ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 94
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:39 PM 02-13-2014
Yep, NewChief beat me to it.
[Reply]
Brock 11:40 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by NewChief:
He went deep undercover at that point. That was his cover for why he disappeared for a while and went off the grid. It's bullshit. He was really preparing to infiltrate the biker gang and didn't want the local PD interfering. Years later, he's sticking to that story in the depositions, bit we, as the audience, are privy to what actually happened.
Why is he sticking to that story?
[Reply]
NewChief 11:41 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Brock:
Why is he sticking to that story?
We don't really know yet.

Just guessing, but for one thing: it's illegal and he engaged in illegal activities during that time, something he doesn't want on the record. It wasn't an approved operation, and he could still get in trouble or have the case blown due to gathering evidence during that time. There may be more to it as well as the series plays out, though.
[Reply]
Brock 11:49 PM 02-13-2014

Just guessing, but for one thing: it's illegal and he engaged in illegal activities during that time, something he doesn't want on the record. It wasn't an approved operation, and he could still get in trouble or have the case blown due to gathering evidence during that time. There may be more to it as well as the series plays out, though.
I'll buy that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:30 AM 02-14-2014

And even if the operation was up and up he wasn't in his jurisdiction. Shit, he wasn't even in his state.

The investigation was in LA, the biker gang was in TX.

Harping on the details reminds me. When the tension rachets up in this show, I lose all perspective on what the goals are, who the good and bad guys are, what needs to be accomplished, etc., and it feels like a purposeful aim of the directors/writers, to make things so hectic that you are so in the moment that you get that 'fog of war' that must be going through MM's and WH's character's heads at that moment.

You have to sit down after viewing and so 'what? why? Ok, so . . . . wait.'

It's an engrossing aspect of the direction of the show.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:46 AM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
And even if the operation was up and up he wasn't in his jurisdiction. Shit, he wasn't even in his state.

The investigation was in LA, the biker gang was in TX.

Harping on the details reminds me. When the tension rachets up in this show, I lose all perspective on what the goals are, who the good and bad guys are, what needs to be accomplished, etc., and it feels like a purposeful aim of the directors/writers, to make things so hectic that you are so in the moment that you get that 'fog of war' that must be going through MM's and WH's character's heads at that moment.

You have to sit down after viewing and so 'what? why? Ok, so . . . . wait.'

It's an engrossing aspect of the direction of the show.
it's pretty dark overall with a slight retro mood, it has a Oliver Stone feel (save 'Savages' which was a peanut enclosed turd,) almost. Not quite, but almost.
[Reply]
NewChief 04:58 PM 02-14-2014
This shit is getting deep. I'm putting the article in spoiler tags because it explores the allusion to the "Yellow King" and what that's all about. While it doesn't really contain spoilers, it does project some possibilities for the future based on the allusion.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Great Expectations 08:40 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Does that Cohle have a nihilistic worldview too?

Although I'm not sure Cohle is as much of a nihilist as he lets on. He's displayed morality and a concern for justice at times throughout the series (in that last shootout, for example, he went out of his way to protect children). It would be interesting to know what he was like before his daughter's death and how much that experience formed his cynicism. Since the investigation in 1995, he's also seemingly gone even further down that path.
There is a great interview with the writer of true detective at the wsj online site. I'd link it, but I'm not very good with my iPad yet.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:41 PM 02-14-2014
Have read some about that Yellow King stuff, but nothing as in depth as that. It seems this show has even more allusions than I thought.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:41 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Great Expectations:
There is a great interview with the writer of true detective at the wsj online site. I'd link it, but I'm not very good with my iPad yet.
I'll check it out.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:46 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Great Expectations:
There is a great interview with the writer of true detective at the wsj online site. Here's the link.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/...rue-detective/
FYP
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:05 PM 02-14-2014
Interesting except from the interview on Cohle's worldview:
Originally Posted by :
Likewise, I wouldn’t want any viewers to assume we had some nihilistic agenda, or reduce Cohle to an anti-natalist or nihilist. Cohle is more complicated than that. As I’ve said recently, Cohle may claim to be a nihilist, but an observation of him reveals otherwise. Far from “nothing meaning anything” to him, it’s almost as though everything means too much to him. He’s too passionate, too acutely sensitive, and he cares too much to be labeled a successful nihilist. And in his monologues, don’t we detect a whiff of desperation akin to someone who protests too much? When Cohle speaks of the unspeakable, is it with the same illusory perspective as when Hart speaks about the importance of having rules and boundaries? Perhaps that is what Hart references when he tells Cohle in episode 3, “You sound panicked.”
Sounds like I was on the right track with him. While Cohle may espouse those nihilistic ideas, his actions throughout the show so far are largely contrary to them.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:29 PM 02-14-2014
This shit is getting deep.
Free Ebook of The Yellow King on Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8492
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:00 PM 02-16-2014
tonight - don't forget.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:02 PM 02-16-2014
here we go.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 94
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Up