ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 62
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 11:39 AM 09-09-2018
I’m halfway through Reaper’s Gale. Loving it so far. I dig the Lether/Edur storylines. I agree with the above about Midnight Tides. My dad talked me into reading Shōgun so I’m taking a break but I’ll be back to it soon.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:55 PM 09-09-2018
I've used GURPS several times and really like its flexibility. Let us know how the campaign goes.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:17 PM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
I've used GURPS several times and really like its flexibility. Let us know how the campaign goes.

I think it’s going to go well. It’s me and two other guys who really just want to play out a story.

We pared down our group considerably. Dumped the old school guy who just wanted to “win” as the DM and dumped the two immature dudes who just wanted to Terry Pratchett the shit out of things.

I’d appreciate any GURPS dm tips, though. Here or in Pm.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 06:18 AM 10-22-2018
this is the first D&D book that i have looked forward to in 30 years

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drag.../dp/0399580948

Dungeons and Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History
[Reply]
patteeu 08:44 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
this is the first D&D book that i have looked forward to in 30 years

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drag.../dp/0399580948

Dungeons and Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History
That book looks pretty cool.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:27 AM 10-23-2018
bought the D&D A&A book in a box set. it came with 5 color prints, 3 mini-posters, 2 posters and a large poster. it also came with a module authored by Gygax; Tomb of Horrors.

I like the book and would recommend it to D&D fans. skip the box set. the extras/box are not worth the additional $70
[Reply]
vailpass 12:37 PM 11-04-2018
Finished Midnight Tides, and I'm about 100 pages into The Bonehunters. Midnight Tides was one of my favorites so far. At first I thought it was taking place far in the past, but everything I've seen says it is shortly before GotM.
That’s good to hear.

I made it through House of Chains. The Karsa Orlong section was excellent. It was not always enjoyable reading though. He is so all over the map with his characters and world building that there is never any rhythm established. Seems like he doesn’t have an editor.

A quarter through Midnight Tides now, this one is flowing better.

I ordered Bonehunters, going to read that next then take a break from Malazan. Ordered a book called Railsea for some lighter reading and to preview for my son.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:42 PM 12-26-2018
Some of you mentioned that you enjoyed "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Just a heads up: there is a sequel coming out next year called "Children of Ruin."

Fair warning: the blurb on Amazon for the sequel spoils the ending of the original.

I just read Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I wasn't crazy about them. Some excellent worldbuilding, and there are some parts of the first book that could work as standalone short stories, but I was disappointed overall.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:30 AM 12-27-2018
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Some of you mentioned that you enjoyed "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Just a heads up: there is a sequel coming out next year called "Children of Ruin."

Fair warning: the blurb on Amazon for the sequel spoils the ending of the original.

I just read Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I wasn't crazy about them. Some excellent worldbuilding, and there are some parts of the first book that could work as standalone short stories, but I was disappointed overall.
Thanks for the heads up on the CoT sequel. I hope this one doesn't include spiders.
I know what you mean about Hyperion. I definitely enjoyed reading them but at the end it felt like it didn't really go anywhere.
[Reply]
bowener 10:38 AM 12-27-2018
I'm on book 5 of The Expanse series, and while I find the story enjoyable to read, the sheer number of coincidences to set it up is just ridiculous. I'm 3/4 through the book, so maybe there is something that explains it in the end beyond just a handwave and a shrug.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:12 PM 12-27-2018
Originally Posted by bowener:
I'm on book 5 of The Expanse series, and while I find the story enjoyable to read, the sheer number of coincidences to set it up is just ridiculous. I'm 3/4 through the book, so maybe there is something that explains it in the end beyond just a handwave and a shrug.
Well, if you're into book 5 you're committed to go to the end. Looks like he has all but the 9th and final one written so he can't give you the GRRM treatment. Which is nice.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 09:31 PM 12-28-2018
Finished The Bonehunters last week. Taking a little break before Reaper's Gale. I just have this sense that all hell is about to break loose.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 12:37 AM 12-29-2018
Finished The Bonehunters last week. Taking a little break before Reaper's Gale. I just have this sense that all hell is about to break loose.
I took a break after Bonehunters, as well. Almost done with Reaper's Gale now. My advice is not to take too long of a break. I started to forget who some of the secondary characters were when I picked it back up. Had to do some cautious wikiing.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:17 AM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
I took a break after Bonehunters, as well. Almost done with Reaper's Gale now. My advice is not to take too long of a break. I started to forget who some of the secondary characters were when I picked it back up. Had to do some cautious wikiing.
I didn't take a break for fear of this happening to me too. It's enough work just keeping up with the main players let alone all of the tertiary characters.
I'm about 1/4 into Reaper's Gale.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 04:47 PM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I didn't take a break for fear of this happening to me too. It's enough work just keeping up with the main players let alone all of the tertiary characters.
I'm about 1/4 into Reaper's Gale.
Yeah, it can be tricky with everything fresh. Just gonna read the whole way through from here.

Man! We got ourselves a regular book club going here.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 62
« First < 283435363738 3940414248 > Last »
Up