USA Today)
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:04 PM 04-06-2022
Yuck.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:09 PM 04-06-2022
Condensed version...

Round 1, Pick 21: WR Jameson Williams, Alabama

Round 1, Pick 30: DE Boye Mafe, Minnesota

Round 2, Pick 50: DE Drake Jackson, USC

Round 2, Pick 62: CB Martin Emerson, Mississippi State

Round 3, Pick 93: TE Greg Dulcich, UCLA

Round 4, Pick 121: CB Cordale Flott, LSU

Round 7, Pick 229) LB Aaron Hansford, Texas A&M
Round 7, Pick 233: OT Logan Bruss, Wisconsin
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:14 PM 04-06-2022
Yuck.
Not what I had in mind but I could be happy with it.

Best WR in the draft plus a Stud TE, 2 more pass catchers!!

Two Damn good pass rushers!

Two CBs right about what we expect from Veach!

Lastly, two lottery tickets... While adding 6 players in the top 121.

Im not seeing yuck?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:18 PM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:

Im not seeing yuck?
The yuck is that the pass rushers are very similar players and aren't really guys you would pair at opposite ends.

And the CBs are both pretty big reaches.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:19 PM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:

Im not seeing yuck?
Injured WR, 24-year old rookie that doesn't fit the defense.

The first two picks are terrible IMO.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:19 PM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
The yuck is that the pass rushers are very similar players and aren't really guys you would pair at opposite ends.

And the CBs are both pretty big reaches.
Mafe by himself isn't a great pick and then you compound it by taking Jackson.

Not a fan at all.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:31 PM 04-06-2022
Injured WR, 24-year old rookie that doesn't fit the defense.

The first two picks are terrible IMO.
Again, this just simply isn’t true.

The age thing is a legit concern, but Mafe can definitely play WDE in this defense.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:33 PM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Again, this just simply isn’t true.

The age thing is a legit concern, but Mafe can definitely play WDE in this defense.
He CAN with some refinement. He needs to be developed into a down lineman and he's already 24 years old...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:56 PM 04-06-2022
Here's a fun challenge:

Go to The Draft Network and run a mock as if you had these picks (you basically have to scroll back through the list to those picks and do a little looking to make sure your target is available:

1.21 (acquired for 1.29 + 3.94 + 7.243)
2.37 (acquired with 3.80 and 6.183 for 1.30 and 3.103)
3.80 (see 2.37)
3.101 (acquired for 4.121 and 4.135)
6.183 (see 2.37)

That takes you down to 9 picks overall and 6 in the top 4 rounds instead of 8. Seems like what KC would do/will do with its capital. Trade up, trade down to recoup some value, trade up again.

Here's what I land with:

1.21 - Karlaftis
2.37 - Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma
2.50 - Jalen Pitre, S/CB, Baylor
2.62 - John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
3.80 - Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss
3.101 - Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati
6.183 - James Houston IV, LB/DE, Jackson State
7.233 - Tre Turner, WR, Va. TEch
7.251 - Smoke Monday, S, Auburn
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 04-06-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Here's a fun challenge:

Go to The Draft Network and run a mock as if you had these picks (you basically have to scroll back through the list to those picks and do a little looking to make sure your target is available:

1.21 (acquired for 1.29 + 3.94 + 7.243)
2.37 (acquired with 3.80 and 6.183 for 1.30 and 3.103)
3.80 (see 2.37)
3.101 (acquired for 4.121 and 4.135)
6.183 (see 2.37)

That takes you down to 9 picks overall and 6 in the top 4 rounds instead of 8. Seems like what KC would do/will do with its capital. Trade up, trade down to recoup some value, trade up again.

Here's what I land with:

1.21 - Karlaftis
2.37 - Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma
2.50 - Jalen Pitre, S/CB, Baylor
2.62 - John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
3.80 - Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss
3.101 - Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati
6.183 - James Houston IV, LB/DE, Jackson State
7.233 - Tre Turner, WR, Va. TEch
7.251 - Smoke Monday, S, Auburn
I like that draft a lot.
[Reply]