ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Bill Maher: The College Scam
mr. tegu 02:39 PM 06-05-2021
Lots of truth here about the system in general and some commentary on problems with free college.

https://youtu.be/_x5SeXNabd8
[Reply]
GayFrogs 09:15 PM 06-06-2021
Trade jobs and stronger unions will make college obsolete. It's barely part of the discussion...most americans seem to forget that unions are a thing.
[Reply]
GayFrogs 09:18 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by Pogue:
I’ll never forget Ben Affleck on his panel, was way out of his league with the other intellectuals discussing Islam etc. :-)
:-)...that was gold. Plus, never forget christopher hitchens owning maher's retarded audience.

[Reply]
phisherman 09:23 PM 06-06-2021
Hitchens owned pretty much everyone.
[Reply]
Pogue 02:00 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
He’s friends with Ann Coulter and he’s admitted he’s more of a Libertarian
Maher defends Israel.

[Reply]
Bob Dole 04:08 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
It could stand to go down a little but I have less of an issue with teachers making too much when compared to useless ****ing administration that does nothing and makes 2-3x more.
I worked at a university for nearly 20 years and when I left in 2017, almost all of them made less than 60k a year. We also had 2 $10,000 Bachelors programs.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 07:55 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Have talked with multiple college finance offices regarding what the cost will be for my kid to attend if I just pay it all up front with no loan. Most won’t give me an answer and then try to steer me towards a “great low interest loan”. I tell them I don’t want or need a loan, please just give me the actual cost per semester with cash up front. Most never give me a hard number. Colleges are nothing more than lending institutions nowadays. They are in the banking business.
This seems to be a lie. It's not hard at all to find out the cost per credit hour. Or the cost of a dorm room. Maybe the problem isn't not having a loan but more of an issue that you can't tell them the details of which courses and how many and what dorm you want your kid in.
[Reply]
notorious 08:18 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by GayFrogs:
:-)...that was gold. Plus, never forget christopher hitchens owning maher's retarded audience.

That guy has balls of steel.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 09:41 AM 06-07-2021
Have talked with multiple college finance offices regarding what the cost will be for my kid to attend if I just pay it all up front with no loan. Most won’t give me an answer and then try to steer me towards a “great low interest loan”. I tell them I don’t want or need a loan, please just give me the actual cost per semester with cash up front. Most never give me a hard number. Colleges are nothing more than lending institutions nowadays. They are in the banking business.
This seems odd, as colleges are required by federal financial aid guidelines to post total cost of attendance, displaying examples (ex: tuition + fees + books + housing and a sample for those living at home during college).
[Reply]
jdubya 09:44 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
This seems to be a lie. It's not hard at all to find out the cost per credit hour. Or the cost of a dorm room. Maybe the problem isn't not having a loan but more of an issue that you can't tell them the details of which courses and how many and what dorm you want your kid in.
Thanks for the insult but I will respond nicely anyway. This was during college tours and informational meetings prior to my kid even enrolling so he wasn’t assigned a dorm yet nor enrolled in classes. “Credit hours” I had never heard of until much later. Again when I wanted a good ball park they just kept pushing for a student loan. If they had just explained “credit hours” from the beginning I wouldn’t have made my post now would I?

Interesting you accuse one of lying before maybe asking more questions
[Reply]
tyecopeland 10:40 AM 06-07-2021
Thanks for the insult but I will respond nicely anyway. This was during college tours and informational meetings prior to my kid even enrolling so he wasn’t assigned a dorm yet nor enrolled in classes. “Credit hours” I had never heard of until much later. Again when I wanted a good ball park they just kept pushing for a student loan. If they had just explained “credit hours” from the beginning I wouldn’t have made my post now would I?

Interesting you accuse one of lying before maybe asking more questions
Sorry I called you a liar (although technically I didnt) when it's clear you're just very dumb.

Would you go into a restaurant and ask how much your meal is going to be before you know what you are going to eat? Same principle. You have to know what you're getting before you can get a price. And it's been awhile but all the informational meetings I went to were led by students. So not the best source of information about the financial cost. The bursar's office would have been a much more logical place to ask those questions.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:40 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by phisherman:
We must stop stigmatizing the trades while overblowing the value of a four year degree in non-practical disciplines. If you're getting a bachelor's in gender studies, you have one choice going forward and that's to be a professor of gender studies. A bachelor's in business management can go a lot of different directions.
We also need to stop this stupid notion that shoveling people into a "practical discipline" will save the day.

A college education is a college education. You either put time into college or you don't. If you do, you'll get a lot out of it and be successful. If you don't, you're not going to reap its applicable skills regardless of your major.

An academic major shouldn't be a career decider. In many instances, yes, it can be, but should it be? If somebody really really wants to study history, then let them study history. They're just as likely to succeed in business management or whatever post-college if they're intelligent, hard-working, and adaptive in their mindset to surrounding circumstances. That's what a college education gives you.

There's nothing wrong with a business management education provided that's what you're actually interested in. Otherwise, yes, you ARE better off making your focus of academic learning one of those dreaded unpractical disciplines.
[Reply]
jdubya 11:02 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Sorry I called you a liar (although technically I didnt) when it's clear you're just very dumb.

Would you go into a restaurant and ask how much your meal is going to be before you know what you are going to eat? Same principle. You have to know what you're getting before you can get a price. And it's been awhile but all the informational meetings I went to were led by students. So not the best source of information about the financial cost. The bursar's office would have been a much more logical place to ask those questions.
You seem to be full of projections today and I am sorry you feel that way. Take care and good luck
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:20 AM 06-07-2021
Need more emphasis on trade schools.

Shop classes need to be a school requirement for HS boys.

Unless you're going the STEM or Legal route, college (especially the liberal arts field) is a worthless financial Ponzi scheme and most degrees are worth about as much as the paper they're printed on.
[Reply]
Otter 11:31 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Need more emphasis on trade schools.

Shop classes need to be a school requirement for HS boys.

Unless you're going the STEM or Legal route, college (especially the liberal arts field) is a worthless financial Ponzi scheme and most degrees are worth about as much as the paper they're printed on.
CAD, CNC, PLC are not bad paying jobs and in high demand w/o having to pay some jagoff that probably can't change a car tire to preach 3 hours a week.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:34 AM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by GayFrogs:
Trade jobs and stronger unions will make college obsolete. It's barely part of the discussion...most americans seem to forget that unions are a thing.
I don't think they would make colleges obsolete, but I mostly agree with you. The decline of unions was not good for the middle class, and that's an understatement.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up