ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Bill Maher: The College Scam
mr. tegu 02:39 PM 06-05-2021
Lots of truth here about the system in general and some commentary on problems with free college.

https://youtu.be/_x5SeXNabd8
[Reply]
vonBobo 12:21 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Easy peasy....
Isn't that the same argument conservatives argue against when it comes to bloated CEO salaries?
And how are we going to regulate what professors are going to earn?
[Reply]
vonBobo 01:53 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
First things first, get the federal government out of the studen loan business. And regulate what colleges can charge....
What changes when the gov gets out of tuition loans?

Is regulating college profit even a right wing initiative? Seems unlikely either party would have the guts to do so.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:39 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
I would go for community college being "basic". Today's basic is lacking a lot of things.
It's definitely lacking in the teaching of life skills, but I'd be willing to have a discussion on whether or not that should be the responsibility of the public school system.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:41 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
What changes when the gov gets out of tuition loans?
Maybe that will limit the number of 17-18 yr old kids with no real world financial understanding from accumulating a potentially crippling amount of debt in order to obtain useless college degrees?
[Reply]
vonBobo 03:55 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Maybe that will limit the number of 17-18 yr old kids with no real world financial understanding from accumulating a potentially crippling amount of debt in order to obtain useless college degrees?
Ok, so what happens next? How does that solve the problem of the poors not having access to higher education?
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:57 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
Ok, so what happens next? How does that solve the problem of the poors not having access to higher education?
That's not a problem.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:46 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
One is public for basic education and the other is elective by choice.

Big difference.

If you want free college, first lower college professors salaries by 60-70% to be in line with normal teachers and lets see if they go for it.

If not fuck free college and their bloated costs.
It could stand to go down a little but I have less of an issue with teachers making too much when compared to useless fucking administration that does nothing and makes 2-3x more.
[Reply]
jdubya 04:56 PM 06-06-2021
Have talked with multiple college finance offices regarding what the cost will be for my kid to attend if I just pay it all up front with no loan. Most won’t give me an answer and then try to steer me towards a “great low interest loan”. I tell them I don’t want or need a loan, please just give me the actual cost per semester with cash up front. Most never give me a hard number. Colleges are nothing more than lending institutions nowadays. They are in the banking business.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:12 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
He's starting to see how ****ed up the left has become.
This dude has been in this exact place politically since like, 2014. I honestly have no idea which demographics/age group watch his show anymore.
[Reply]
Pogue 07:09 PM 06-06-2021
I’ll never forget Ben Affleck on his panel, was way out of his league with the other intellectuals discussing Islam etc. :-)
[Reply]
phisherman 08:04 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by Pogue:
Iíll never forget Ben Affleck on his panel, was way out of his league with the other intellectuals discussing Islam etc. :-)
Honestly though, it's hard to go up against someone like Sam Harris about radical Islam. Sam has done his homework.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:15 PM 06-06-2021
A million times....pay for job training, trades, computer programming,

We would have the greatest economy ever.
[Reply]
phisherman 08:27 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
A million times....pay for job training, trades, computer programming,

We would have the greatest economy ever.
We must stop stigmatizing the trades while overblowing the value of a four year degree in non-practical disciplines. If you're getting a bachelor's in gender studies, you have one choice going forward and that's to be a professor of gender studies. A bachelor's in business management can go a lot of different directions.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:31 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by phisherman:
We must stop stigmatizing the trades while overblowing the value of a four year degree in non-practical disciplines. If you're getting a bachelor's in gender studies, you have one choice going forward and that's to be a professor of gender studies. A bachelor's in business management can go a lot of different directions.
Agreed.

Show me a person with a degree in gender studies I will show you a person that works at Starbucks.

How about i add training for welding, machine work, electrical, plumbing and auto mechanics etc..

And if that plumber wants to go to college later, they can.
[Reply]
RubberSponge 08:33 PM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Have talked with multiple college finance offices regarding what the cost will be for my kid to attend if I just pay it all up front with no loan. Most won’t give me an answer and then try to steer me towards a “great low interest loan”. I tell them I don’t want or need a loan, please just give me the actual cost per semester with cash up front. Most never give me a hard number. Colleges are nothing more than lending institutions nowadays. They are in the banking business.
Why not just ask them the amount per credit hour?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up