ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>VP Harris getting roasted over comment "We've been to the border"
petegz28 08:40 AM 06-08-2021
WATCH: Internet Erupts Over Kamala Harrisí Response To Grilling By NBC For Claiming Admin Has Been To Border

https://www.dailywire.com/news/watch...been-to-border

Vice President Kamala Harris ignited a firestorm online on Tuesday morning after she claimed during an interview with NBC News that the administration has been to the border amid President Joe Bidenís border crisis, which prompted quick pushback from host Lester Holt.

PARTIAL TRANSCRIPT:

LESTER HOLT: Why will it be successful this time if it wasnít in the past?

KAMALA HARRIS: Well, I think there was success about what happened in the past. And again, when you look at what weíre doing now youíre seeing progress. And so letís not overlook progress.

HOLT: Let me just quickly put a button. Do you have any plans to visit the border?

HARRIS: At some point, you know, we are going to the border. Weíve been to the border. So this whole thing about the border. Weíve been to the border. Weíve been to the border.

HOLT: You havenít been to the border.

HARRIS: And I havenít been to Europe. And I mean, I donít understand the point that youíre making. Iím not discounting the importance of the border.

HOLT: Well, I mention it because I know Republicans have certainly come at you on this. But Democratic Congressman Cuellar, has a border district, has said to you and president, ďCome. You need, you need to see this.

HARRIS: I care about, listen, I care about whatís happening at the border. Iím in Guatemala because my focus is dealing with the root causes of migration. There may be some who think that that is not important, but it is my firm belief that if we care about whatís happening at the border, we better care about the root causes and address them. And so thatís what Iím doing.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 10:43 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I don't disagree, and we might not be able to "fix" those countries no matter what we try. That would leave the "make the US a shittier place to live" option. I'm not keen on that one either.
Option 3, throw our resources to stemming the tide at the border. No, you won't stop all of it, but holy shit it's out of control right now. It IS making America a shittier place to live. So your other option that you are not keen on is already happening, though I'm sure we will disagree on that.

All I'm saying is, if you have the will, you can secure the damn border. After that, you can work on other shit. It's the same argument that has been used since the fucking 90's. Nobody ever actually does it though. The last guy who tried was laughed at for his complexion and weight, but he was not wrong about what was wrong at the border and how to fix it. JMO.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:44 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Do you really believe that?

Do you think that if Detoxing had faced no opposition in the streets in the bureaucracy, in the states, in the media, in Congress, in his own party, . . . or even if the opposition had been less vociferous across the board, we would still have caved and said 'just kidding!! Don't call my bluff here people?'

We don't elect kings. Nothing as thorny as ending illegal immigration will be done by one person.

Do you really think the entire effort was all for show? And if so, to what end? He's a supposed egomaniac, why put so much capital into such an ego bruising effort?
I guess I made that comment because it's not a failsafe plan.

Other than Trump, most politicians are too concerned about votes to go the full nine with illegal immigration enforcement.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:46 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Option 3, throw our resources to stemming the tide at the border. No, you won't stop all of it, but holy shit it's out of control right now. It IS making America a shittier place to live. So your other option that you are not keen on is already happening, though I'm sure we will disagree on that.

All I'm saying is, if you have the will, you can secure the damn border. After that, you can work on other shit. It's the same argument that has been used since the ****ing 90's. Nobody ever actually does it though. The last guy who tried was laughed at for his complexion and weight, but he was not wrong about what was wrong at the border and how to fix it. JMO.
Yep. Itís not a question of ability, itís a matter of resolve.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:48 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:

Other than Detoxing, most politicians are too concerned about votes to go the full nine with illegal immigration enforcement.
I would have more respect for Republican politicians if they were actually worried about votes. But, with regards to immigration, their worry is about wallets, almost exclusively the wallets of their megadonors and themselves.

And it's been that way for decades.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:49 AM 06-08-2021
At least the media is holding their feet to the fire on this.

They just let Obama go in dry for eight years.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 10:50 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:

All I'm saying is, if you have the will, you can secure the damn border. After that, you can work on other shit. It's the same argument that has been used since the ****ing 90's. Nobody ever actually does it though. The last guy who tried was laughed at for his complexion and weight, but he was not wrong about what was wrong at the border and how to fix it. JMO.
We could certainly decrease the number of illegals, but at some point it becomes a matter of expense versus results. How many billions are we willing to spend to stop 50,000 immigrants per year? 10,000? 1,000?

I think it's similar to the war on drugs. No matter how much we stop, more will always get through because demand is high.
[Reply]
ChiTown 10:53 AM 06-08-2021
I thought Pence was an empty suit, but Sidepiece is a whole 'nother level of VP worthlessness.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:53 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:

Other than Detoxing, most politicians are too concerned about votes to go the full nine with illegal immigration enforcement.
He won 2016 due to his hardline immigration stance
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-whole-story/

So no, this isnít about votes at all. Itís about donors.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:55 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
That does nothing to change that the reality is that until the dumpster fire countries are safer and more desirable, we will be getting hordes heading our way.

Hell, it's good for us if they are stable as it they become markets for our exports.

This isn't rocket science man.
What are we going to export to Guatemala? More fuel? Coal? If we can't burn it here, why would we want them burning it there? What else do we make at scale that their population can both afford and demand?

How about corn, lets send them a shit load of corn in exchange for widgets. I'd fully support using their labor, instead of China's, to make some of our worthless widgets.

Now that we've thrown a few billion dollars a year at the problem, can we put gun turrets and drones on the border and start over stocking alligators in the river yet?
[Reply]
Pennywise 10:58 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by ghak99:
What are we going to export to Guatemala? More fuel? Coal? If we can't burn it here, why would we want them burning it there? What else do we make at scale that their population can both afford and demand?

How about corn, lets send them a shit load of corn in exchange for widgets. I'd fully support using their labor, instead of China's, to make some of our worthless widgets.

Now that we've thrown a few billion dollars a year at the problem, can we put gun turrets and drones on the border and start over stocking alligators in the river yet?
For that to happen all they would have to do is hint at voting GOP when they get amnesty.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 10:58 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
We could certainly decrease the number of illegals, but at some point it becomes a matter of expense versus results. How many billions are we willing to spend to stop 50,000 immigrants per year? 10,000? 1,000?

I think it's similar to the war on drugs. No matter how much we stop, more will always get through because demand is high.
Maybe similar, but definitely not the same. Immigrants don't go away when they are used like drugs. They populate, they eat, they need shelter, they bring disease, poverty, a language and culture barrier and they have dangerous criminals mixed in with decent people. One bad apple ruins the whole barrel as the saying goes.

If they go through a process of getting here that is legal, then welcome to America...but that's not what's happening here. It is a huge drain on our own resources now. If you put a bunch of resources into it to STOP it, I would wager there would be a net gain over time, and it really wouldn't take that long.

It requires the WILL to enforce the border and have some order to things...Americans apparently have lost that will...It's not about hating people, it's about being pragmatic. And maybe the shit holes they are coming from need to be fixed, but that's not our problem nor really within our power to do.

Kamala is a joke on this...as she is on most things.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:00 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I thought Pence was an empty suit, but Sidepiece is a whole 'nother level of VP worthlessness.
Yea. She comes across as very empty.

Sheís a typical career politician. Will say anything to herself elected and further her career. She doesnít actually care about the American people.

I think she probably should visit the border. At least probably build a perception sheís at least trying or caring to do something.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:36 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
She must've turned down his advances
She's never turned down any advance...
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:41 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by ghak99:

Another person who can't see past the end of their own nose.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 01:24 PM 06-08-2021
I was in Guatemala on a mission trip for my church in 2017. The problems on the ground there are multiple, complex and painful. They are just getting over a 40 year civil war that ended in like 1996. In the 40 years, literally an entire generation was virtually wiped out, so now you have either very old adults or very young adults trying to run a corrupt country. The villages are spread out over mountains, there are over 10 Mayan languages that they speak, and before the military built roads to go and kill everyone, they were largely out of communication. So there is language barriers and cultural barriers along with everything else.

Alcoholism is rampant amongst the young men who are poorly educated and desperate, but unable to earn a living. I mean, these people are ****ing poor, unlike anything we've seen here in the US.

Water is gold. We installed filtration systems down there, which the local churches sold the people for 30.00 each...and they took payments on them because people don't have 30.00 whole dollars to give for something like that. The school system can only use the major water companies in Guatemala (Agua Pura in the place we were) for clean water, which costs. Basically, we have Big Tobacco, they have Big Water. The Church is trying to build water treatment plants in some of the villages...but there is genuine fear of sabotage or worse.

They are a people largely without hope or direction. The ones we stayed with were happy, simple farmers who had cement structures to live in, some had dirt floors and the livestock was in and out of the "house" that they lived in. But we were urged not to show them pictures of our homes in the US, because they would look at us and assume we were millionaires.

Point is, it's about a ton more than "just jobs". That is a country that is ****ed up beyond all recognition politically. If you think the US is corrupt (and it is), go spend some time down in Guatemala, or Honduras, or El Salvador. It's a beautiful part of the world that has been completely screwed up beyond all recognition by many different forces for many different years. I was there for only 12 days, and it opened the fuck outta my eyes.

Yeah, these people are desperate. Yeah, they want a better life, and yeah, they'll scrape as much money as they can to sneak in to America for a year or two because they will make more at under the table slave wages in America in a year then they will in a lifetime back home.

I'm not saying screw them. I'm saying, we have to enforce our border, and somehow encourage those governments to fix their shit. It's not going to happen overnight, and Kamala going down there to look at "root causes" is ****ing stupid as hell.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up