ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Bill Maher: The College Scam
mr. tegu 02:39 PM 06-05-2021
Lots of truth here about the system in general and some commentary on problems with free college.

https://youtu.be/_x5SeXNabd8
[Reply]
jettio 11:44 AM 06-07-2021
Biden's plan emphasizes community colleges that have specialized training for trades or local employers.

Maher could have criticized the college system without misrepresenting what Biden has put forward.

Seems like a lot of posters in this thread would agree with the major part of Biden's actual proposal.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 11:58 AM 06-07-2021
I got out of high school, went to one year at University of Nebraska at Omaha, knocked up my girlfriend, and left college because I needed to make some cash to support my new family. I basically went to the school of hard knocks. I'm now a very comfortable middle class computer professional. I got some certifications early on and the rest was just working my way up. All done without student loans or any of that crap.

I dunno. College has its place, but it's not necessary and it's not for everyone. I know people who are freaking out trying to pay for their kid's college, meanwhile the kids are taking 4-6 years to finish a worthless bachelors degree just to start out on the ground level of their chosen field anyway. I'm not anti-college, but I told both my kids that if they wanted it we could help but we're not paying for University. Community College is the best I would give.

Both my kids now make damn good money and are in way better shape than I was at their age. One got a bachelors (finally...there was a lot to that though) and the other got out of the Marines, took a few classes, got some certifications and experience, and now he makes more than I do.

College is not a necessity. It's an option. One that people should have to pay for if the want it, but there is no need for taxpayers to subsidize it. IMHO.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 02:07 PM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Sorry I called you a liar (although technically I didnt) when it's clear you're just very dumb.

Would you go into a restaurant and ask how much your meal is going to be before you know what you are going to eat? Same principle. You have to know what you're getting before you can get a price. And it's been awhile but all the informational meetings I went to were led by students. So not the best source of information about the financial cost. The bursar's office would have been a much more logical place to ask those questions.
To be fair though it doesn't sound like he wanted an invoice, just a ballpark. And to your restaurant example while I can't tell you to the penny what your meal will cost but if you go to McDonalds you can expect to spend roughly $7-$9 for a meal. If you go to Applebee's you'll probably pay more like $15-$20. You see I can tell you roughly what you're going to pay without knowing what you're going to order.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 02:31 PM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
How is the right proposing to fix the issue of affordable higher education?
Stop being involved in any way at all with lending money to prospective students that can't afford higher education.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 02:33 PM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
First things first, get the federal government out of the studen loan business. And regulate what colleges can charge....
There will be no need to regulate prices when prices are plummeting to a cost that prospective students can actually afford without loans.
[Reply]
jdubya 09:29 PM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
To be fair though it doesn't sound like he wanted an invoice, just a ballpark. And to your restaurant example while I can't tell you to the penny what your meal will cost but if you go to McDonalds you can expect to spend roughly $7-$9 for a meal. If you go to Applebee's you'll probably pay more like $15-$20. You see I can tell you roughly what you're going to pay without knowing what you're going to order.
Pretty much. I didn't think what I typed was that controversial. Something triggered him to suddenly lash out. Maybe he is just having a bad day. It's all good
[Reply]
vonBobo 10:22 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco:
Stop being involved in any way at all with lending money to prospective students that can't afford higher education.
So the right is ok with poor people barriers. Worker class. Caste.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 10:24 AM 06-08-2021
You don't need a college degree to get a great paying job. You do have to work. Hired a guy a few months back paying 150k plus...no college ever. It's a highly technical position that's based on years of experience but it can be done.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:44 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
So the right is ok with poor people barriers. Worker class. Caste.
Hard work will take care of barriers and a thing call try.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:08 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
You don't need a college degree to get a great paying job. You do have to work. Hired a guy a few months back paying 150k plus...no college ever. It's a highly technical position that's based on years of experience but it can be done.
Depends on the job. Doctor, lawyers, teachers, veterinarian....of course you do.

But there are plenty of degrees where you donít get a good return on investment.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 11:21 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Depends on the job. Doctor, lawyers, teachers, veterinarian....of course you do.

But there are plenty of degrees where you donít get a good return on investment.
You can even get those degrees and not get the intended ROI. Sometimes it's attitude...sometimes its just right place/right time.

I do, strongly agree, that there are degrees that have a very low chance of any ROI. At least...not financial ROI. People that get master's degrees in teaching elementary education will probably not have financial ROI. But that depends what if someone took the education and experience and wrote a ground breaking book or research about elementary education. It's possible...which brings me to my point...regardless of education people are really restrained by their own mind and not opportunity. Meaning you can create opportunity and don't have to wait for someone to "give"" it to you like many liberals suggest.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:48 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Need more emphasis on trade schools.

Shop classes need to be a school requirement for HS boys.
Girls too. The amount of things I've been able to fix/build from just my experience with high school shop has saved me a ton of money over the decades.

Plus it is a great intro to what might be a great career for those less inclined towards office work.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:08 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Need more emphasis on trade schools.

Shop classes need to be a school requirement for HS boys.

Unless you're going the STEM or Legal route, college (especially the liberal arts field) is a worthless financial Ponzi scheme and most degrees are worth about as much as the paper they're printed on.
Eviscerating school funding by enacting unfunded mandates that have a hyperfocus on testing core-subjects is what happened there. Overhaul standardized testing and give funding to schools for those programs and those programs will return en masse. My wife and I's districts have tried to bring back shop for three years but can't get the funding necessary to do it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:09 PM 06-08-2021
You can even get those degrees and not get the intended ROI. Sometimes it's attitude...sometimes its just right place/right time.

I do, strongly agree, that there are degrees that have a very low chance of any ROI. At least...not financial ROI. People that get master's degrees in teaching elementary education will probably not have financial ROI. But that depends what if someone took the education and experience and wrote a ground breaking book or research about elementary education. It's possible...which brings me to my point...regardless of education people are really restrained by their own mind and not opportunity. Meaning you can create opportunity and don't have to wait for someone to "give"" it to you like many liberals suggest.
100% agree.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 01:20 PM 06-08-2021

It's funny that you use my degree as an example. I have a masters in elementary administration. The amount of money I spent on just the masters was made up by my increase in pay in less than 5 years. And because of my scholarships, one year of teaching paid my cost of my bachelor's degree.

So in total, I taught for 6 years and made more than I spent on my education. And missouri teachers retirement system is pretty damn solid, so if I had continued I'd be set in retirement. As it is I have an extra years worth of salary already in a retirement account that's not included in the above calculations.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up