ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
The Gonzo Lounge>Britt Reid hearing/arraignment day.
SuperBowl4 09:13 AM 06-07-2021
- Pleads Not Guilty -
[Reply]
DaFace 04:07 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
:-)

See, there's a difference between sarcastically joking and just avoiding the question. I'll wait while someone answers what they think should happen with Britt.....
OK, so what do YOU think should happen to him without due process? That seems to be what you're arguing for here.

My vote is "let the legal process take its course, and he'll get what's coming to him." Controversial, I know.
[Reply]
mkp785 04:08 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
If he's found guilty? I'd say prison and restitution. What do YOU think he should get IF he's found guilty?

BTW, he probably is, but we have courts for that sort of thing, not message board heroes. Thank God...
Well I think they should nail him with attempted vehicular manslaughter. This isn't his 1st time being caught being violently drunk behind the wheel. He knew what would happen and didn't care. Manslaughter. IMO.

I don't live in MO/KS so I'm not sure what the max time he can serve is for that...but whatever that number is. That's what he should do.

Edit: They should also liquidate his bank account and other things and send that over to the girl for restitution as well. That money she has via gofundme is nice, but that has nothing to do with Britt needing to fork over everything he owns.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:13 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
He's facing a charge of "causing" seriously injury while under the influence so if it was proved that he was not at fault for the collision then I don't see how prosecution can prove the causation element of that crime. So it wouldn't throw out the dui test results but could lead to a not guilty on that one charge. There would still be a standard dui charge though.

Also, pleading not guilty at arraignment is not news since almost everyone does that at that point.
Yep. Assuming the BAC test was done properly, it's pretty unlikely he'd get off without at least a DUI. But the kinds of things that they'll look at for fault would be:
Unlike online message boards, court cases are all about nuance. The answers to those questions and a million others that a defense attorney will look at will be what determines the outcome.
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 04:36 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yep. Assuming the BAC test was done properly, it's pretty unlikely he'd get off without at least a DUI. But the kinds of things that they'll look at for fault would be:
  • Was the disabled vehicle fully out of the lane?
  • Were the disabled vehicle's hazards on?
  • Were there other lights on?
Unlike online message boards, court cases are all about nuance. The answers to those questions and a million others that a defense attorney will look at will be what determines the outcome.
Causation in the legal world could be a lot different than what a lot of people think. Even if the victim was partially at fault, he could still be found to have caused the collision. Some states say that just being a substantial factor in causing the collision is enough to have "caused" it. However, if he is not at fault at all, then it's hard to see how he caused the injury. This doesn't seem likely though given his speed and other circumstances of the crash.
[Reply]
oldman 09:00 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Well I think they should nail him with attempted vehicular manslaughter. This isn't his 1st time being caught being violently drunk behind the wheel. He knew what would happen and didn't care. Manslaughter. IMO.

Edit: They should also liquidate his bank account and other things and send that over to the girl for restitution as well. That money she has via gofundme is nice, but that has nothing to do with Britt needing to fork over everything he owns.
First of all, you can't charge him with manslaughter because no one died, Second, he had no idea that someone would have a disabled vehicle on the ramp.

I'm sure that Britt Reid will have his pocketbook lightened, but that's a civil suit, not a criminal one. Britt, not Andy, not Clark -- Britt.

WTF is "violently drunk"? Dude, you're just making a fool of yourself.
[Reply]
Otter 09:08 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by oldman:
First of all, you can't charge him with manslaughter because no one died, Second, he had no idea that someone would have a disabled vehicle on the ramp.

I'm sure that Britt Reid will have his pocketbook lightened, but that's a civil suit, not a criminal one. Britt, not Andy, not Clark -- Britt.

WTF is "violently drunk"? Dude, you're just making a fool of yourself.
Go back and read some of that things posts. Pretty amazing.

This post has put perspective into what I was thinking beforehand.
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:11 AM Yesterday

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:33 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by mkp785:
:-)

See, there's a difference between sarcastically joking and just avoiding the question. I'll wait while someone answers what they think should happen with Britt.....
You are such a drama queen...:-)
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 09:33 AM Yesterday
Prediction without full knowledge of the facts (in hallowed CP tradition): Britt pleads, loses his DL for two years and does five years probation for DUI with community service and counseling requirements.

A civil suit follows. Maybe it ends in trial. Maybe not. Either way, Britt winds up broke. He becomes wealthy again when Andy dies.

The Chiefs organization settles out of court when suit is brought against it after Britt’s personal situation is settled. Terms are not released.
[Reply]
mkp785 10:32 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by oldman:
First of all, you can't charge him with manslaughter because no one died, Second, he had no idea that someone would have a disabled vehicle on the ramp.

I'm sure that Britt Reid will have his pocketbook lightened, but that's a civil suit, not a criminal one. Britt, not Andy, not Clark -- Britt.

WTF is "violently drunk"? Dude, you're just making a fool of yourself.
So your turn. What should he be charged with and what time-if any should he do?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:34 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by mkp785:
So your turn. What should he be charged with and what time-if any should he do?
We already talked about this. Firing squad. Acid. Andy too. Maybe rip off some toenails while we're at it.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:35 AM Yesterday

[Reply]
mkp785 10:38 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by DaFace:
We already talked about this. Firing squad. Acid. Andy too. Maybe rip off some toenails while we're at it.
^^^^
Doesn't want to commit to an answer. Come on, just try a little here. Pretend that he didn't have the last name 'Reid'
[Reply]
DaFace 10:56 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by mkp785:
^^^^
Doesn't want to commit to an answer. Come on, just try a little here. Pretend that he didn't have the last name 'Reid'
You're missing the point. Deciding on a verdict and punishment without knowing the facts is the stuff of dictatorships. Have fun with that.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 10:56 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by mkp785:
So your turn. What should he be charged with and what time-if any should he do?
Personally, I’d want him to do 364 days in a county jail. I lean toward thinking he won’t be locked up more than 30 days, though, if at all.

Edit: I’ll freely admit that if you’ve had anything at all to drink and you were driving a car, no matter what happened next you don’t want me on your jury.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up