ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>17-String Bass
alpha_omega 01:04 PM 11-11-2022
Cool or comical?

Fans who saw ZZ Top during their recent tour stop in Huntsville, Ala. witnessed an unusual sight, as bassist Elwood Francis briefly performed using an oversized 17-string bass.

The mammoth instrument wasn’t just a prop. Francis proved it could actually be played by using the bass for ZZ Top’s first number of the night, the 1983 Eliminator tune “Got Me Under Pressure.” In fan-shot video (see below) the bassist can be seen strumming along on the comically large device, much to the delight of frontman Billy Gibbons.

No explanation was initially given for the giant instrument, as Francis moved to a more traditional bass for the rest of the concert.

As it turns out, the behemoth bass was actually the result of some late-night web browsing. Yes, ZZ Top discovered their newest instrument in the same way that average people end up buying weird gadgets and gizmos on Amazon.

"I was doing night internet searching [and] turned up a picture of this crazy 17 string bass,” Francis explained in response to an inquiry from UCR. “I sent a picture to Billy and we laughed about it and made some jokes about actually trying to use it.”

The story could have ended there… but where’s the fun in that?

“A few weeks later, after I had forgotten about it, Billy shows up with [the 17 string bass],” Francis explained, describing the situation as “one of those ‘hold my beer’ moments."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/zz-t...edium=referral
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:15 PM 11-11-2022
Does it djent?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:25 PM 11-11-2022
Comical. 4 is fine and 5 is more than enough.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 05:35 PM 11-12-2022
I’d love to see a reggae bassist have a go at this instrument! Or Victor Wooten.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 10:46 AM 11-14-2022
it's a bit overkill but it's rock and roll so being a little bit ridiculous on stage is just fine

The biggest issue with basses with a ton of strings is making sure the other strings don't ring when you play and they can be a pain in the ass (probably why he only had it out for one song). hopefully their sound guy has a good sense of humor about it
[Reply]
Holladay 12:40 AM 11-15-2022
He must have VERY big hands.

Promo gig or just having fun. Matters not:-)
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:22 AM 11-15-2022
17 strings...why that number? Why not 16 or 18?

I MUST KNOW!!
[Reply]
Lzen 06:16 PM 11-15-2022
That is just ridiculous.
[Reply]
Up